Forums Latest Members

Oyster Perpetual 39, worth it?

1. scapa Feb 1, 2020

Black dial isn't shiny exactly--if by that you mean uniformly glossy. It's a pretty subtle sunburst dial. I actually preferred it to the white overall on a second viewing, but it's less striking initially. OP36 is around 44mm lug to lug, maybe closer to 46 with endlinks. It has good presence at that size, while being very wearable.

Gui13250 likes this.
  2. Gui13250 Feb 1, 2020

Thanks for your feedbacks, as it is not so easy to find lug to lug distance!
    I’ll maybe give a try in 36, but as the DJ was a little bit to small to me, I guess the 39 should be perfect!
    Anyone have a picture of the black dial?

My birthday is in 2 months, and money would be better on my wrist than in a bank account for nothing, so I guess it could arrive this year!

3. pianomankd Feb 1, 2020

I had the white OP39 for about three weeks but then sold it. It just looked too dainty on my wrist. But everyone's wrist is different!!

fskywalker likes this.
  4. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Feb 1, 2020

size and fit look ideal in this pic

5. Alfista88 Feb 1, 2020

Try the blue OP 36! The dial isn't as busy, compared to the 36mm double baton patterned dials. The absence of the small, arabic numbers at the 5-minute markers makes the dial less cramped, incrementally enhancing the feel of "open space" that gives the dial the visual effect of appear just a little bit larger.

In comparison to the sloped bezel DJ, the OP 36 wears larger due to the absence of the cyclops on the crystal. In comparison to OP 39: I realize this is very subjective, but I personally find the Rolex crown on the OP 39 to be too small, compared to the length of the hour markers.

Look at the scale of the 12 o'clock Rolex crown on the 36 mm dial compared to the length of the hour marker. Then, look at the scale of the Rolex crown on the OP 39 dial, compared to the length of the markers on that dial. I realize this is subjective, but you may discover you'll have 1 preference for 1 over another, on this little detail. To me, the 12'o clock crown on the 39mm dial feels out of proportion, like the infamous 'short hands' from the 1st couple of years of 39mm Explorer production.

Here's a picture of mine, compared to a modern Moonwatch and a 116613lb. Followed by a wristshot on my 6.5 in wrist. Between 3 sunburst blue dial watches I own (Globemaster not pictured), the shade of blue on the Rolex OP is by far the most beautiful, in my opinion.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_8490.jpg

mick_rad, KeithS and Gui13250 like this.
  6. Gui13250 Feb 1, 2020

I don’t know... even if i’m use to wear my Connie 34mm, on a modern watch it looks différents, I think I’ll prefer the 39mm, but I need to give a try to be sure.
    But I’m now quite sure about the model, an OP!

7. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Feb 1, 2020

pics are so optical. many of the ones that look like they're sized great are smallish on the wrist in person. it's weird.

pianomankd likes this.
  8. Gui13250 Feb 2, 2020

True enough, it usually seems bigger on the wrist on picture than in reality!

9. Gui13250 Feb 7, 2020

Little update!
    I tried an oyster 39 grey dial, the size is perfect to me!
    The AD will receive a white dial next week and will call me, now I have two option...:
    Either should a buy it brand new at 5350€, or should I find it second hand to about 4800€... what are you thought on it?

I must say that it should have been for the end of the year 2020 gift, but now that I have the opportunity, I’m saying to myself let’s go, if you don’t wear it enough it won’t be too hard then to sell it in some years.

thanks to all!

10. Alfista88 Feb 7, 2020

If it's not intended as a keeper, and this will be just "+1" to your collection for occasional wear, then I'd personally buy pre-owned. However, you may have to wait a while to find a white-dial OP 39 in the price range you're looking for, in a condition you'll be satisfied with.

This config of the OP 39 model, is already hard to find in some European metropolitan AD's even when new due to the stainless steel climate. In corollary, there aren't as many pre-owned ones available, compared to blue/grey/grape dial OP 39's which have been in production since 2016, and are less sought-after.

If this won't be a keeper or a daily wearer, and there's a strong possibility you'll trade it in a year or so, might I recommend you look into a 39mm Explorer instead? You can find pre-owned ones for the price of a new OP 39, and it'll have better resale.

lindo and Gui13250 like this.
  11. Gui13250 Feb 7, 2020

Thanks @Alfista88 for the answer.

well, it will probably a keeper, I’m looking for an easy going watch as I have a Black bay and a 168.005, but if I need some money in 1 or 2 year, I could maybe sell it.

important thing, I’m not willing to earn any money with it, I just love it, and even if it is an big amount of money to me, I think it is not throwing money away as I guess it will always be possible to sell it a take back 4k€ if unfortunately needed (this one was helpful to convince my wife :)

I understand you point with the Explorer, but it is the white dial which I really like and would be perfect to complete the “collection”.

Alfista88 likes this.
  12. Gui13250 Feb 14, 2020

Guys,
    Last update on this topic, it went way faster than I thought...! At the beginning, I was only thinking of which watch could be the next one, by the end of the year or even further... but I tried it, once, then twice, then some tough days bring me to « you worked hard for the last few years, today you can afford it but you don’t know what will happen then » and here it is :)
    I love it! So versatile!

E0040987-904F-4CD6-BA14-C256644AD567.jpeg
    DJG2645, Readiness77, NVWC and 10 others like this.
  13. Tempus Feb 15, 2020

::love::::love::::love:: 17+ collection but my OP39 monopolises my wrist. It is so crisp, simple and elegant. OP2.jpg

14. sah Feb 15, 2020

I totally agree. I do not feel bad about ignoring my other 50 watches!

15. mk2rick Feb 15, 2020

Looks perfect ! I saw one of these in the Melbourne AD yesterday and was seriously tempted. I like the jubilee bracelet more TBH !

Gui13250 likes this.
  16. KeithS Feb 15, 2020

Congrats... looks fantastic on you! I’m really torn between the white dialed versions of the OP39, Globemaster, and SBGA415 for my next watch.

Gui13250 likes this.
  17. Gui13250 Feb 16, 2020

I was also thinking of a globemaster, but I don’t like the steel bracelet of the globemaster. You can find some second hand globemaster at a fair price... it may be a good option if you like it.

I think the OP39 is also way more versatile, it goes with everything, and it was what I was looking for for this one :)

18. Tempus Feb 16, 2020

Workware or dressware....very versatile!

IMG_3348.JPG

Readiness77 and Gui13250 like this.
  19. Alfista88 Feb 16, 2020

Congrats on your new watch! Like Tempus said, its versatility is commendable and your new watch will serve you well anywhere you choose to take it. It's an immense pleasure in life to reward yourself for all the hard work you've put in these last few years, and I'm very happy you got the exact watch your heart wanted, to celebrate your successes!

I feel the same way you do about the OP bracelet versus Globemaster bracelet. While the GM bracelet allows for more micro-adjustment due to it shorter links, I've never warmed up to the center link "crevice" that forms between the end-link with the rest of the bracelet, when it is worn on smaller wrists such as mine.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/globemaster-ss-bracelet-question.89023/

The Oyster bracelet design mitigates this by having that center link "droop" downwards from the watch head around the curve of one's wrist. In comparison, the Globemaster bracelet's design requires the 2 outer links curve down in forming that wrist taper <- this results in that dark cavity appearing between the initial 2 center links on each side of the bracelet, when the GM is worn on smaller wrists : (

Gui13250 likes this.
  20. Gui13250 Feb 19, 2020

Guys,

this watch is a perfect everyday watch as you’ve said :)

Question about accuracy: I’ve red that the 3132 is COSC and given by Rolex for -2 / +2 per day, am I right?
    Does that means that it is supposed to run within this?
    Mine is running +2s per day, is it a « classic » variation for such a mouvement?