Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Alinghi (Dark Side of the Moon) Limited Edition Watch

1. Evitzee Jul 28, 2020

There is an Apollo 8 strap that can be used with the ceramic deployant clasp. You can't use the same strap that came with the watch but the replacement looks the same. Unless they have discontinued it.

E0A010C3-B65A-4135-A649-79CCF12AF10F_StrapReplacement.jpg F7670892-3141-4468-B17A-C9E666902135_DPBuckle.jpeg
  2. griffith_500 Jul 28, 2020

Yep, your Local OB is wrong, I have it on mine, no issues at all with chipping so far:

EE8B37E1-A8BB-44E1-B6DD-371B2459E580.jpeg

JetLinks, Omega-Q and Stripey like this.
  3. Stripey Jul 28, 2020

Muppets. Thank you, both.

4. pdxleaf ... Jul 28, 2020

Thanks OP for the review.

My initial response was surprise to see a sailing watch but almost immediately thought, yeah, of course. Going from fast cars to fast spaceships was more of a strech than incorporating fast sailboats. The racing theme makes sense to me and it opens the door (potentially) to many more interesting designs. Thumbs up.

It's an interesting design certainly. Looking at the watch, it didn't say sailing to me. This watch does have a strong connection to the Apollo 8 dark side, if that was their stated goal. The Apollo 8 was of course brilliant. But I don't understand why they chose to continue the dark side theme with sailing. What I question is the use of a skeleton style dial and dark black case. This has the unfortunate thought of a sunken boat, dark and shattered. A little disturbing for a nautical theme.

When comparing it to the ship from the Omega site, they did a better job than I initially expected by relating it to the actual boat. Still, i think Omega missed an opportunity for a mixture of white, red and dark. Sailing also has interesting sail shapes, use of chevrons and color. Not to mention the dual hulls. There are many design elements they seem to have ignored. Think of what they could have done with the bezel. Perhaps even mixing white in the case.

Last thing is the functionality. I am not a competitive sailor nor familiar with their needs in a watch. From my lack of experience it seems that this watch would be difficult to use on a racing boat with a lot of distractions. The red spinning dial? Cool if you are on land. Even the rest of the dark dial seems like it might be tough to use at a glance.

This watch was probably not intended for me. I get that. As a watch, it's really attractive and has many interesting features. As a sailing watch, not so sure. But again, maybe it wasn't designed for me.

I hesitated sharing this because I don't want to be boorish. There is much to like and I am excited about the possibilities of extending the racing theme with the speedmaster. I don't quite understand this design. Perhaps it will in time.

PP-SP-Moonwatch-Alinghi-31192443001002-galerie-1-small.jpg

orlis and griffith_500 like this.
  5. MTROIS Jul 28, 2020

Nice watch overall, although not for me.

Wonder why Omega did not say with (E)TNZ... as they had been for a while now. Remember Sir Peter Blake??
    While Alinghi is also a Swiss team, as some have noted earlier, I associate that team with AP first and foremost, and with Hublot then. No matter what, too much changes of sponsorships for me. I prefer when teams partner for a loooonnnnnnnggggggggg time.....

So where do you guys see a good fit between Alinghi and Omega?? ::popcorn::

rominvicta likes this.
  6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 28, 2020

If I was in the market for another ceramic Omega, then given the choice between this new watch and the Apollo 8, I would go with the Grey Side of the Moon

lando and rominvicta like this.
  7. Dogmann Jul 28, 2020

Hi all

One thing I have noticed that makes very little sense to me is despite the slight difference in the strap descriptions and the much less fancy box for the Alinghi it is here in the UK £870 more than the Apollo 8.

Marc

Edited Jul 28, 2020
  8. rominvicta Jul 28, 2020

Do you think production capacity has something to do with stock? Especially in a situation where Omega sales figures tumbled down because .... well of everything that goes around.

9. Evitzee Jul 28, 2020

Maybe, but if your product isn't available for sale you are losing sales.

rominvicta likes this.
  10. rominvicta Jul 28, 2020

I presume it is just vice versa. You make it unavailable as it does not sell well. Thus you look to penetrate different sub segments. Dark Side of the Moon it has so many iterations ... Look at Chrono24, there is an abundance of offered Apollo 8 pieces that price wise stay close to retail, but that is just because many people expect being limited as time frame it will soon be taken out of production and they will make some money.

11. nzshadow Stowaway Jul 28, 2020

Here's a little dodgy mockup I created. This is all I want. Better yet the red insert is a ruby. That's all.
    0001-6324145032.png

12. Vale21 Jul 28, 2020

What is your creation signification? Didn’t get it .. thx have you tried some snoopy too?

13. Stripey Jul 29, 2020

I tried the Alinghi in an OB in London today (I was in there for a different reason that I'll post about in due time). It's nice, but not the Apollo 8. The red disc looks surprisingly tacky and fragile, I think, in real life, which the photos don't really do justice to. I was a fan of the photos, not so much of the real life watch.

Dedlock likes this.
  14. ChrisInParis Jul 30, 2020

That would be great imho

15. Aaron713 Jul 30, 2020

Agree, but wondered roughly the same thing about the Seamaster Cosmos not being a Speedmaster with the link being "space". The NZL 32 is a regatta timer labelled Seamaster, so maybe there's no rhyme nor reason...

16. Longbow Jul 30, 2020

How’s the caseback fixed? No notches, no NAIAD lock...is it press-fit?

17. redzer007 Jul 30, 2020

as a sailor one thing I'm never wearing on the water is any of my speedies, pretty sure same goes for my seamasters (even the quartz bond). Something cheap and you won't mind losing. Not purely down to WR but thevgeneral bashing everything takes, I have had more than one watch ripped off my wrist never to seen again. Suunto or Seiko for me these days.

I know this is not designed for action, but the speedmaster line and water sports does not do it for me.

Would love an Apollo 8 but think case is too big

18. kilofinal Aug 1, 2020

I agree, but I'm sure the bean counters are happy with the endless iterations that are pumped out. Speaking of allowing customers to configure and order their watch online, I wouldn't put it past them. I want to see a 3D printed lunar surface on a watch dial, similar to the laser ablation we've seen and sprinkled with moon dust with hands covered with the lunar module gold mylar/kaptan insulation

19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 1, 2020

McDaWisel and ama98 like this.
  20. Omega-Q Aug 1, 2020

Just got back from my OB. They informed me that Apollo 8 is back ordered for about 6 months. You can get one...but you will just have to wait for it...