Forums Latest Members
  1. Awetaylor Apr 26, 2020

I am seriously considering buying this Omega Constellation (1953 apparently) that is on auction. I have asked on your input before I buy as I think I am wearing "rose tinted glasses" which is impairing my ability to find the potential issues with the watch. It seems too good to be true.

This is my first thread so I hope I have followed the rules and do not offend the Omega Vintage Gods! :D

The description on the auction says this is a bumper movement (Omega 354), I have checked online and the movement matches other 354's that I have seen. The seller goes to describe the dial as "factory original cross hair very rare white dial" suggesting to me that it is an original dial and not a re-dial. The description says "The case and case back are solid 14kt yellow gold with 14kt gold lugs over stainless steel", This is an odd description for me, is it solid gold or not?

My research so far took me to Omega website where I think I found the exact watch dated to 1954 (https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-constellation-omega-ot-2782). The watches next to each other look like mirror images and the model number and movement match.

Here are my main concerns though that I would like your opinion on:
    - Swiss made are either side of the hour hand marker rather than under the hour hand marker in the Omega photo
    - The Omega site says "18K solid gold", and this is not solid gold, it is acier inoxydable

I appreciate any help you can give, this would be my first omega. Thank you for time Omega Vintage Gods.
    Photos are not mine so are not great quality.
    Image 1.jpg Image 2.jpg Image 3.jpg InkedImage 4_LI.jpg

2. Aquariusmatic Apr 26, 2020

It doesn't pass the MOY test :) and the exception to the MOY for this kind of dial has a different T in Constellation than the mentioned one in a guide I've downloaded years ago...

I've yet to buy a Connie of this or similar reference thanks to all the guides I might have wrongly interpreted.

3. Passover Apr 26, 2020

Some thougths:

MOY test is OK, dial looks legit

case shows some polishing [EDIT: lugs show some polishing to be exact]

"Swiss" and "Made" is OK
    Here is another 2782 to compare
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-2782.17451/

Watch is obviously gold capped and not solid gold

Serial number is in range

upload_2020-4-26_12-16-20.png

Edited Apr 26, 2020
    Awetaylor likes this.
  4. Noddyman Apr 26, 2020

At what price? It’s a reserve auction and seller could be in ‘cloud cuckoo land’.

connieseamaster and Passover like this.
  5. Edward53 Apr 26, 2020

@Passover has already made all the relevant points. I don't know where the auction is (I don't need to) but if it's on ebay it's unlikely to be cheap at the end.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 26, 2020

Pictures are horrible. Can’t say anything about it.
    gatorcpa

Awetaylor, apsm100 and Caliber561 like this.
  7. Awetaylor Apr 27, 2020

Thank you for all your help :). I am going to take a gamble and put some money down on it. I learned a new thing when you talked about the MOY test. Before I was literally staring at every detail and comparing it to the Connie I saw in the Omega online catalogue.
    If I win, I'll take some better photos and add them to this thread.

8. Awetaylor May 2, 2020

I won this bid in the end :) , just received it today.

This is my first Vintage Omega. At first glance, I am amazed at the detail on the dial. I have to admit, Unless you have a professional camera, it must be very difficult to take better photos.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.53.05.jpeg
  9. Awetaylor May 2, 2020

I will ask my Photographer sister to help me out with photos in the future

10. Passover May 2, 2020

Congrats to your first vintage Omega!

Dial looks original and in quite good condition.

are those darker spots on the dial?

upload_2020-5-2_15-29-34.png

11. Awetaylor May 2, 2020

Yes those are indeed darker sports or marks on the dial. There is also one in between the 10 an 11 mark, and next to the 2 mark.

Thanks Christoph with your help on this.

Are the marks something to be concerned about? For me it reassured me that it was not a repainted dial.

12. Passover May 2, 2020

I'm not concerned about the marks, just curious ;)

IMO this better picture confirms that the dial is in its original condition

felsby and Awetaylor like this.
  13. Awetaylor May 2, 2020

Phew! :confused:
    I am admiring the dial in person. Absolutely gorgeous, and it's given me a new appreciation for all of the other members Omega's.

The reserve price was at £900 ($1125), in case you were interested

14. thelinendial May 2, 2020

Congrats on your first Vintage! Mine was also a Constellation.

Agree seeing in person is very different. I still enjoy my vintage watches a bit more over my modern ones.

Look forward to seeing more pictures if you end up having time to post.

Awetaylor likes this.
  15. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile May 3, 2020

Beautiful watch in very good condition. You made a terrific start in the wonderful world of watch collecting.

Awetaylor likes this.