Forums Latest Members

Omega Planet Ocean vs Omega Aqua Terra

1. scott784 Feb 21, 2021

I own an Omega SMP 300m on white dial on bracelet and also a black rubber strap. Love it! I think I am now hooked on Omega and want to save money for a second watch. What really strikes me is the PO, black dial, with the orange accent on the bezel between the 12 and 3 o'clock....along with the black rubber strap with the orange accents on it which can be viewed on the Omega site. Very cool and sporty looking.
    But I also really like the AT 150m blue dial with the blue rubber strap. My wrist is 7.25 inches. I know it's a personal choice. But any opinions out there? (factoring in what I already own along with my wrist size)? My concern with the PO is that it might wear a bit too large; and of course, it costs a little more whereas the blue dial AT seems like it may be more versatile if I ever wanted to wear it under a shirt cuff.
    But, in my opinion, they are both very striking, especially on rubber. Of course, either way, I'd buy the PO or AT 150m on a metal bracelet and buy the rubber later. I am just stuck on the choice between these two models. Right now, I think the AT (blue dial) is not available (per the Omega site), but I could easily wait on back order assuming it won't be long before the AD could get it. Any thoughts about these two watches. My intention would be to primarily wear them on the rubber straps I described, though the metal bracelets look good too.

Borosilikat likes this.
  2. maskwp Feb 22, 2021

As you have already mentioned, it is a personal decision based on your lifestyle, style, preference, etc. I would go with the Aqua Terra but I am heavily biased ; ) For me, it is one of the most perfect modern watches. It wears nice and the option to switch between bracelet and the rubber strap makes it very versatile. I don't own a PO but whenever I have tried one I find them too big, at least for me. I do have a sweet spot for simple, "GADA" watches so again, Aqua Terra for me. Mine does everything from meeting room to the beach to the mountains and I love it. Good luck with your decision!

rfcs likes this.
  3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 22, 2021

I do not own either watch but like both and have tried them on and have friends who have them.
    They are entirely different in looks. The PO more casual and sporting and the AT is classy/dressy and good with a suit IMO so very much depends on how you intend to wear.
    Worth a thought, you do not mention the size of the PO you are considering. From memory I think the largest is 45.5mm and smallest is 39.5mm and this obviously makes a difference
    What always strikes me about the PO is its thickness. On smaller wrists it always seems massive to me. About 16.5mm thick it is a big chunk of steel and doesn't slide easily under cuffs.

Just a couple of thoughts to assist. Good luck

4. Borosilikat Feb 22, 2021

I think the aqua terra would be a better choice as you already have a diver and the aqua terra is more of a versatile everyday watch.

rfcs and Gav1967 like this.
  5. AntonisCy Feb 22, 2021

Speaking purely about the two watches, the Planet Ocean is a superior timepiece.

Barstoolman likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2021

Are you wearing for sport or for dress?

7. OmegaFan503 Feb 22, 2021

I have both the latest 39.5mm PO and 2nd gen 8500 38.5mm AT.

Here is a side to side comparison if it helps. I have a small 6.5" wrist so they fit me perfectly.

If I have to keep only one, I would go for the AT by just a slight margin.

IMG_20210222_144416.jpg
  8. scott784 Feb 22, 2021

Thanks for the replies here, really appreciate it. Given that I already own the SMP 300m, it seems the AT is the favored choice. Although as others have said (and of course I agree myself), they are both great watches. Perhaps the only way I will really know for sure is trying both of them on at an AD. However, I am kind of leaning toward the AT, more for versatility since I already have a diver.

maskwp and Gav1967 like this.
  9. MtnMarine Feb 22, 2021

I just sold a Skyfall AT here about a month ago. While I was initially in love with the watch, it turned out to be too dressy for my style. I went with the old version (Skyfall 42) which didn’t even have the PCLs but it was still too flashy for my personal taste. (I normally wear a polo and jeans for work).

I think both watches are great and I would have kept the AT if my collection would allow, but I’m looking for a PO now....all up to you.
    Good luck!

10. scott784 Feb 22, 2021

I love Omega Divers and if money had not been an issue, I probably would've bought the PO versus the SMP 300m. But I never looked at the PO closely b/c I was trying to stay within a certain budget. That said, I am very happy with my SMP 300m. I bought the white dial version with bracelet and rubber. This white dial version is really a beauty on the black rubber! But the bracelet is growing on me too; and it offers a great fit with the micro-adjust on the clasp. I also have a very casual lifestyle and was only thinking of AT more for the versatility of a second Omega watch. But who knows, when I get ready to pull the trigger, I might still consider the PO.

11. 8100_RPM Feb 22, 2021

I have a 43.5mm PO and a 41.5mm AT. Obviously, the PO is sportier and the AT is dressier but I have no problem wearing either with a suit or with casual clothes. If I had to pick one to keep, it would be the AT.

IMG_2913.JPG

Edited Feb 23, 2021
    o.m.e.g.a and maskwp like this.
  12. Alfista88 Feb 22, 2021

If you're choosing between the current-generation PO or AT's, I heartily recommend the Planet Ocean 43.5.

If going a couple generations back, I'd take the Aqua Terra, with the vertical teak and date-window borders, as OmegaFan503 showed. I'm not a big fan of the current generation's crown shape :(

The PO wears much smaller in person, than its dimensions on paper would suggest. On rubber, it's quite light and comfortable. Plus you can get a rubber strap with a leather surface, if you like some added versatility for smart-casual. The PO-specific, leather + rubber combo strap ID # is RUZ005702 for the blue, in case you end opting for a blue PO over the black & orange you mentioned.

I don't have any good shots my PO on that strap, as I've only worn it for a total of less than 5 minutes on the leather & rubber strap. While it's much more light-weight and comfortable on the strap, I still prefer the PO on bracelet. I'll never need to use it this way, but I've always envisioned this as the watch I'd love to be wearing, if I'm plane-crashed or ship wrecked onto a tropical desert island.... a la Robinson Crusoe or Lost. Something about the sturdiness of a steel dive watch, on a steel bracelet, just gives off that romantic sense of adventure :cool:

Looks pretty good in smart casual wear as well! Here's the CEO of Omega, with the blue PO on a blue leather/rubber combo strap while wearing a double-breasted blazer. Taken from a press video when he was introducing that Planet Ocean ultra deep.

IMG_1608.PNG

My 43.5 PO, on a 6.75 inch wrist:
    IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

IMG_1763.PNG

IMG_1602.JPG

ChrisRid and maskwp like this.
  13. Butik Feb 23, 2021

You definietly MUST put both watches on at some AD. Both are great but in my opinion PO is much more robust, while AT will suit more ocasions (can be used both as sport & dress watch).

Why try them on? The PO - it's big, chunky and heavy. If this is something you cannot live with, go with AT.

14. scott784 Feb 23, 2021

Thanks for the additional responses and sharing those pics. The PO is a fine looking watch. And it also doesn't look one bit out of place with the pic of the CEO wearing that model with a suit. These days, I rarely dress up (especially with a suit), but it's nice to see the PO working both ways. The PO model with the black dial and orange accent on the bezel looked very sporty (and really kind of struck me) when I first saw it online, especially when paired with its matching black and orange rubber strap. But when I see that blue dial and bezel on the PO, I could easily go for that as well. Whatever I get, it would be a current model at AD. And I guess - there's really no bad choices. Just a lot of money so I am not rushing it.

15. a4a Feb 23, 2021

I had both the 2201.50 and the AT Skyfall 41.5. I kept the AT. I think it’s a bit more versatile but also love the older style AT with vertical teak and framed date window. This version of the AT is pretty rare these days which also influenced my decision to keep it.

B568E268-CCA2-463F-BEE2-9C9898D14DBC.jpeg
    Borosilikat likes this.
  16. Borosilikat Feb 23, 2021

On what metric? Just water resistance ?

maskwp likes this.
  17. Borosilikat Feb 23, 2021

I think you made the right choice, the AT is much more daily wearable, I had the same PO as you and it was just too big and bulky.

maskwp and a4a like this.
  18. a4a Feb 23, 2021

Oddly (or maybe not) i went with a Seiko SPB143 for my diver. Love the 40mm size and it looks great on a bracelet or a variety of straps. The size and weight is perfect for me and had a vintage vibe. It’s my pool watch and my beater.

A41975FB-9649-45F7-B4EE-8ED02CC07AA8.jpeg
  19. AntonisCy Feb 24, 2021

Bracelet, case, finishing, overall quality. I have owned both models.

Barstoolman and Borosilikat like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2021

PO every time for me.

But after getting the PO you will sell the SMP and buy the AT. ;)