Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2019

Who called it in June last year. ::psy::::psy::

2. Evitzee May 1, 2019

It's called sarcasm, maybe it was too subtle. People are upset about something they haven't even seen because it will have a gold bezel in a shade of gold they haven't seen in person. I never realized there were so many people with a visceral dislike of the idea of any gold on a steel watch, especially a Speedmaster. It is what it is but it seems irrational to me. But everyone has their own standards of what is acceptable. I try to keep an open mind on design, I'm more interested in the cohesiveness of the whole piece. Many times a product turns out beautiful even though the written specs would indicate otherwise. We shall know soon enough.

Indeed, if one doesn't like the look when it is released the deposit is completely refundable, it is risk free. But some people have an issue with this, too. I wonder if the substantial premium Omega is charging is causing them to prejudge the watch. That would be unfortunate.

RemiWM likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2019

It's not irrational - people just have different tastes.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  4. abrod520 May 1, 2019

Sometimes your tastes can be surprised by what appeals, though ;) - I was surprised at how much I liked the Apollo XI 45th, even though it too had gold elements. (And I was even more surprised at how much I disliked the sapphire crystal, which is a large part of why I no longer own one)

levkov and wsfarrell like this.
  5. watcher1900 May 1, 2019

I decided to call back my deposit and picked up a regular Speedy (hesalite) last Thursday. Given what my AD told me, and the rumors going around, to me (and just to me) the 50th won't really be that special (no 321, etc). A moonshine bezel and a medallion do nothing for me. Financially, I can do $14,000+tax CDN (I mention that only because of comments that if you can afford it you might get it, which isn't true). Logically I can't buy this piece and that would be true even if I had a billion sitting in cash in an account. I just feel that Swatch is taking advantage of people by price gouging on a special occasion. I get the market may be willing to take it and whatever the market is willing to pay is what an item is worth, but in this case it feels like Swatch is using peoples' emotional bond and connection to space travel, the moon landing, and the Speedy to make an extra buck. It feels like a gold digger taking advantage of a rich man who's madly in love with her--love blinds.

Speaking of love, loving my "regular" Speedy and can always say I bought it the year of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing! Still curious about the release though, so hope we hear something soon.

6. T3F May 1, 2019

My boutique told me that it would have a gold bezel, but that's all they know right now aside from the fact that they're almost all spoken for. I'll leave my deposit down and see what happens with it. I've been looking forward to this release for the past few years and really hope I'll like it. I can't help but think that whatever they do, most would've preferred a reissue of the 145.012 with the 321.

watcher1900 likes this.
  7. RemiWM May 1, 2019

My economic sense hope the watch is not that great. Then I can buy a regular Speedy and save my cash. As @watcher1900 said: ...and I can always say I bought it the year of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing!
    My watch collector sense hopes it looks really special and I will buy it as no. 1 on the Norwegian list...
    It will be a hard decition. A couple of weeks more and I know what to do.

8. watcher1900 May 1, 2019

Now a 145.012 with the 321 I'd pay $14,000 for lol.

Travelhomedad and T3F like this.
  9. Ian_km May 1, 2019

Omega have just tweeted the first #moonwatch video, no view of the LE but the end has the Speedmaster logo in gold.

bazderome likes this.
  10. orlis May 1, 2019

I guess we will all know more in 12 days... ;)

11. Pepe Lucas May 1, 2019

But it’s not happening. At least not in the 50th anniversary one. Maybe in another one.

lustrousaurus likes this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 1, 2019

Heck, with them cranking out so many LEs, maybe the 'regular' '19 Speedies will actually be rarer, and eventually worth more :D

watcher1900, levkov and Duckie like this.
  13. Lucasfrey May 1, 2019

Why 12 days ?

14. orlis May 1, 2019

I have this strange feeling it could be THAT date

MTROIS likes this.
  15. MTROIS May 1, 2019

“Lucky 13” then??

16. Duckie May 1, 2019

This.
    And let's not lose sight of the fact that the regular speedy is the one that did the job required of it.
    Certified originally and then re-certified.

Call me cheap, but i just can't reconsile the price point these 50th anniversary watches are going to be sold for. IMO, the Hesalite Speedy Pro is one of the best value for money Swiss watches around when one takes into consideration the watch package. Especially when acquired at a discount.

watcher1900, Saturn V and MCG555 like this.
  17. Duckie May 1, 2019

I was virtually resigned to the fact that I was going to miss out on any Anniversary watch so I had a back up plan to take delivery of the regular version on the anniversary day and at the time that Buzz walked on the moon(after 1pm our time).
    But fate intervened with the well laid out and coordinated plan I had in place when Omega cancelled the dealership of our only dealer in town and then opened a boutique across the street.
    Whilst on a cruise in November the Omega boutique onboard made me offer on a deal I absolutely could not refuse.
    I've got my Silver Snoopy strap fitted and ready to go for the anniversary date.
    I am taking the day off work on the anniversary to go to a special NASA exhibition that's currently running in our city until later in the year.
    So there I'll be wearing the Speedy on the Silver Snoopy strap on my day off work taking it all in.
    Just like when I was a kid and we were given the day off school to be at home watching the grainy telecast of the moon landing on the tellie being relayed to the world through Parks.

watcher1900, RemiWM and Lucasfrey like this.
  18. Screwbacks May 1, 2019

with so many Limited Edition, it becomes unlimited.:D

19. MrJKLFoams May 1, 2019

Omega just released another apollo 11 teaser via IG and looks like the 50th anniversary will jave a gold speedmaster writing on the dial.

david5807 likes this.
  20. david5807 May 1, 2019

Can you post a screen cap/picture? I'm not seeing it on their IG.

MTROIS likes this.