Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Omega-Q May 7, 2019

Ultimately, it is a watch that commemorates an important part of history. For some, it invokes a special feeling...especially if they were alive when it happened. I really think it's not so much the watch than it is the event itself. But like everybody has said, we all have to wait to see the reveal...

2. Evitzee May 7, 2019

Yes, that is part of the strategy. I remember years ago when the common $40 Swatch watch had a somewhat cult following. Swatch had a lot of limited edition watches and people were buying them up and flipping them. That's easy to do with a $40 watch, but Nicholas Hayek said he wanted to make these watches a little difficult to find, but not impossible so they tried lotteries, or getting a voucher one day and coming back the next day to pick it up, special times for collection, special clubs with access to special editions, etc. Omega figures by requiring substantial cost outlay before delivery it will short circuit some of the flipping activity they have seen with other special limited editions. They'll be some flipping by individuals but you won't see the normal high volume flippers. Project in progress.

What you are missing is the collector mentality for limited issued items. Cars, iPhones, handbags, jewelry, watches, high end audio equipment, etc. People want stuff that is limited in their numbers, that is attractive and shows their status (real or perceived). It is what it is, but this activity has been around long before the wristwatch..

Edited May 7, 2019
  3. JSal16 May 7, 2019

Is it too much to ask for a basic Speedmaster with an updated movement and 50th anniversary engraving on the back? The gold besel and accents I keep hearing about sound like an overkill of a classic.

4. MCG555 May 7, 2019

Yes, for instance tulips in the 18. century in Holland… :D

5. abrod520 May 7, 2019

The going theory is that the standard Moonwatch will be upgraded to the new co-axial movement sometime in the next couple of years. But an LE will always have a few more special touches than just a caseback engraving - you can look to the Apollo XI 30th for that if you prefer

6. MTROIS May 7, 2019

Philosophically, one could also simply ask why a "50th anniversary" is any more important or worthy of a celebration than a 49th or 51st one!! :D
    Why do people love so much round numbers, decades, etc. ?? ::confused2::

7. MCG555 May 7, 2019

Because :thumbsup:

MTROIS likes this.
  8. Evitzee May 7, 2019

That's where we are at this point, everybody is reacting to what they 'hear', or what it 'sounds' like, they are acting on emotions and not on facts. There have been NO public pictures of this watch. We would be better to cool our jets and wait for the reveal, then we can go nuts on how good Omega did, or how they messed up a classic.

Omega-Q likes this.
  9. kelsey May 7, 2019

Discussions are consistent with the title of this thread, no?

I for one enjoy reading peoples predictions (positive or negative).....so.....guess away, comment, criticize........ its rather entertaining ;)

10. snarkq May 7, 2019

I understand collector mentality.. i own a few LE speedies myself. However they were substantially less than $10,000. And substantially lower total volume. I believe they are ascribing value to 50th anniversary that doesn't seem to match reality. I visited a local 50th anniversary celebration of Apollo 11 at Museum of Flight in Seattle and it was marginally busier than usual. I think space geekdom is a bit niche :)

Anyways, excited to see it. Sounds pretty figured out at this point:
    - Moonshine gold accents on Bezel
    - Moonshine gold lunar module in style of apollo mission patch
    - Moonshine gold footprint on caseback

Doesn't sound all too different from the other hallmark years. 45th anniversary was also a very unique watch with gold accents and priced at $7,700; $2000 for more gold detail and 300% more volume is an aggressive move imo

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 7, 2019

No one has mentioned the 50th commemoration coin/medallion that comes with the watch :whistling:

Got to add at least $1000 to a plain Jane speedy ;)

40th had one.
    image.jpeg

Pepe Lucas likes this.
  12. jpjsavage May 8, 2019

I was born in June 1969. I have a pre-moon speedy. I'm hoping to get one of the 50th anniversary models (will be a nice birthday present). Both watches will go to my sons who have a better chance than I have of being around to pick up the 100th anniversary model (presuming there is one. Anyone got any leaks about that?). Seriously, can't wait for further news next week. Very exciting.

robinhook, T3F, RemiWM and 8 others like this.
  13. Screwbacks May 8, 2019

suits your birthyear and moonlanding. 50th anniversary is appropriate. go for it. ;)

14. Pepe Lucas May 8, 2019

You have a really good point. Just imaginen if the coin is actually made off gold. Around 14 hundred dollars for an ounce.

15. Mongooseman May 8, 2019

If the Speedmaster Pro gets reissued with coaxial, and hesalite, is hackable, and is the same thickness as the hand wound one I used to have, I'll be selling my 2018 300M Diver in a big hurry.

16. Riviera Paradise May 8, 2019

Just checking to see if you are aware that the new 3861 based Speedies will still be hand wound. It might make you pause for reflection if you are lusting for an automatic Speed Pro. Your lust will be unfulfilled.

17. mohcawa May 8, 2019

Hello everyone, my name’s Mike, haven’t posted in a long time but I’ve enjoyed reading through the comments. Currently my collection includes a 3572, ST1 and ST2. Excited to see what’s in store with the steel 50th. The predictions are fun to read, and the photoshopped images are pretty cool.

Since Omega introduced the Master Chronometer certification, I wondered if it would ever be used in the moonwatch as a non-special edition. I know the original movement is historic, but it would be cool to have a more accurate, antimagnetic moonwatch that is all steel, not gold like the 50th.

Just a couple days ago, Omega’s IG account had a photo of the original moonwatch with the caption, “the tech can change but don’t mess with the look”. Perhaps an all-steel, manual 3861 non-limited moonwatch is on the horizon? Hopefully, just my thoughts. Best

Mongooseman, Riviera Paradise and T3F like this.
  18. 83n May 8, 2019

I would wait, that is a great idea!

19. Riviera Paradise May 9, 2019

Yes, everything communicated so far points in that direction. Ref. the 3861's METAS certification I think it only makes sense if the new movement is hackable. If the 50th LE is positioned at +US$9K, I think the steel 3861 Speedy non-LE would probably be at around US$7K...i.e close to current 1861 Speedy Pro LE pricing.

20. taz101 May 9, 2019

So what time is the cape canavaral thing?

siguzzi likes this.