Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. rainking Mar 21, 2019

Agree completely. The whole thing thus far is pretty uninspired. Omega uber fanboys seem like the only real target for these things. Some of those guys eat up just about every and any Speedmaster version Omega spits out. Speedmaster is my favorite watch line, too, but some of the offerings are definitely suspect. Who's looking for two tone gold watches in 2019? Or even full gold watches? Maybe it's me and I'm out of touch.

2. dscoogs Mar 21, 2019

S/b Monday Oct 5th, 2020 :)

Snoopy Award.jpg

and you can try to get Snoopy 3 watch No. 1005 to (almost) match the award date:

Snoopy Back.JPG

robinhook likes this.
  3. CaptDngr Mar 21, 2019

I have it on good authority that there won't be any Speedy announcements this week.

Supposedly dealers are being briefed in a closed door session, no cameras allowed, sometime soon. But nothing is dropping until a month+ from now.

I'm not liking Swatch Group's change in direction on how they are doing their launches now that they pulled out of Baselworld.

robinhook likes this.
  4. Pepe Lucas Mar 21, 2019

I just came from the OB and they said the same. Just dealers buying watches and not really good/ detail information about those watches. Maybe some releases to the general public in May.

5. dwboston Mar 21, 2019

I'm glad I didn't wait for this. I really wanted a "1969-2019" Speedy since I just turned 50 a few weeks ago, but two-tone just doesn't do it for me. I went ahead and ordered a white dial Speedmaster racing version instead.

robinhook, EssDub and KstateSkier like this.
  6. queriver Mar 21, 2019

The growing range of two-tone watches on the market is I think a step towards more gold being offered by watch companies, most likely driven by demand from Asian markets that like gold in jewellery and watches. On top of that, things move in cycles and gold has been out of favour for a long time. Hopefully gold will only continue to make up a small portion of sports watch and chronograph offerings, including speedmaster LEs, and the 50th is seen to be an outlier.

Edited Mar 21, 2019
  7. KstateSkier Mar 21, 2019

gold watches. WOOF.

pianomankd likes this.
  8. CaptDngr Mar 21, 2019

Indeed.

I'm not sure what the point is, to be honest. How are dealers even able to properly assess interest?

My OB is asking me for a full deposit for a watch I've never seen, have heard rumors it won't even be full Steel (i.e., two-tone), a retail price significantly higher than most prior full-steel LE Speedy's... How can I make a proper decision? And how can they make a proper decision on how many to ask for from Omega?

robinhook likes this.
  9. JesterP Mar 21, 2019

I would think Ad's had a right good moan at Omega after St1 and St2 being online and collection being mainly OB's .So Omega said no dont be like that it's all about you Mr Ad owner come to Zurich and be my best friend and we will whisper sweet nothings in each other's ears about secret plans for world wristy domination.

10. Pepe Lucas Mar 21, 2019

I know, even the people at the OB were surprise that there were not new releases this week or what or how they will look like.

11. nismo Mar 21, 2019

Wait for the Snoopy 3 next year for the 50th anniversary? I think I learned my lesson based on what's gong on with this 50th anniversary watch. It'll probably be gold as well for the 50th and no thanks to that...

I also do not like how Omega is announcing (or should I say not announcing) this watch until May as some here are suggesting. What a strange way to handle things.

I contacted an AD (non-OB in case those thinking it's a non-corp OB) almost 2 months back about the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 watch after my OB didn't give me any updates at that time. He said they "expect that we should be getting quite a few." I knew at that time there would be a high number of them and not a limited number like 1,969...closer to 10k which seems to be right after my OB told me 6,969 this weekend.

robinhook likes this.
  12. CaptDngr Mar 21, 2019

Yeah, I'm told 6,969 is also the number for the Steel Two-Tone.

That's not even remotely close to Limited Edition. They struggled to sell all the '57 LE's (2557 + 557).

If they made this non-LE, I'd be surprised if they sell 7k of them in the first year, to be honest.

13. BenjaminT Mar 22, 2019

They underestimated the drive and focus from a concerted event like Baselworld. Imagine Omega releases watches in May and nobody is attentive. It's not that I desperately need to get a new watch. They are all obsolete technology anyway.

14. ioaniro Mar 22, 2019

Depends, the Eyes on stars snoopy was one of these extended editions of 5-6000 pieces and it sold quite well I think. If it's a nice watch with a decent price it will sell easily. If its 7000 watches two tone in the style of the golden one already announced I think it will struggle a bit.

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 22, 2019

One thing about Baselworld is it seemed to force manufacturers to roll out a handful of new watches on a specific annual timetable. I suspect some (if not all) makers therefore tossed out some crap just to have something to claim as 'new'. Hopefully with Omega separating from Baselworld they can roll out new releases whenever they are actually ready, and perhaps cut down on the one year delivery times by not having to announce in March every year. Granted the 2-tone is a huge disappointment to many, but honestly how many variants of a ss Speedmaster can you roll out without them all seeming pretty much the same? What would have made the new LE truly 'special' is it were all ss, that hasn't already been in another LE in the last 10 years? Maybe the modern 321, but it seems like they dropped the ball getting it ready in time to go into these.

16. ejj Mar 22, 2019

This is exactly the new plan--dealers are ordering, and Omega is doing separate launches throughout the year.

The SS Apollo will have gold on the hands and bezel. It might not look so TT--it might be nice.

17. abrod520 Mar 22, 2019

This worked really well on the 45th - but part of that was the darker hue of the dial and case too. I'm still interested in it, but at nearly 7k units and a wait until May to see what it looks like, I'm considering asking for my deposit back and deciding later on whether I want one or not

wsfarrell likes this.
  18. EssDub Mar 22, 2019

I turn 50 on 20 Jul, the day they actually landed on the moon - shame the previous anniversary watches have 21 Jul 69 engraved on the back!
    Was going to splash out, but may just get a standard one now.

robinhook likes this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 22, 2019

I turned down the opportunity to place a deposit earlier this week. Since there will be so many produced I will wait and see how they look, and buy one later if I like it. Seeing how the values of the 60th anniversary watches have not really held up, I highly suspect these 50th watches will be available BNIB for less than MSRP from the resellers.

20. greenecollector Mar 22, 2019

Not sure if you all follow other brands but Rolex announced a two-tone steel & yellow gold Sea-Dweller this week, so whilst I'm not personally a fan of two-tone it's clear that for whatever reason there does seem to be a demand/perceived demand for such watches.

I mean, a two-tone Sea-Dweller!

robinhook, wsfarrell and Om3ga321 like this.