Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean models and color of dial/bezel - your opinions?

1. scott784 Mar 3, 2021

Lots of folks on here have their favorite Omega model. For example, I know the Speedy is very popular! And of course with good reason. I like it too!

But this post is just about opinions/perceptions of the different dial and bezel colors on the PO. Personally, I like a bit of contrast on a watch - but in a bit more of a conservative way. For example, I think the SMP 300m on white dial with black bezel offers a striking look. A good way that is not blingy. I just use that as an example of what looks good in my eyes. Something that can be sporty but also dress up (at least a bit) if you like.

Back to the PO (which is what this post is about). What do you guys think of the black dial with bezel that has the orange accent between the 12 and 3? This is reference number 215.30.44.21.01.002. I have yet to see this in person. However, my first perception of seeing it online was very good. It seems to give just enough orange (but not too much) to give the dial and bezel a bit more contrast without being too much. Orange is an interesting color (in my eyes) in that it can give some interesting color. But too much of it (unlike a neutral color) and it can be off putting - at least to some people.

So what is your opinion/perception on this reference? Does it appear interesting (to you) while still staying a bit more conservative? Are do you simply prefer the black dial and bezel or blue dial and bezel? Which of course may be considered more traditional colors (i.e. black being neutral and blue being so universally liked).

I realize this is only personal preference (to anyone). But I am just curious of others' perception about this particular model? I look forward to seeing it (in person) soon.

2. texasmade Mar 3, 2021

I like the orange and black colorway.

3. OmegaFan503 Mar 3, 2021

Black all the way! I have the 39.5mm black PO

IMG_20210226_120311.jpg
    kangajack likes this.
  4. fc3861 Mar 3, 2021

I was in my local boutique the other day and actually had that same watch on my wrist. I also tried on and compared to the all black. I was ready to buy one and could not decide between the two. The history of the PO says orange was their thing and many of the POs feature orange accents or even more. With that watch though, all I could think about was Halloween colors and the orange seemed to stick out. Also, the 6, 9, and 12 are orange which is different from the black bezel version.

I was torn because I love the interesting history and DNA that makes the Omega watches unique - such as this orange color. However, in the end, I could not get on board with it and I've pretty much decided my next watch will be the all black version.

5. scott784 Mar 3, 2021

I can see how those color combinations could remind you of Halloween. That being said, personally, I think accents of orange with a black dial look much better than accents of orange with a white dial (other versions Omega has that don't speak to me) I like white dial watches - but not so much in combination orange bezels. As for orange itself, I find it interesting on a watch - but it would be off putting for me if there was "too" much of it! How much is too much varies by individual tastes.

For me, it really comes down to 1) the PO black dial and bezel with no orange accents on the bezel (just the seamaster logo, tip of seconds hand, and 600m logo "or" 2) the reference that I have posted about here - which is similar but has the orange accent between the 12 and 3 on the bezel "and" orange on the 12 6 and 9. This version does have more pop, but I can see how some may not prefer it.

It's a tough call between these two for sure. One is more traditional with hardly no orange except for the small lettering on the dial, or the posted reference version that I talked about that has that bit of pop on the bezel between 12 and 3. Pic below. Any thoughts or opinions from others about this reference in terms of how appealing "you" think it is versus other current versions of PO, especially the plain black one? There's obviously no right or wrong answer here. Just your opinion or perception.

upload_2021-3-3_23-41-27.png

6. Alfista88 Mar 3, 2021

It's worthwhile to wait until you can feel the rubber in person. See if the texture of that rubber portion is something you would enjoy owning.

Personally, I'm a huge fan Omega's Liquid Metal, and want as much as of it as I can get on the bezel. The way it's inlay into the ceramic, is just so smooth to behold both visually and on your fingers. https://www.ablogtowatch.com/looking-at-liquid-metal-watches-with-omega/

I more or less "tolerate" the ceramic bezel on my Submariner with its indents filled with precious metal. But I lose myself staring in marvel at the majestic beauty of my Planet Ocean's ceramic + liquid metal fusion bezel. The way the 2 materials are so cohesively bonded, is just fantastic!

Regarding orange & black.... personally not a fan. Even if I was a Princeton alum, owned a Halloween store, or had other emotional connections to that particular colorway, I still wouldn't fancy seeing orange and black on my wrist.
    Black + red accents? Absolutely! matches the colors of my car.
    Blue + orange accents? Perfect harmony, and this is what I ultimately chose for my 43.5 PO. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe also approves.

If you're looking for a small and subtle splash of orange, there's also the limited edition 77-piece Nucleo Operativo Centrale di Sicurezza (NOCS) Planet Ocean. Recently released, and you can find brand-new ones with full plastics come up for sale every now and then.

On that NOCS Planet Ocean, you'll get the orange hue from the Sedna gold borders on the 7 o'clock hour marker, and a Sedna gold sweeping seconds hand. With Seamaster, and 600m / 2000ft text lines both in red.

7. dekevain Mar 4, 2021

I prefer my old 8500 with silver numerals. However, if given a good discount, I’d love to get the white dial-orange bezel PO. It looks so vibrant.

8. scott784 Mar 4, 2021

The orange on the PO between the 12 and 3 on the bezel really spoke to me at first. However, after giving it more thought, I decided it best to stick with black dial and bezel as it seems to be a more "safe" design that does not have the potential to grow on me (in a possible negative way) over time. Of course, I also think the PO blue dial and bezel looks great too!

As for white dials on the current Omega seamaster lineup, I like (best) what Omega did with the SMP 300 on white dial (with black bezel). That really pops in a good way on bracelet and especially that black rubber strap! Of course, that's a different seamaster model.

At any rate, I've just uploaded my new PO! My next wish list item will be the Speedy. But it's going to be a while before I could even think about buying another one.

PO wristshot.jpg
    AntonisCy, gpstar and TimeODanaos like this.
  9. OmegaFan503 Mar 4, 2021

Congrats and wear it in good health!

10. scott784 Mar 4, 2021

Thanks. Hopefully it doesn't look too big! My wrist size is 7.25 inches. This watch is the standard PO case size at 43.5

Edited Mar 4, 2021
  11. OmegaFan503 Mar 4, 2021

It looks great on you :thumbsup:

12. scott784 Mar 4, 2021

Reassurances are always good, especially with this kind of money....lol. The PO is my "big brother" to my seamaster 300p white dial with black bezel (that one on bracelet and rubber). No time soon, but one day a version of the Speedy would be nice to round things out. Got to love that "Snoopy" version of Speedy, but no money for that!

13. Parminio Apr 21, 2021

I was so awestruck when I saw the orange and white planet ocean in the boutique that I purchased it on the spot. It’s so clean and classy and unique. I love the fact that very few people will have the same watch. It’s definitely eye-catching and I am sure will be a topic of discussion. I would love to hear opinions on this color combination.

14. sah Apr 22, 2021

Not to hijack the thread (OP: a great choice for your watch, enjoy) but I did the same with my purchase. Went in for a Speedmaster and came out with the creamsicle.
    F4B04BDC-F6C2-40B7-93CC-2BFA1384A29E.jpeg

15. NGO1 Apr 22, 2021

Sedna Gold.
    It’s a dive watch. You need the extra 8oz to help dragged you down the abyss.
    You don’t want to be foolishly floating at 599m, do you??. No.

You simply won’t get to 600m unless you are wearing Sedna.

A7AEE671-08E7-462F-97E5-B56AE450A843.jpeg
    Barqy, ClaudeR and sah like this.
  16. Thunder Dump Apr 22, 2021

sah likes this.
  17. SlowhandBuzz Apr 26, 2021

I’ve been loving my orange and white. I worried it would be a bit too bold, then decided it is my watch and I don’t really care if it stands out too much for others.

E532C013-490C-4281-B7CE-62113AB9E6AB.jpeg D915D44B-A064-4E32-BEB5-B4B1C6865F6F.jpeg 59100BED-4265-4331-948B-AD63ED7500CE.jpeg

OmegaFan503 and sah like this.
  18. sah Apr 26, 2021

Very nice pics!!

How long have you had yours? I’m at 4 weeks and can’t wear anything else. I am very fortunate to not need to formally dress up yet.

19. SlowhandBuzz Apr 27, 2021

I've had it just over a week. I have other pieces that can be worn for dressier occasions, so I wasn't too worried about it. So far it has been a blast to wear and I love the pop of color.

sah likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 27, 2021

I love my Orange as well. Loud, but not obnoxious.
    4E9D8ED8-B4C9-4D6F-B79C-2886ECC0E517.jpeg

richiv, Charlemagne1333 and sah like this.