Forums Latest Members
  1. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

Yes, I could do all those things to it, or just buy and wear it. This watch has had a life - I can't imagine how you wear a bezel down like that! Just the culmination of 50 years of dings?!

PS - does pitting get worse, like rot in wood, or does it stop when you take it away from whatever element was causing it?

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 9, 2014

Personally, I would pass - couldn't live with the condition. Sounds as though you're getting comfortable with both price and condition, and if so I say go for it if it pleases you.

3. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

Thanks Darlinboy... No, I am thinking with my heart, I kind of bonded with the watch when I saw the life it must have had, and how handsome the dial, bezel and hands worked together - but I know that many better examples exist, so I will pass and keep looking. Was a nice little find though, and I enjoyed showing you guys the pics and talking about it with you!

4. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

I guess what I am saying, is that sometimes I like the very original, unpolished scratched up watches with original bezels and other parts - there is something honest and down to earth about them - but $3.5k is still a lot of cash!

5. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

This was one of those moments, I saw this and couldn't stop thinking about it. If only they could talk.

image.jpg

6. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

Wow, my kind of watch - did you buy it?

Hal10000 likes this.
  7. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

Now I am having a change of heart... (!!)

8. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

Absolutely. Couple more pics.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    initialjh likes this.
  9. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

This is in very good untouched condition and was quite a bit more than the one you were looking at. Even though that one has character, for the money I would like a little less character ;)

10. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

Yes I agree. Yours is really a beauty, and with no pits on that case!

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 9, 2014

Yikes! I think the stories this one has to tell would keep me up all night. It probably howls in the night...

12. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

Hope your not talking about mine:eek:

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 9, 2014

I meant the Pit-i-Full one, not yours. Although, your bezel is somewhat...ghostly! ;)

14. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

:thumbsup: Phew

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

I think we have wandered away from the OP.

Buying a vintage speedmaster is always about compromise and desired use. As an investment, this watch is never going to keep up with the higher prices achieved by the fine condition ones. As a usable piece this is something I like. The overall look is pleasing and a service will solve many issues.

The corrosion is an issue, however I strongly feel this is reflected in the price. I consider the "median" (May not be the right word) price for a 105.003 at around $5500. If they are cheaper there is one or more issues influencing the price. If they are more, then condition or overall look is better than most.

I don't know of a better straight lug speedmaster on the market for less than $3500.

JohnSteed and flame like this.
  16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 9, 2014

I totally agree with everything you say except for one issue - your "median" price. I believe based on my following of sales for the past year or so that the price (for head only, as is the case with the OPs watch) is about 1000$ lower than your estimate. Moreover, in this specific case I think the pitting is the sort of damage that would deter a considerable number of buyers and therefore resale value would be lower. My 2c.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

ha! you may be right in thinking my price is on the high side.

one thing for sure, I don't think we will think it is higj in 12 months time.

18. g-boac Mar 9, 2014

My own course of action would be to walk. The pitting all the way around is worse than I thought; and the caseback has been polished smooth, and that is yet another attribute that makes a premoon Speedy a premoon. Also, the "double-bevel" two-step profile looks smoothened out as well with a less than clearly-defined step.

Don't forget that a number of parts internally appear to have been replaced already, and while there's nothing wrong with replacing a mechanical part, when looking at this watch, you have to question how worn other components may be.

All the faults and nits that we pointed out to you taken singularly shouldn't kill a deal or sink the price of a watch. But considered as a whole - and the "whole" here really is more than the sum of the parts - this one is worth walking from. I'd put a frank price of $2,000 on this as "can't miss", and a good risk to reward number.

JohnSteed likes this.
  19. JohnSteed Mar 9, 2014

::popcorn:: cool discussion. IMHO USD 3,500 may be an ok price for K-D-A's first example. Beauty will usually be in the eye of the beholder. But as usual with this forum, at least you know what you're in for, whether or not your emotions trump reason, which is part of the journey. Just know what you're comfortable with, I'd say, and know that comfort develops over time. Another wiser soul on this forum has said that learning can be expensive, but as long as you learn something.

Hey I'm confused by these hands and T swiss made T. What example is this please?

20. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

It is a very early 105.003-63