Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Varnado Mar 23, 2019

"My hunch is that Omega know that what they have produced will knock it out of the park, and the additional wait is all about building interest and speculation."

If they had a clue about what they were producing they wouldnt have made an all gold and two tone version. We are the heart and soul of the brand and if they cannot attract us fanboys then they have missed the mark.

I am going to get my deposit back today. They have had it and the interest on it for long enough. Not interested in the current offerings and not confident that what they may or may not announce in May will even be worth the wait. With all of the hundreds of models they release, the odds of another Snoopy or truly collectible version to me is slim.

robinhook and gttime like this.
  2. rafabond Mar 23, 2019

the back will be something like this photograph

E9D60403-726F-4EA1-AA2E-EB19CA07C2D9.jpeg

robinhook likes this.
  3. simbal Mar 23, 2019

You do have a point here. I just know my own situation, since Basel I have placed 2 orders with other brands and still looking, by May my interest to get more pieces is not as much I am sure.....

4. simbal Mar 23, 2019

I am considering taking my deposit back as well but for few K's I will willing to wait for few more months and see what they come up with. With a TT, I am not holding my breath....

5. To the moon Mar 23, 2019

The Eyes on the Stars was not a good seller and was even offered at discount by ADs.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2019

Before Basel ;) makes a huge difference with visabity in news feeds. It’s an old trick to not make announcements during big conventions as everyone is making announcements. Announce before or after to get your message out effectively.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2019

Your not the average watch buyer, the marketing and timings not directly based on the type of buyer you are.

Foo’s rule of marketing #4 never assume your the average customer, by looking at the marketing / business you’ve already distanced yourself. The average customer is defined by data and in theory could not exist with all aspects of the average in one person.

Ree likes this.
  8. snake.doctor Mar 23, 2019

The problem with the retention of information is that they will loose clients like me who don't have a lot of money to spend in expensive watches.

I'm a collector and a space fan, and I need to make a strict selection of watches I can actually spend my budget on. I was saving for the SS edition of the 50th, but if it's a two-tone it will be probably a no-go for me. In the meantime I'm looking at another LE that I might get for a relatively good price considering the market today, still at about twice the MSRP at the time it hit the market... And if I buy it, no possibility to buy the 50th edition.

robinhook, waveguide and nismo like this.
  9. nismo Mar 23, 2019

I am in the exact same position. I have contacted a few stores today (OB and ADs) to purchase another type of watch with a deal made by next week hopefully. My waiting this long already resulted in missing out on other watches sold and I can't let it happen again for what I've been told is a two-tone and no other information expected anytime soon. I'm done waiting.

rominvicta likes this.
  10. usasuisse Mar 23, 2019

I am wondering whether the 321 return will be in an Apollo 13 anniversary version. Any thoughts?

11. Stufflers Mom Mar 23, 2019

Before you flounce off and ask for your money back you might as well wait and see exactly what you put the money down for, as it seems daft to pay a deposit on something that you know nothing about and then ask for the money back on the strength of rumours and hearsay.

Evitzee, robinhook, Mcvictory and 3 others like this.
  12. snake.doctor Mar 23, 2019

That's exactly the point. I don't want to miss a good deal on another watch I'm looking for for some time if it is to be really disappointed by a product they just don't want to release now...

13. gttime Mar 23, 2019

Nope that’s going to be somewhere else.

14. Varnado Mar 23, 2019

I rolled the dice putting a deposit down for something no one knew anything about. 4 months later we know a little more but, not much. I am no longer interested in playing this game and I don't care what they release. I can tell you this.. whatever it is wont be in limited supply or difficult to obtain. No modern speedy ever is...

15. Ree Mar 23, 2019

That's what I've been saying the whole time. How and why would people put deposits down for watches they have never even seen?? The over enthusiasm is killing it

Edited Mar 23, 2019
    rominvicta likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 23, 2019

The flip side is if it had been an LE of say 950 watches, and they were ss (w/ no gold accents), those who did not make deposits would be left to battle it out in bidding wars for stock held by the resellers.

17. Ree Mar 23, 2019

That's an accepted risk then isn't it? Why the rants?
    Either release is good and they get a watch that's going to be worth 3x more.
    Or release is so-so and there are 6969 pieces, and end up dipping below retail.
    This is an accepted risk I'm sure one's aware of by putting deposit to an unknown watch.
    Me personally I'd expect Omega to release a lot of pieces for 50th anniversary since the beginning. They are not Rolex and Omega seems to be happy in pleasing customer with pieces they can access.

18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 23, 2019

There was no risk putting down a deposit, as they were reportedly 100% refundable. So it the release turned out to be desirable, and a low number, you would be set because you made the deposit. And if the release was a bit more iffy, and/ or in much higher #s, then you can go back to Omega and get the deposit refunded.

With savings accounts paying 0.2% interest, it's not like it costs anything to make sure you have one reserved.

PhysicsIsFun, robinhook and MCG555 like this.
  19. nismo Mar 23, 2019

Kind of off topic, but to keep cash on the side I'd suggest using a money market fund that gets around 2.25% instead. Vanguard (VMMXX), Fidelity (SPRXX), and Schwab (SWVXX).

20. CaptDngr Mar 23, 2019

Not that it'll happen, but the risk of putting down a deposit is they go bankrupt and can't return your deposit. :)

Always got to weigh the risk-reward of giving someone else your money to hold.