Forums Latest Members

Globemaster SS bracelet question

1. Katana Jan 30, 2019

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, good to be here. I recently was very fortunate to become the owner of a Globemaster in SS with the silver dial and dark grey leather strap. I absolutely love this watch, and it will serve as my everyday watch.

Even though the leather strap option is my favorite, I just realized that it’s not going to cut it in the summer heat and humidity. I will pick up some natos, but also considering the SS bracelet. I read on here somewhere hinting that the bracelet is a lot more expensive than the leather, but I haven’t been able to find the actual cost of the SS bracelet anywhere. I tried emailing my local Omega boutique, but they haven’t responded. I would really appreciate it if anyone here could let me know the price of it?

I made a mistake of not buying the SS bracelet with the watch and then adding the leather, but can’t change that now.

Cheers.

EF08B4D5-1D7A-4F86-9AE1-3543517021A0.jpeg
    EatMan, Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  2. Woodlands Jan 30, 2019

I had a great experience dealing directly with the Swatch Group office in my country (Canada) when I had questions on straps. And I could order direct from them rather than going through the OMEGA dealer (there is no OB where I live).

Not sure where you live but see if Swatch Group has a regional office in your country.

Katana likes this.
  3. Woodlands Jan 30, 2019

And lovely watch, by the way. No shame in buying it on the strap if you liked that best. I did the same with my 2018 Diver 300M. I got it on the rubber. I like the bracelet on others but not on me for some reason.

Katana likes this.
  4. Katana Jan 30, 2019

Thank you, Woodlands, for the information, and compliment on the watch, and reassurance. I’m in the U.S. so I’ll look into the equivalent Swatch group office here.

Looking at the photo, seems like my phone camera has a fish lense effect on the watch. It actually wears smaller than the photo shows, lugs within the wrist.

5. Alfista88 Feb 1, 2019

Katana, great choice on your Globemaster selection! That's a winning combo with the white dial, brushed case, and charcoal strap. I've always thought the white dial makes the pie pan design really pop in the right lighting conditions.

Re: bracelet procurement, have you tried call your local Omega Boutique? Depending on where you live, the local one may have high staff turnover and perhaps the email queues don't get monitored. I can't imagine a sales associate not picking up the phone and missing out on a sale though ;) I have both the bracelet and the blue leather strap, and wear it almost exclusively on bracelet now.

May I ask what your wrist size is? If under 6.5 inches, I suggest you try it on first and see whether the 'middle link cavity' bothers you. Unlike the bracelet on the Seamaster, Speedy, etc, the Globemaster bracelet is constructed with an downward curved taper in the 3-4 links closest to the watch case. Check out my last picture. This results in an omnipresent gap in the 1st middle link on both sides of the case, if you have a smaller wrist. My description here probably doesn't do it much justice. The Fratello Watch review of the GM from August 2016 better illustrates this.

Here are some pictures of mine on a bracelet. You can see a little of the middle-link cavity I'm talking about in the first pic.

IMG_6855.JPG IMG_6859.JPG IMG_6860.JPG IMG_6867.JPG

Katana and Riviera Paradise like this.
  6. Katana Feb 1, 2019

Alfista88,

Thank you for the response. I do love the white, steel and grey leather combo. I find the grey strap makes a nice contrast to the case and dial, though I am starting to really like the smooth transition between the case and the bracelet, which I didn’t expect to at the beginning... something nice and subtle about that.

Beautiful SS blue dial you have there. Such a striking combination. The blue sunburst is really mesmerizing. Really hard for me to choose between them, but I feel you can’t go wrong either way in my mind.

Thanks for pointing out the taper on the bracelet. I appreciate your photos and they do illustrate your point. I have 6.2” wrists, so pretty small, and the strap has a slight taper too, but a little less so than the bracelet it seems. I’ll check out the Fratello review, but I think you’re right that I’ll need to try it on to really see.

Cheers

Edited Mar 7, 2019
  7. Katana Mar 21, 2019

I have a question for anyone who has a Globemaster, or in the know. I just purchased the bracelet, however I’m having the hardest time putting it onto the watch. I’m using the spring bars that I got from the leather strap it came on, but it seems when I try to put the bracelet on, I can’t get either end of the spring bar into the hole, and with both ends of the bars compressed fully it’s still too long to fit between the lugs. Not sure if I’m explaining this well.

Is there some kind of trick I’m missing? Are the spring bars that came with the leather strap longer than I need? Do I just need to keep working it?

I appreciate any advice.

8. Alfista88 Mar 21, 2019

Katana - others can confirm, but I suspect the spring bars for the bracelet is indeed shorter than the spring bar designed for the strap. This is definitely the case for the Speedmaster Pro, leading me to believe it could be the same for the GM as well. Apologies I'm on a work trip this week, and can't check my GM to provide a confirmation at this moment.

However, I can provide the painful anecdote of realizing I had the wrong spring bars on the bracelet when swapping out straps for a bracelet on my Speedmaster. It's scarred not just in my memory, but also into the lugs of my poor Speedy's case in the form of deep scratches when I foolishly tried compress the spring bar more than it can handle. One slight mishandle, and it discharged all that forced energy by ripping through the polished steel lug surface.

My recommendation is to cease working on it individually. Have the local Omega OB or AD try it out, and see what conclusion they draw. If needed, new spring bars should only be a few dollars, and you'll have the benefit of keeping your existing pair as a dedicated set for just the leather straps.

Katana likes this.
  9. Katana Mar 21, 2019

Thanks a lot for your advice, and taking the time during work. I’ll go to the OB the next opportunity I get. No deep scraps, but I do see a little of the brushed finish on the back of the lugs showing a little too much polish which is annoying, ugh. I’m glad I saw your post before continuing to try. I’m usually decent at finicky stuff like this so it didn’t add up why the bars weren’t going in. I imagine you’re right, that they’re too long.

jackjacob, Skv and Omegafanman like this.