Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 13, 2019

Based upon the Apollo 11 50th anniversary in Gold, a numbered #1014 edition Gold Speedmaster, what can we expect for the Steel version ?

Based on the Revolution Watch video with Omega CEO Raynald Aeschlimann, what was Omega thinking ?

1. Due to the success & fame in the vintage market, Omega's starting point was to create the same emotion and soul of a 1969 watch, especially for the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 Speedmaster. Hence DON bezel, applied logo, even a cubic crater box, etc...
    2. It was important to bring new technologies (3861 master chronometer movement + new materials for dial = Moonshine gold alloy and a bezel in ceramic), characteristics of an innovative brand.
    3. Gold version is a numbered edition #1014 not limited edition Speedmaster but with an enormous accessibility via Social Media (#SpeedyTuesday) is important to reach out to the Speedmaster community.

What could this mean for the Apollo 11 50th anniversary in Steel ?

1. Vintage market emotion & soul: maybe a 105.012 lookalike with applied logo dial, drop end chronometer hand and DON bezel ? A tribute to Omega's close historical link with the 1960s conquest of space ?
    2. New technologies: Co-axial escapement ? New material for movement (display caseback ?) and new material for dial & bezel... we have even seen luminova subdials on the #SpeedyTuesday2... So lots of possible innovations there.
    3. Limited edition production numbers: Reaching out to the Speedmaster community would probably mean at least size order ~ ten thousand Speedmaster chronographs for the steel version...

What else to remember ?

They talked about the importance of a 50th anniversary and mentioned the Alaska Project. Well 2019 is also the 50th anniversary of the Alaska Project and we still might see a tribute to the black radial dial Alaska III project as used by the Space Shuttle astronauts between 1981 and 1994... Omega's perfect space watch!
    The Gold version was unexpectedly revealed before the planned March 2019 Omega event... will Omega do the same for the Steel version ? Certainly, there's a lot of anticipation and the earlier the Speedmaster community knows the new chronographs, the more interest there will be... So keeping our eyes open for another SpeedyTuesday soon ?

:coffee:

2. Ree Mar 13, 2019

Looking at how the Gold one looked like, I'd say the steel might look vintage at the front but modern at the back...

Also since they're saving new 321 for another day, I'd say Alaska, if any, would be another different day.

3. Screwbacks Mar 13, 2019

so what happens now to the supposed revival of the 321 after all the hype and media thrills? will it be a hoax? or will it be called 3.321. ;):thumbsdown:

4. Ree Mar 13, 2019

I'd say the 321 is saved for another new lineup entirely. We have Apollo lineup, SpeedyTuesday lineup, and next 321 lineup. Each unique and to cater to different kinds of demand.

5. Screwbacks Mar 13, 2019

the expectation is innovation. so it's hybrid 321.

fskywalker and lustrousaurus like this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 13, 2019

This would do nicely.
    upload_2019-3-13_21-47-52.png
    (From IG account of Gerard (Fratello)).

Edited Mar 13, 2019
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 13, 2019

Well the last couple of years an online Speedmaster community emerged and since we have been bombarded with LE Speedmasters...
    Although the timing is essential as the 50th Apollo 11 anniversary is an important marketing opportunity, I'm afraid we might have reached the limit of getting a new Speedmaster every six months or so... Omega does realise that the Speedmaster community might get bored, so it's important to spread the production of a possible Alaska Project and 321 version... even later for a #SpeedyTuesday3 version.
    Otherwise, to resparkle interest with the younger generation growing up in Space X times and Moonmania (India, Israel, China, etc going to the Moon) I would like to see the Steel version in a cubic crater box together with an update of their 1994 " The Moonwatch " publication... That would be a nice & interesting 50 years Apollo 11 tribute package !

8. lustrousaurus Mar 13, 2019

I’m conflicted, I like the Alaska Project and the whole story behind it but when I think Apollo 11, I don’t think of Alaska Project. Of course, everything seems to point towards it, again you said 50 years of Alaska, new 321 was named Alaska 11, and new technologies was certainly something we had in the projects. I’m just not sure which one it would be a tribute towards since we got the Alaska III tribute in ST1. I would think the next Alaska would be in a MKII Barrel case.

The steel version could be a tribute to all previous Apollo 11 releases. Just combine them all and you got your 50th

9. kilofinal Mar 13, 2019

I like that!

fskywalker, rominvicta and queriver like this.
  10. Seaborg Mar 13, 2019

I do not know why, but, as for the gold one, I guess Omega gonna create a kind of special alloy for the case. Maybe something made with some residues of the Apollo rocket launchers :whistling:

11. kilofinal Mar 13, 2019

It would have been neat to have an 8 day movement to match the 8 mission days for Apollo 11.

12. boogedyboo Mar 13, 2019

Ummm, the same watch as the Gold version but in stainless steel?

13. queriver Mar 13, 2019

+1. Would be very happy with exactly this in SS. But don't laser engrave 316L or similar on the dial.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 13, 2019

My gut says, if we see this, it will be in white gold :whistling: Would love to be wrong. But I guess soon we shall see...

15. ext1 Mar 13, 2019

Honestly, I'd like to see a minute bezel ... always better to have more options. I do feel the tachy is too cluttered sometimes.
    But it's not like it's gonna be offered as a readily available service part, so, hmm, maybe the dream is dead...

16. queriver Mar 13, 2019

We're not expecting another precious metal Apollo XI 50th are we? CHF 32K is already over the budget of most people so adding a WG LE will just cannibalise the YG market.

jankymutt, BenBagbag, Seaborg and 3 others like this.
  17. bama2141 Mar 13, 2019

This... unfortunately

fskywalker likes this.
  18. abrod520 Mar 13, 2019

I don't think I would be moved to buy a reissue of the 105.012 myself, seeing as I already own and love wearing the original. But I do like the idea of the new movement + materials technology (ceramic bezel especially) and so I think the same watch in steel as the gold version would be fairly interesting. I just hope there's some more creativity in it along the lines of the last couple of LE Speedmasters. Oh, and a hesalite crystal.... I didn't quite like the sapphire on my XI-45th.

djmusicman and fskywalker like this.
  19. wouter van wijk Mar 13, 2019

My guess is:

That after 50 years it is time to move ahead and improve the regular Speedmaster with the co-axial movement and a ceramic bezel. I think the co-axial movement in the Speedmaster is the most important news here.

and for the Apollo XI, it would not surprise me if they come with even more variations than only two (a steel and a gold one). Not necessary all of the following since they already got the yellow gold 2019 Tribute to Astronauts re-edition, but some of these below with similar numbers like 25 years ago. page 388 MWO:

Option 1 Steel Apollo 11 LE: 2500 pieces re-edition of the 145.022-69 Apollo XI Moonwatch Only page 302 and some small detailing and improvements (ceramic bezel) or funky bits on the dial or same as the 2019 Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Limited Edition with a similar steel caseback as the 145.022-69 Apollo XI and a co-axial movement under the hood

Option 2 Steel Apollo 11 LE: 999 pieces re-edition of the 145.022-69 Apollo XI Moonwatch and some small detailing and improvements (ceramic bezel) or funky bits on the dial or same as the 2019 Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Limited Edition one with a glass display caseback and a refined co-axial movement like they more often tend to do with glass display casebacks (1863 rhodium). Check MWO page 390 Apollo XI-Italy

500 pieces white gold Check MWO page 392 Apollo XI-I25th anniversary-white gold

50 pieces skeleton platinum Check MWO page 394 Apollo XI-I25th anniversary-skeleton platinum

10 pieces skeleton &diamonds Check MWO page 396 Apollo XI-I25th anniversary-skeleton diamonds

Although they say there will not come a ST3 this year, it would make more sense to me to do the ST3 105.012 with the new/old caliber 321. And some crazy thing like an additional text on the side of the caseback one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind

fskywalker likes this.
  20. cfracing Mar 13, 2019

My guess is the stainless Apollo XI 50th Anniversary Speedmaster will be based off of the 105.012 or 145.012 with the 3861 movement and will be a precursor to the new Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch line. I saw somewhere on the internet that it would be a limited edition of over 6,000 units, and I will go with that number.

I also (wishfully) think the watch that will house the new 321 will be based on the 105.003 "Ed White". Omega announced that they had digitally scanned Gene Cernan's 105.003 while researching the 321, but they could also have been taking measurements of the case just like they had done with the 60th Anniversary Trilogy watches. Classic case for classic movement.

Edited Mar 13, 2019