Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. taz101 Apr 18, 2019

End of the day this is all speculation and rumour I mean who came up with the 6969 pieces, can you PROVE it? No, just speculation. Two tone, speculation, Neil Armstrongs armpit hair encased on the back, speculation. It drives us crazy guessing

2. LeonDeBayonne Apr 18, 2019

@taz101 True, there is a lot of speculation and there is no fact nor pics to support this. On the other hand, I was told again by the guys managing one of the boutiques in Paris: steel with gold bezel, a luminous sign in the second subdial (like ST2) and price c. 9 K€. Nothing else.

3. Stufflers Mom Apr 18, 2019

A list with that many names on it sounds a bit daft, how many watches do they think they will see at that store?

4. Screwbacks Apr 18, 2019

looks ideal as a ladies watch to me

SpeedyPhill and queriver like this.
  5. Omega-Q Apr 18, 2019

Perhaps, but have you seen it person? It's actually quite amazing the way it shines in the light and changes colors from a light gray to a dark gray (almost blackish). Mine comes in next week.

But back on topic, my OB informed me that there will be gold accents on the SS version, but no additional details. We can only wait to see...

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  6. Matty1 Apr 18, 2019

I bought the standard moonwatch in the end. From a OB with a free service thrown in and some omega goodies. I’m happy. T considering the time value of money having a free service in say 10 years time is better than money off now in my book as it’s a watch for me

JesterP and SpeedyPhill like this.
  7. shoota70 Apr 18, 2019

I like your move @Matty1

My father has reserved his place in line for the 50th....

I keep telling him to buy a regular old Speedy and save all that cash. The regular Speedy is the "every" anniversary edition celebrating all NASA and Omega Speedmaster achievements.

henrikaa, kkt, JesterP and 3 others like this.
  8. queriver Apr 18, 2019

I haven't seen it in person, only the email from Omega today, and accept what you say about the colour effects. It doesn't appeal to me and that is without even taking into account the price. Putting Ti and Au together in a single watch doesn't make a lot of sense, Ti is light and works in a toolwatch, Au is heavy and works for a luxury dress watch, but having the two together is just confusion in my opinion.

9. Skyrider01 Apr 18, 2019

I’m not sure about that. There are a lot of rumors and speculation on other forums as well. Some say the same movement as the all gold version, some say the new 321 movement. Also rumors of a commemorative medallion with the lunar module at 9 o’clock. We will just have to wait and see.

10. Evitzee Apr 18, 2019

There are details available on the internal Omega website used by AD's and OB's, what is coming is NOT speculation. I stood over the shoulder of the staff at an OB last month and saw the details, including the pictogram card, but obviously no pics yet. The reference number is set and has been stated previously in this thread, it will be a 6969 piece edition, the number picked for obvious reasons. It will have 'moonshine' bezel and Ceragold insert. That is a fact. There will be some gold on the dial and a special plaque but no one knows what the dial will look like exactly. Pushers and crown are steel. The back of the watch will have a commemorative seal of some sort. The bracelet has a unique ref. number and is expected to match the design of the special moonshine model previously announced, but not confirmed. It will be all steel. The movement will be the 3861 with silicon hairspring and co-axial escapement. Forget the 321, that is a wet dream that will not happen in this watch.

Don't get hung up on the two-tone aspect, moonshine gold looks very pale and not like natural yellow gold which has its own fairly bold color, and I expect the overall look will be very understated, it will look more of a high grade tool watch than a bling-bling job.

Many people are talking about the premium price. Yes, it's a big premium over the standard Speedmaster, but this is a special watch for a special anniversary. Some can't justify the extra cost and that's fine, nothing wrong with the standard edition. But perhaps that extra premium will fade once we know what it looks like. In any event buy what you like and what fits your budget.

MTROIS, henrikaa, solesman and 8 others like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 18, 2019

The armpit hair is speculation for sure, but the rest is pretty solid I think...

MATERIAL: Steel Gold / Métal
    Calibre: 3861
    In collection: YES
    qty limited series total: 6969

Will have MSG (MoonShine Gold, not Monosodium Glutamate) hands. Interesting that the three sub-dial hands are currently listed as all being the same hand...not the case for previous iterations of the movement, so this appears to possibly be more than just an escapement change at this point...

click.tock, dscoogs, nickw and 4 others like this.
  12. abrod520 Apr 18, 2019

A little bit is very tasty.... a lot might make you a bit queasy. Makes sense :p

13. Omega-Q Apr 18, 2019

Everybody needs some MSG in their life...well, 6,969 people will! :)

red crowned likes this.
  14. JesterP Apr 18, 2019

I have heard it all about this watch and if half of the guesses are true I will be glad to save the money to be honest. There are plenty more Speedys in the sea. ST1 and ST2 take some beating.

snarkq likes this.
  15. taz101 Apr 18, 2019

I was in the OB overlooking the shoulder of the reps pc and definitely saw armpit hair
    What’s your feelings on NASA armpit hair?

rominvicta and SpeedyPhill like this.
  16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 19, 2019

They might surprise us all and bring out a full steel " A11 50th anniversary " version after all :unsure:

henrikaa, Screwbacks and mblease like this.
  17. Screwbacks Apr 19, 2019

now that's real news!

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  18. kilofinal Apr 19, 2019

$14K CDN for the 50th Ann. Apollo11? no thanks. Now it makes me wonder what the 50th Anniversary Apollo 13 will be priced at next year. On the secondary market, the 45th anniversary snoopy is retailing for over $30K CDN. By that measure, the 50th Snoopy would seem like a bargain if it were similarly offered at $14K CDN. crazy

19. Omega-Q Apr 19, 2019

Perhaps the LE will come with some? :D

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2019

I didn't look over anyone's shoulder - that information comes right off the Omega Extranet when I typed in the reference number of the watch given previously in this thread. You asked for proof, and there it is.

destroid likes this.