Originality vs. sympathetic restoration: What would you do?

Over the past bunch of years, the premium on “unmolested, original, unpolished, untouched” has dramatically increased. Years ago, watchmakers would routinely polish cases, for instance (some with a heavier had than others), and the practice was not really frowned upon.

So this watch falls into that category: this picture isn’t great, and the watch is in fairly original shape, but the case has been refinished, including a very high polish to the lugs tops. One thing I won’t do it to try and faux distress them - that would be a disaster.

CA47312A-0345-4113-A857-0FFD0C792532.jpeg

So, I’ve been looking to fit a nice 7912 flat-link and I have this one. As you can see, completely unpolished, unmolested, blah, blah.

81621517-C014-45AC-B1B4-6B86BC31C5A5.jpeg

The problem is, when combined, the aesthetics won’t match. So herein lies the dilemma: would you join them as is, and leave it like that…or sympathetically polish the bracelet to make it go better with the case, knowingly devaluing its esteem and value? How about this on the left - does this look overdone in terms of restoration?

05007776-DABC-4016-907B-D2411E338DE1.jpeg

When do we get to the point where original clashes with visually pleasing?

Honestly, it's your watch, so I'd say you should do whatever will make you happiest wearing it. I think we all have different aesthetic preferences when it comes to things like this.

I would just wear it and enjoy it.
Watches are much more enjoyable to wear when they have already been worn and enjoyed.

Shiny watch, shiny bracelet, save the unpolished bracelet for an unpolished watch, just my opinion

As per previous point, you should wear your watches as you'd like them to be
There are very nice refinished dial, or cleaned ones etc... And some case polishing may give back de youth and attraction to some watches.

I believe the argument is mainly on pricing, and information giving when buying and selling the watch.

As long as everything is transparent, then it is just a question of choice

I’m not judging…

upload_2021-11-8_18-45-48.jpeg

…whatever blows your hair back as the saying goes …

But, if you have a freshly polished watch, get a Forstner bands to match 👍 Nothing looks worse than a badly refinished bracelet…

Nice leather strap for the speedy. Sell the bracelet.

Watches are much more enjoyable to wear when they have already been worn and enjoyed.
Not for me. I'll put up with some things because you can't do anything about it, but I refinish when necessary.

I would consider saving or selling the bracelet and installing an Uncle Seiko Flatlink. The polished one seems like it would complement that case nicely. It obviously is not original, but for less than $100 you can match the case and mimic the spirit of the flatlink without doing anything rash
holaIconWhite.svg

I would consider saving or selling the bracelet and installing an Uncle Seiko Flatlink. The polished one seems like it would complement that case nicely. It obviously is not original, but for less than $100 you can match the case and mimic the spirit of the flatlink without doing anything rash
holaIconWhite.svg
Completely agree. I have a few Speedies with Uncle Seikos flat link bracelet, Ed White among them and they look spot on. Good quality as well.

Not for me. I'll put up with some things because you can't do anything about it, but I refinish when necessary.

It’s an interesting phenomenon with watches, cars, etc. But if you bought a historic home, wouldn’t most clean up the muck from the previous owner? And aren’t million dollar paintings and expensive furniture restored all the time?

It’s an interesting phenomenon with watches, cars, etc. But if you bought a historic home, wouldn’t most clean up the muck from the previous owner? And aren’t million dollar paintings and expensive furniture restored all the time?
Most would totally destroy that historic home with "improvements" or just knock it down to build some modern crap.

But yes, paintings are cleaned and restored as necessary. Expensive furniture is sometimes cleaned but the wrong touch makes it worthless.

I would refinish the bracelet to match the watch. I have had the issue you speak of, refinished the bracelet and was very happy with the result.

I buy my watches for my own pleasure and to wear. I’m not bothered about enhancing their value and, given the prices I pay and inflation, doubt I’m going to lose very much.

In recent years I’ve changed/cleaned hands, crystals and had gunky stuff cleaned off. I’m happier with their appearance.

I would refinish the bracelet to match the watch. I have had the issue you speak of, refinished the bracelet and was very happy with the result.
+1

And aren’t million dollar paintings and expensive furniture restored all the time?

The original finish on antique furniture is hugely valuable.

The original finish on antique furniture is hugely valuable.
Did you see that Antiques Roadshow where the people thought they were removing glop and dirt and made their $150,000 chest of drawers worth $20,000?

If you don't know what it is, people, leave it alone!

Did you see that Antiques Roadshow where the people thought they were removing glop and dirt and made their $150,000 chest of drawers worth $20,000?

If you don't know what it is, people, leave it alone!
But in my case I’m enhancing a $500-600 watch. I really wouldn’t want a valuable watch like some of those I see posted/advertised. If I can’t afford to lose it I don’t want it.

And so far as anything worth $20k much less $150k - it’s off to the auctions