Forums Latest Members
  1. getapilot Aug 10, 2022

I went fishing for a Speedmaster pro and found one at a coin store. It’s probably from the mid to late 90’s. Overall the watch looks good. It appears to have been a daily wearer. Some minor dings and scratches and a buildup of gunk between the bezel and the hesalite. It appears to have never been polished. My only concern is that there was some minor corrosion on the lower crown guard. I’m looking for something to wear daily and think this could be it. The price was at $3,400 with box, hangtag, but no papers. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is the corrosion. I understand I can have it treated/repaired if I like. What do you guys with some experience buying these second hand from a non-watch dealer think?

2. Davidt Aug 10, 2022

Without a picture there’s not much anyone can say.
    Corrosion on a steel watch case, isn’t that common, especially one from the 90’s and as these aren’t rare watches it would be a red flag for me. That said, dirt and grime can look like corrosion so it may not be an issue.

MtV, noelekal and wagudc like this.
  3. Dedalus05 Aug 10, 2022

Take close up shots of the "corrosion" under magnification with your phone. As well as the dings and scratches. Then post pics.

I nearly passed on the bargain of a lifetime that I thought could be corrosion on a watch. After a quick consultation here I realized I might be looking at wrist gunk. A quick test with a fingernail proved it so.

Either way, posting pics here before you pull the trigger is the single most sensible thing you can do before buying a used Speedmaster.

4. Donn Chambers Aug 10, 2022

Could be corrosion. Could be wrist gunk. If it was a daily wearer and never serviced, water could have leaked in a worn gasket in the crown. Any way you can get the shop to open the back to see if there is any corrosion in the movement, especially around the crown tube?

if you do buy, plan to have it fully serviced immediately and make sure they replace the crown and pushers, just to be safe.

5. Donn Chambers Aug 10, 2022

i also want to add that you can probably find a newer one in better shape for about $1-1.5k more than what that shop is asking from a reputable dealer. Just took a look at my favorite online watch seller, and they currently have 4 within that price range available (although 1 is on a strap). You have to decide if it is worth the risk to buy one a little cheaper than be faced with unexpected damage, or if you’d rather spend more and get one in a lot better condition.

6. BarbVl Aug 10, 2022

Without the pictures will be very difficult to receive the correct advice because a picture make a thousand words but in my opinion the price it's little higher and i think you can find better on eBay auctions..Regards.

7. Dan S Aug 10, 2022

I guess it's probably obvious by now that we can't say anything without photos, so you should probably use your own judgement. The box and hang-tag at virtually no value, and are probably not even related to the watch. People buy these things on eBay because they think it's fun to assemble packages.

8. getapilot Aug 10, 2022

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had a photo. You’re all right. It’s a red flag and I should just pay a little more for one in better condition. I love finding a bargain though . . .

9. paddymoran Aug 10, 2022

Don’t rule it out - get the pictures and share them!

wagudc likes this.
  10. getapilot Aug 10, 2022

https://www.bobswatches.com/omega/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-stainless-steel-black.html

While it’s not the pictures of the actual watch, I found something almost identical. The pitting to the stainless steel looks very similar to the pitting on this watch. If you zoom in to the lower crown guard on the second picture you can see it.

The watch that I was considering wound normally and all functions worked as they should. Again, I think I could pick up the watch for $3200-$3400. Obviously, part of the consideration is having to service the watch upon purchase, which would put the watch just under 4K. Thoughts?

11. Dan S Aug 10, 2022

Maybe you can try to insert a photo of what you are referring to. You do the zooming and save a screen grab or whatever.

Davidt likes this.
  12. getapilot Aug 11, 2022

Filler…

D793B763-EE2A-44DE-8C9A-D0B802C70A87.jpeg
  13. Davidt Aug 11, 2022

Are you pointing to the crown guards? That’s just grime.

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 11, 2022

Mid to late 90s would be tritium. So is want to be sure hands and dial are both tritium. It would not be a deal if dial was tritium, but hands were luminova.

15. paddymoran Aug 11, 2022

Agreed, pretty standard for chronographs with some age to have this grime behind the pushers.

16. savka Aug 11, 2022

17. getapilot Aug 11, 2022

Thank you guys for all the replies. After walking around town and getting some quotes servicing the watch. I decided to pull the trigger on another example. Super happy with the new watch and I hope my sone, one day, enjoys it as much as I do.

18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 11, 2022

Good for you!

We'd like to take a peek at the one you acquired.

paddymoran likes this.
  19. getapilot Aug 12, 2022

50122838-898F-419F-8450-EB2F0AEC0195.jpeg

It’s not vintage, but it’s mine. Maybe the next one.

wagudc and noelekal like this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 12, 2022

Thanks much for posting the photo getapilot!

It's lookin' good from this perspective.

wagudc likes this.