Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. mblease Apr 17, 2019

Did you need to pay a deposit to be added to this list?

2. taz101 Apr 17, 2019

I am top with mine but only because ive bought pieces before I think the rep has to convince the OB manager your VIP etc to go top which makes sense over someone who they've never done business with

RE: Deposit, no OB will take a deposit they can't legally in UK

3. Matty1 Apr 17, 2019

Correct. You are also in the US - right?

4. taz101 Apr 17, 2019

Nope UK

5. Matty1 Apr 17, 2019

Ok. Lucky you! A London OB?

6. taz101 Apr 17, 2019

maybe

7. Matty1 Apr 17, 2019

Your on the list. And you are first. I’ve spoken to a few and likewise I’m added but no idea how many ahead. Just wondering which boutique. I don’t think asking will harm your position.

8. watcher1900 Apr 17, 2019

Hey all - happy to join the group and post my inaugural message :). Just to let everyone know, deposits are taken in Toronto, Canada. I placed deposits down for two Apollo 11s (for myself and my brother) and a friend put a deposit down for one as well. We put our deposits down all the way back in March. I think it was mid-march and for sure pre-Basel. I haven't purchased from the AD but they know I'm a collector and my friends have purchased there as well. I don't know why others have had an issue but try again or try somewhere different.

They called me recently and notified me that it would be all steel, steel bracelet and $14,000 (CAD), presumably plus taxes. Wth? Lol I hope it's a hell of a watch. I asked the AD if pictures are expected anytime soon and he said he expected something to be released over the next week or so--that was 5 days ago.

fakinbacon likes this.
  9. Matty1 Apr 17, 2019

I presume some gold elements?

10. watcher1900 Apr 17, 2019

matty1, not sure, AD didn't say and I didn't ask that. I just decided to stop guessing and wait for Omega to release it or release photos. Honestly, if it's not something special/astounding, I'm pulling back my deposit (as are my brother and friend). I love the Speedie and want one, but I'm not an idiot (subjective personal view, no disrespect to anyone who disagrees). If the watch isn't a substantial improvement over, or significantly special relative to, the regular version, I'm not paying about an $8000 CAD premium (compared to the regular speedie) to get a watch that has a stamp on the back saying 50th anniversary. You could buy a Submariner and regular Speedie for about $14,000!

kilofinal, snarkq and rominvicta like this.
  11. Matty1 Apr 17, 2019

Also heard confirmed price increase on the normal speedy pro. I’m in a dilemma if to go for this or the usual sapphire speedy. I have the funds but not for both. First and probably only nice watch. I’m a one watch person generally.

12. many Apr 17, 2019

I would love that but I heard it's going to be Gold and Steel.

13. RemiWM Apr 17, 2019

I totally agree!
    For that premium price the watch has to have really HIGH class features/materials! Otherwise I will collect the standard Speedy, but buy it on the July 20th to make it my own special Speedy.

watcher1900 likes this.
  14. Skyrider01 Apr 17, 2019

Yes. My AD confirmed steel with gold accents. Rumors are the gold will be the same moonshine gold as the all gold 50th anniversary piece, and it will be on the bezel and possibly the hands as well.

rominvicta and david5807 like this.
  15. rominvicta Apr 17, 2019

Same concept like latest Apollo XVII? All gold and steel and gold separate iteration. Apart of materials they don’t differ in anything else? Even dial is the same?

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 18, 2019

One month ago, when I started this topic, most of us were hoping for a real steel Speedmaster version celebrating the 1969 chronographs, as the Gold version was a superb tribute to the Apollo days...
    A bit later, we hear about a two tone Speedmaster... and a lot of interest faded...
    Omega calls it " metal magic " and to get an idea just look at the SeaMaster 300M, limited to 2500, with Titanium case, Tantalum bezel base & bracelet links, all topped with 18K Sedna Gold touches all over the design...
    I'm thinking Bling Bling Bling ... ::facepalm1::

kilofinal, kkt, JesterP and 2 others like this.
  17. Matty1 Apr 18, 2019

I’m not a bling person. Part of the attraction with the usual moon watch was it’s understated look. Looks like the usual watch for me and change for something else!

kkt likes this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 18, 2019

Indeed, understated but functional... and at least manly/masculine design ;)

19. queriver Apr 18, 2019

This about as far as you can get away from a toolwatch in appearance. A$17,400 is ridiculous.
    [​IMG]

20. S.H. Apr 18, 2019

Yes, a full gold very limited and a SS less limited I'd understand, but a poor man's gold watch ? At this price level? ::facepalm1:: indeed.

Duckie and SpeedyPhill like this.