Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Matty1 Apr 14, 2019

Same experience in london

2. Evitzee Apr 14, 2019

Interesting that different regions are playing differently. UK and Canada (and others) are using the Sgt. Schultz method "I know nothing", whereas the US region fully recognizes the situation and is actively taking orders with substantial down payments (usually full price). The OB's get updates as to the allotment still available and when customer pays for it they email the individual back at Omega Mothership USA who is keeping track of the stock who then sends confirmation back to the OB that a watch is locked in for that person.

OB's in those countries that claim no knowledge are denying reality to those who ask about it, probably a decision by Omega management in those markets. They know via Omega's internal website what the Ref number is along with descriptions of various elements (bracelet, moonshine gold bezel, ceragold insert, etc), and the Pictogram elements are also shown for this watch. Perhaps they just don't want to get into a messy scrum about allocating the watches via advance payments, which probably means most will be swept aside to favored clients/outlets with many fans left empty handed.

Interesting way of doing things for sure.

Edited Apr 14, 2019
    rominvicta likes this.
  3. taz101 Apr 14, 2019

Yea they will if your special enough

4. Matty1 Apr 14, 2019

Define special?

5. Stufflers Mom Apr 14, 2019

That's true. Any shop worth their salt will look after people who have supported them over the years, over some random profiteer who's trying his luck.

6. Matty1 Apr 14, 2019

Or people like me wanted there first nice watch and want a special one. Sounds like I’m not going to be part of the club.

7. starcraft Apr 14, 2019

It will be pretty popular I think. The flippers will buy up plenty and they will begin to sell over list...

8. Stufflers Mom Apr 14, 2019

There's plenty of "special" watches to choose from, and right now the only thing that makes this watch special is that the buying public has very little info. and no photos of the actual watch, so why do you think this watch will be likely be a good choice for your first nice watch?

9. Matty1 Apr 14, 2019

I don’t. But would be nice to have that option.

10. Stufflers Mom Apr 14, 2019

In that case you are a lucky guy who can drop $10,000 on his first "nice watch" I had to start much lower down the food chain with a Tag 1500.

11. Matty1 Apr 14, 2019

40th and all that. First real treat!

12. Evitzee Apr 14, 2019

We all started pretty low down on the totem pole. $10,000 is a lot of coin but look at what people spend on cars, houses, smart phones, computers, vacations, etc, that kind of money isn't that out of line. If Matty1 can afford it and justify it, why not?

Edited Apr 14, 2019
  13. Duckie Apr 14, 2019

Certainly, there are indeed plenty to choose from. Especially in and around the Omega brand for what it may be worth.
    But what of those people who are old enough and can remember watching the moon landing and first step on the moon.
    Then are currently motivated to pick up the 50th Speedy as their one and only special watch.
    No purchase history no help and effectively excluded unless the go grey in order to be able to aquire.

I know life isn't fair, but can't the little guys get some sort of a break? Somewhere??

14. Evitzee Apr 14, 2019

I walked in to the OB in St. Louis for the first time while visiting just to check out the Speedmaster stock (nothing special in the cases) and just started talking to the three persons manning the store. The subject of the anniversary watch came up and they told me what they knew based on the information on the internal Omega website which they allowed me to look at. But no pictures, of course. They pitched to me the idea of securing one even though they had no idea of what I had purchased through the Omega network. Answer, one strap and clasp from the San Antonio boutique in January so I was no long term customer through the boutique structure. At the end of the day each store is trying to sell watches and a sale is a sale. I think if one would walk into an OB in the US and ask to buy one they could do so. Omega is trying to cut down on the flippers who won't fully commit the full amount sight unseen. IMO the little guy can get a break in this case, they just have to be serious.

MTROIS likes this.
  15. queriver Apr 14, 2019

The Australian situation is the same as what is apparently occurring in the UK and Canada. I approached an OB earlier this year and was told it is unlawful to take deposit money from a customer if the supplier is not able to articulate anything about the product to that customer. Yes, today there is more "information" (in quotes) available to a potential customer than earlier this year, at least to those that read OF but not really others, but still there is nothing a customer can rely on through any form of confirmation about the product by Omega. This is self evident by all the speculation about the watch in this thread. Therefore, I don't believe it's a Sgt Schultz head-in-the-sand attitude by Omega management or any desire to keep their hands clean, it's simply complying with the law -- Omega locally has waiting list/s but they can't "firm up" the list/s by taking deposits and that inability to hand over a deposit creates a risk for both the supplier and the customer but, it is what it is.

16. Skyrider01 Apr 14, 2019

Yes indeed. At the Toronto AD who told me there was no list and knew nothing about the watch, I actually have purchased from them before, so I have somewhat of a relationship with them. However at the Miami AD, I have never purchased anything from them but I have established a friendship with one of the dealers and had told him a couple of months ago to keep me informed about any info on the release and that I was interested in getting one.
    The day they were informed about the watch and allowed to take deposits, I was the first person he called.

Evitzee likes this.
  17. c2500 Apr 14, 2019

One Hong Kong Boutique I asked today neither acknowledged a yet-to-be announced steel 50th, nor offered opportunity for deposit or waiting list.

They said that once it (the thing they had no idea about) was announced, they would have a waiting list.

Travelhomedad likes this.
  18. RemiWM Apr 15, 2019

Hi,
    My first post here. Been lurking around for a few years, but not registered until yesterday.

I can give you some updates from Norway where I live:
    I put my self on a waiting list in Nov. last year at my local AD for the 50th Speedy. There was no deposit then. I’ve been in contact with them during the winter and finally some news this week. They confirm that the movement will be 3861, gold bezel, official release during mid May, price NOK 85-89.000,- (~10.000 CHF). In May I have to pay a deposit, normally around 10%.
    This AD is owned by the largest watch-shop group here in Norway. I also got confirmation that I’m no. 1 on the list, so my chances of getting one is pretty high! But the price is DOUBLE of a normal Speedy Pro! Not shure if it’s worth it.
    My relation to the dealer is good as I have purchased 2 other Speedy’s from them since 2015, + some Certina’s.

A little about me since this is my first post here:
    Age 36, married, 1 kid, live just outside of Oslo - Norway, work in the elevator and escalator business.
    My collecting started in 2014. Started slow with Orient, Seiko etc. My dream was to own a Speedy within 5 years (2019). It took only 6 months and my first Speedy was bought new. Since then it has only escalated. Currently my collection is Rolex Explorer 214270, Seiko chronograph from Dec. 1982 (birthyear and month!), Orient, Certina, Victorinox Inox, and so on. I sold my second Speedy Pro last year to start saving for the 50th Speedy. Can’t wait to see the watch live!

19. MCG555 Apr 15, 2019

4 more weeks and we know for sure... :)

20. Matty1 Apr 17, 2019

So speaking with some of the same Ob in London they now “appear” to have a list. I asked to be on one and confirmed what position I’m on. Was hesitant to say, but in a position over 100! Doubt I will get one then.