Opinions on Pre-Bond Seamaster 396.1052?

Hi all, I'm back today with another potential Omega I would like to pick up. While browsing reddit I found what I think is a good deal on an Omega Seamaster pre-bond. This is in comparison to some that I have seen sell on Ebay. I can purchase for roughly £420. I whiffed on the condition of an Omega Geneve that I sent in yesterday and so would like some opinions on whether this would be more up to scratch. Is the condition up to par for the price? Or should I keep looking? Evidently since these watches are roughly 30 years old, I understand I can expect some wear if they are unpolished but I'm not sure if these marks are too extensive. Since I don't have in hand I am also slightly wary of the crown. Thanks for reading, and I appreciate your replies as always.
Edited:

Looks like a small watch. Does it have the size in the listing? The reason I think it is a smaller watch is the price. 450 pounds is a lot under what you expect to pay for one of these. The quartz models typically fetch 600 plus and the automatic models around 1k. If it is full size, then 450 quid makes it a good buy for a daily wearer.

Looks like a small watch. Does it have the size in the listing? The reason I think it is a smaller watch is the price. 450 pounds is a lot under what you expect to pay for one of these. The quartz models typically fetch 600 plus and the automatic models around 1k. If it is full size, then 450 quid makes it a good buy for a daily wearer.

I believe you are correct, this is a smaller sized quartz. The automatics have the word “automatic” on the dial (pic below). I would advise the OP to look for an automatic instead, but just my opinion.
Someone might be able to verify the size better, as I’m not familiar with the quartz models as well.

94829DA6-658D-4120-945B-3448591B6D71.jpeg

I believe you are correct, this is a smaller sized quartz. The automatics have the word “automatic” on the dial (pic below). I would advise the OP to look for an automatic instead, but just my opinion.
Someone might be able to verify the size better, as I’m not familiar with the quartz models as well.

Thank you for both of your replies. I can confirm that this is the mid-size 396.1052 at 36mm in a Quartz. I believe the automatic comes in a 40mm and that was a bit larger than I was after at this particular time. Will definitely look into getting an automatic down the line as if I can purchase this quartz first for this price I can then later sell for a bit more and upgrade to the auto.

This is in great condition by the way and wears extremely well. I hope you enjoy wearing it and you have certainly convinced me that the auto is the next step!

The auto and quartz both come in 36mm and 40mm versions but what can throw people is the date window of each is in a different place so a 36mm quartz dial can look very like a 40mm Auto, the date window is closer to the middle on the quartz. That is on the cheap side for one of those, it could do with new hands maybe but I've seen worse. These are often beaten up, finding a mint one is very tough and parts are scarce and expensive.

original.png

The quartz model, if equipped with the 1441 movement was a high accuracy quartz (HAQ) and when in good shape is rare and desirable ..
You should check the movement reference ..

Tha HAQ movement was only seen early on and it seens to be paired with the Mercedes hands models with the plain 2 part casebacks only. It’s a nice quirk but I wouldn’t consider it all that rare or desirable personally. I’d go for the best looking watch over the best movement. Look for a case ref of 396.1042 if you desire that movement at it will be in that case or the similar full size ref. There were 3 case numbers used that iterate as xxx.xx4,5 or 6 followed by a 1 for full size or 2 for mid.

Thank you all so much for your replies! I have a great grasp of the model now thank you

Tha HAQ movement was only seen early on and it seens to be paired with the Mercedes hands models with the plain 2 part casebacks only. It’s a nice quirk but I wouldn’t consider it all that rare or desirable personally. I’d go for the best looking watch over the best movement. Look for a case ref of 396.1042 if you desire that movement at it will be in that case or the similar full size ref. There were 3 case numbers used that iterate as xxx.xx4,5 or 6 followed by a 1 for full size or 2 for mid.
I have been following sales of some of these pre-Bond seamaster, quartz .. and the model equipped with the 1441 movement is not common .. I can tell you ! Plenty (in Japan) listings with the 1438 movement, much less with the 1441 ..