Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Alinghi (Dark Side of the Moon) Limited Edition Watch

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 28, 2020

[​IMG]
    A new Speedmaster release on a Speedy Tuesday! That makes us proud. Here’s the Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Alinghi. Just like the Speedmaster Apollo 8 that we like so much, the Alinghi is based on the Dark Side of the Moon collection. While the Speedmaster Apollo 8 revolves around the Moon, with its […]

Visit Omega Speedmaster Alinghi (Dark Side of the Moon) Limited Edition Watch to read the full article.

(non limited of course, managing editor was too fanatical with the editing ;-)).

Edited Jul 28, 2020
  2. Stripey Jul 28, 2020

I think that looks really beautiful. I'm not about to trade in my Apollo 8, but I'm glad Omega are sticking with the idea of putting 1861 derived movements in a ceramic case - hopefully it will mean more support for these models in future years. If I didn't already have my Apollo 8 (which is special to me for all kinds of reasons), I would be all over this.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. Dedlock Jul 28, 2020

Robert have you heard if this model will replace the Apollo 8? because its the exact same watch base with different design elements and the Apollo 8 was a limited production (not edition).

4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 28, 2020

Hi, nope. The Apollo 8 will continue to exist. I heard a rumor that it would be discontinued, and I checked with Omega HQ and they informed me that the Apollo 8 is just normal collection.

Vale21 likes this.
  5. jzra Jul 28, 2020

Shouldn't be a Seamaster instead of Speedmaster? I really didn't get it

6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 28, 2020

Apparently, the link is "speed". Which - I have been on a racing boat - is kinda true, but I also agree that sea belongs to the Seamaster. It is confusing :). That aside, I like the watch.

rohnin likes this.
  7. vin0616 Jul 28, 2020

its a cool looking one

8. Evitzee Jul 28, 2020

H'mm, I guess I just don't get the tie in with the Dark Side of the Moon and sailboat racing...seems an unwelcome blurring of branding. Call it a Speedmaster if you like but leave off the moon thing. It's not bad, but not as unique as the Apollo 8 version. I suspect it will have limited sales uptake.

flqt-9000 and rominvicta like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2020

Different movement - Apollo 8 has the 1869, and this is an 1865.

Bit of an odd choice for the caliber designation in my view. In the past, there has been a clear progression from older movements to newer versions. So the 861 became the 1861, and the 863 became the 1863. But the 1865 is certainly not an updated version of the 865...

865 CS.jpg

865's are used in the Chronostops...so not a full chronograph movement. Is anyone at Omega paying attention anymore?

Cheers, Al

lando, Traveler, rominvicta and 4 others like this.
  10. griffith_500 Jul 28, 2020

Archer, aren't both the 1869 and the now released 1865 based on the 1861? The difference being that they are skeletonised and blackened in two different ways?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2020

Yes.

Dedlock likes this.
  12. jzra Jul 28, 2020

Sorry for those who like it but for me this watch is a big mistake (wrong collection, wrong movement number). Some are already calling it the Thundercats Moonwatch.

rominvicta, Wetworks, Dogmann and 4 others like this.
  13. Capt Cave Man Jul 28, 2020

:D Thundercats... made me chuckle

Thundercats.png
    Wetworks and Dedlock like this.
  14. texasmade Jul 28, 2020

I saw that the movement is over 2mm thinner. That's quite a big difference and now this watch is under 14mm thick.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2020

Can I ask where this information comes from?

16. queriver Jul 28, 2020

It's personally getting hard for me to get excited every time Omega launches yet another (non-)limited edition Speedmaster with what seems to be ever increasing frequency. This one is particularly "niche" branded with a Swiss sailing group. I respect anyone that wants one of these for whatever reason, whether it's the Swiss or sailing connection or if they just like red accents, but it doesn't float my boat (sorry!).

What I'd like to know is what's Omega's end game with all these LE/non-LE Speedys that keep coming out? Surely there'll come a time when most people will become pretty jaded with all these niche watches which are mostly just variants of previous designs. It's not as if they are priced like football trading cards and people just keep adding to their collection. Are Omega getting to the point where buyers will be able to just configure and order their own watch online based on design templates and Omega then manufactures the watch to the customer's design? (mass customisation). Perhaps these niche watches are a stepping stone toward that end.

kilofinal likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2020

Increase in shareholder value...

SpikiSpikester and wolfe44 like this.
  18. queriver Jul 28, 2020

Well, sure, everything in business can be rolled up to that. That's stating the obvious.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  19. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 28, 2020

I haven't seen that many this year. The Cal 321 and this Alinghi one. Did I miss one?

Stripey likes this.
  20. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 28, 2020

I have asked this at some point (last year), but on their production scale, customisation isn't possible. It is a logistical nightmare, they indicated.

queriver likes this.
  21. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2020

I'm not sure there is another answer, other than the obvious, which was obviously my point. :)