Omega vintage clock

Respectable Members
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

I do not know, whether or not such an Omega timepiece will be of interest, amongst forum members here. Whatever, I would just like to share it with you and also, possibly get some information about it.

I picked this, approximately 40 years ago. Nothing has been done to it, not even a service. It has not been in use, all along.

Till today, I know nothing about the technical aspects of any watch or clock. Some while ago, there were no forums or literature to consult, before picking up something of interest. I would just grab anything that was appealing or that made my heart miss a beat or two.

During the good old days, picking up a used or second-hand item was a social-stigma. I could not care less. However today, there is a dramatic change in opinion and outlook.

After taking the pictures, I gave the winding-crown a few turns and, though not unexpected, this old man is still alive.

Thank-you.

So you've had that sitting around for 40 years? That's certainly different.

I've never seen Omega use typography like that. It's very strange and interesting.

I've never seen Omega use typography like that. It's very strange and interesting.
I actually have, Brisbane Vintage Watches have several large scale posters up in their service department that are Omega dealer advertisements from the 30s through to 60s and that font and styling appears quite frequently, in fact that EXACT appearance of the word Omega only in yellow is on most of them. That's the only other time I've seen it though, they look art-deco style so I'm guessing older rather than newer.

Here's one of them, there are about 4-5 with this type up there.

omega-poster.jpg

This one isn't quite as close but you get the idea

vintage poster.jpg

Actually, I'm not even certain that second one is the Omega Watch company, could be something else, the first one though was a poster from 1910, which fits with the art-deco styling of the other posters with that font type. If the clock is that old its aged rather well as has the entire unit.

So you've had that sitting around for 40 years? That's certainly different.

Respectable Member dsio

Thanks for your response.

Despite no exercise for 40 years, it is still alive.

Thank-you.

Respectable Member Trev

Thanks for your response.

Indeed, the font is different from what we usually see. The signature on its dial is also different.

Thank-you.

This one isn't quite as close but you get the idea

vintage poster.jpg

Respectable Member dsio

Thanks for the illustration and I just love the leather tool-box, placed underneath the bicycle seat.

Thank-you.
Actually, I'm not even certain that second one is the Omega Watch company, could be something else, the first one though was a poster from 1910, which fits with the art-deco styling of the other posters with that font type. If the clock is that old its aged rather well as has the entire unit.

Respectable Member dsio

Thank-you.

Some while ago, I was not worried about franken or fake but today, it is a little worrying. Tomorrow, I am going to bring the clock to my watchmaker and ask him to open the back-cover, so that we can inspect its movement. Once that's done, I shall post some pictures of the movement and also, the inside of the back-cover.

From the movement, I believe our forum members here will be able to determine the approximate age of the clock.

Though the clock is running, let us hope we see an Omega movement and not something else.

Thank-you.

Sorry I was talking about the second picture not being omega, I honestly have no doubts about that clock you have.

Sorry I was talking about the second picture not being omega, I honestly have no doubts about that clock you have.

Respectable Member dsio

Thank-you and please do not worry.

I know, you were talking about the second picture that may not be of an Omega watch poster based on the fact, the Omega signature font is different from that of the Omega signature font, found in the first picture.

I want to bring the clock to my watchmaker because during the good old days, each time I picked up an item, I was not worried, it might be a franken or a fake. I always assumed all the items to be genuine. This does not mean there was no monkey-business, then.

Like you, I think the clock is genuine but who knows. Furthermore, if we do not open its back-cover, we will not be able to get its movement serial number. Without this important number, forum members will not be able to determine, its approximate year of production.

Thank-you.

Don't wind it any more! The mainspring in those watches is strong enough to push the train regardless of how dirty it's become which will cause damage. If you plan to use it have it serviced so it's clean and lubricated.

Don't wind it any more! The mainspring in those watches is strong enough to push the train regardless of how dirty it's become which will cause damage. If you plan to use it have it serviced so it's clean and lubricated.

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Thanks for your advice.

No, I do not intend to use it. Since buying, I have never used it. Just out of curiosity, I gave the winding-crown ten turns and the moment the seconds hand started to move, I stopped. At least I know, there is a movement, whether it is Omega or not, I will only know tomorrow. Most likely, it is. The oil must be dry, after all these years of storage, I am sure.

On my desk, I have an original German Wehrle clock Three-in-One (not that old). I like it because it makes a lot of noise, tick-tick-tick, all the time, whereas that Omega clock, even though the seconds-hand and subsequently the minute-hand were moving just now, I could not hear any sound, at all. The alarm on the Wehrle clock can wake up, a dead man.

It is difficult to service any time-piece in Sydney, since the good watchmakers are always very busy. By the time, the watch is serviced and ready for collection, it will be ages.

Recently I sent in my Omega watch for service at the recently opened Omega Boutique Sydney and they promised, the watch will be ready in 4 weeks' time. This is not too bad after all and I know, they will do a good job.

Thank-you.

The font on the dial looks to be from the 1920's or 1930's. It was common in those days to have specially adjusted chronometers on ships or aircraft. Your watch looks to be one of these. However, the mirrored plaque inside the box makes me think that particular piece may have been used as a working advertisement for the Omega brand, possibly in a jewelry store window.

Before you send it off to Omega for a full restoration, a couple things that you might want to do. First, it might be worthwhile to have a watchmaker remove the back cover so you can take pictures of the movement and inside cover (please post them here). This way, we can try to help identify the piece while it is away being serviced. Secondly, you should inform Omega in writing that you do not want the dial restored under any circumstances. In my opinion, a lot of the value in your watch is in its originality. Refinishing the dial would severely damage this originality.

Omega has a bad habit of wanting to make a vintage watch look brand new, which of course, is impossible. They do a great job with movements, cases and bracelets. Not such a good job with dials. Please be careful with this special chronometer.

Congratulations on a very rare find,
gatorcpa

The font on the dial looks to be from the 1920's or 1930's. It was common in those days to have specially adjusted chronometers on ships or aircraft. Your watch looks to be one of these. However, the mirrored plaque inside the box makes me think that particular piece may have been used as a working advertisement for the Omega brand, possibly in a jewelry store window.

Before you send it off to Omega for a full restoration, a couple things that you might want to do. First, it might be worthwhile to have a watchmaker remove the back cover so you can take pictures of the movement and inside cover (please post them here). This way, we can try to help identify the piece while it is away being serviced. Secondly, you should inform Omega in writing that you do not want the dial restored under any circumstances. In my opinion, a lot of the value in your watch is in its originality. Refinishing the dial would severely damage this originality.

Omega has a bad habit of wanting to make a vintage watch look brand new, which of course, is impossible. They do a great job with movements, cases and bracelets. Not such a good job with dials. Please be careful with this special chronometer.

gatorcpa

I was thinking along the lines of marine chronometer too, but in practical use marine chronometers of this type are almost always suspended within a set of gimbals to isolate the chronometer from the pitching and rolling of the ship, but it would make sense if this was more of a dealer prop based on a marine chronometer, or perhaps even a local accurate time source for setting of other watches in the dealer's showcase, though that's just speculation.

gatorcpa

Respectable Member gatorcpa

Thanks for your response and advice.

I have no intention of restoring the Omega clock, since it will go back into storage, once again. I would rather have it in its original condition.

I agree with you, once a time-piece is sent back to Switzerland, they will restore everything and try to make it look like new, once again. Of course the originality, that can only come once, will be lost forever,

Yes, I think it is an old clock, based on the font used and possibly, it was used for advertising purposes. Strangely the blue paint job on the mirror is still in good condition.

Once we can get the movement serial number, I am sure forum members will be able to give me, more information about the clock, just for interest sake.

Like you, I reckon it is quite a rare piece and thank you. It must have been well-loved, since it has managed to go through, at least one World War, virtually unscathed. It suffers only a crack on its wooden box cover.

Once I have managed to get the back-cover of the clock opened, I shall post some pictures of its movement and also, the inside of the back-cover.

Thank-you.

I was thinking along the lines of marine chronometer too, but in practical use marine chronometers of this type are almost always suspended within a set of gimbals to isolate the chronometer from the pitching and rolling of the ship, but it would make sense if this was more of a dealer prop based on a marine chronometer, or perhaps even a local accurate time source for setting of other watches in the dealer's showcase, though that's just speculation.

Respectable Member dsio

Thank you for your opinion.

Yes agreed, very likely it was used as a standard time-keeper for shop customers - call it, the older version of our current atomic clock.

Thank-you.

Respectable Members
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

I do not know, whether or not such an Omega timepiece will be of interest, amongst forum members here. Whatever, I would just like to share it with you and also, possibly get some information about it.

I picked this, approximately 40 years ago. Nothing has been done to it, not even a service. It has not been in use, all along.

Till today, I know nothing about the technical aspects of any watch or clock. Some while ago, there were no forums or literature to consult, before picking up something of interest. I would just grab anything that was appealing or that made my heart miss a beat or two.

During the good old days, picking up a used or second-hand item was a social-stigma. I could not care less. However today, there is a dramatic change in opinion and outlook.

After taking the pictures, I gave the winding-crown a few turns and, though not unexpected, this old man is still alive.

Thank-you.

Respectable Members

These are pictures of the clock movement and its inside of the back-cover.

It is hoped, forum members will be able to give me, more information about this Omega desk clock. Also, it is hoped the movement is correct for this clock.

1.jpg 2.jpg To those who have been helpful, I really appreciate.

Thank-you.

You have a 19''' LIB NN 17p from 1922-ish. If you measure it, it should be almost 43 mm wide.