Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. bmickdewey May 4, 2019

I had the opportunity to see the 50th Apollo in Zurich at Time to Move. I promised not to post info too early, but since the press release is this month...let’s have some fun!

My favorite part of the watch, was the bracelet! It is effectively a modern vintage flat link piece. It looked and felt great on the wrist. Oh, and no two -tone on the bracelet. I already told the Omega guys you MUST offer this bracelet for purchase.

The watch itself is a multiple metal design. To call it two-tone would be incorrect (IMO). It’s very well done I have to admit. The hands are gold accent and the dial was a darker shake. The 50th Anniversary logo is on the back of the watch inlayed into the movement....a co-axial movement.

The box has some very fun goodies!

I wish I could remember more, but that’s all I have!

robinhook, speedy_tc, MCG555 and 9 others like this.
  2. MTROIS May 4, 2019

^Yeah right!!! ;):whistling::D

But thanks for the tip concerning the bracelet. I still have high hopes for this piece....::popcorn::

david5807 likes this.
  3. bmickdewey May 4, 2019

Honest! The Time to Move Event was crazy experience for a watch geek (I don’t work for an AD), just very luck to attend.

You see about a 100 watches across all lines and you are completely overloaded. New Planet Oceans variations, new SMP styles, the Bond watch, new Tresor, the crazy precious metal pieces.

You have the opportunity to see them, wear it for a bit and hear about the features. No pics of course.

Back to the 50th I liked it, and I think most will as well. It’s simply well done.

I remember remembered one other detailz There is gold on the edge of the bezel...maybe inlayed in the bezel (I can’t remember). But like a touch of it, not overpowering or flashy.

Finally, to be honest I’m thinking of buying one when they are released.

rohnin, david5807, Caliber561 and 5 others like this.
  4. MTROIS May 4, 2019

Was just teasing you of course!! We know (and respect) the fact that there is an embargo on info release. Thank you for shedding some light on what promises to be a great LE!

With all the added info, the Photoshop experts around here should be able to narrow down the renditions… :whistling:

david5807 likes this.
  5. taz101 May 4, 2019

What can you tell us about the bond watch

6. anselmw May 4, 2019

Co-axial. Movement? So it is an auto and not manual wind?

7. nismo May 4, 2019

8. mblease May 4, 2019

Would it be likely that Omega would offer this bracelet for sale separately?

9. david5807 May 4, 2019

No gold sub dial?

10. Riviera Paradise May 4, 2019

Lunar explorer in gold detailing on the seconds sub dial.

david5807 likes this.
  11. youncs May 4, 2019

Is anyone going out to the event this week out at Cape Canaveral - Kennedy Space Center? It sounds really neat and I hear they will have the steel version on display. I work right by the Orlando airport and could help with transportation in exchange for entrance. It a quick shot down the beachline. The media will be in attendance too

12. GoBlueJedi May 4, 2019

What day is the event? Is it specifically for the Speedmaster?

13. Skyrider01 May 4, 2019

Is the entire subdial gold or just some
    gold accents on it. I'm not too fond of having just one of the 3 subdials in a different color. Especially in gold which would make it stand out.

14. snake.doctor May 5, 2019

Well, doesn't sound to appealing for myself... Let's see what the whole package will looks like but twice the price for a regular speedie seems quite excessive, even for the new movement...

15. Riviera Paradise May 5, 2019

This is what I have foreseen with my Palantír. Image was a bit hazy and I got distracted by someone screaming my precious, my precious nearby (my Snoopys, we wants it).

Dude...all will be revealed soon. Relax, listen to some Debussy, second movement Beethoven's 5th piano concerto etc. ...let the time pass by.

The Speedy LE is a continuous process, not a product. There will always be a new desirable one coming off the production line, well at least until the moon landing is superseded by something more significant in space travel, and before a generation who cherish NASA and the Apollo program fade away.

Edited May 5, 2019
    Longbow and Caliber561 like this.
  16. uwsearch May 5, 2019

Thanks for that useless input

Skyrider01 likes this.
  17. Riviera Paradise May 5, 2019

Not at all, my pleasure.

I would recommend not biting your fingernails, it does look rather silly.

18. LeonDeBayonne May 5, 2019

The event is on May 9th. No press, no bloggers invited I understand. Just clients.

19. rohnin May 5, 2019

Who gets invited?

20. CodeYoga May 5, 2019

Gold bezel on SS confirmed at the expense of my full deposit. $9,750 for SS. Release date is July but given the history it may be delayed by a month or two.