Forums Latest Members
  1. K-D-A Mar 8, 2014

Dear all,

I was just offered this omega speedmaster 105.003-65 for USD 3,500. It has pitting on the case, some fading in the dial, a scratched up bezel, and when I popped the back off, it looked like there were some new parts in the movement. But all these rough traits made it look on the whole quite attractive for the price. What do you guys think? Any opinions?

IMG_8349.jpg IMG_8352.jpg IMG_8348.jpg IMG_8347.jpg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 8, 2014

Based only on the inadequate photos, its a buy at that level.

Others may criticise, with foundation, the watch - but that is the answer to your question.

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. K-D-A Mar 8, 2014

Thank you for the feedback, I am not an expert watch collector or photographer, just looking for some advice... Here are two more pics.

IMG_8356.jpg IMG_8355.jpg
  4. K-D-A Mar 8, 2014

Any other observations would be very welcome thank you.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 8, 2014

Ah. Well you didn't ask.

Dial is attractive, but not in fine condition, and seems correct for the reference. There are splotches others will not like. As an overall look though, I accept it.
    Hands look commensurate and attractive, complimenting the rest of the watch

Bezel is correct but in poor condition. I accept it

Case is in good, not fine condition - its ok, not great

Pushers are wrong size, possibly crown too but I am less bothered by that.

Movement should be pulled up together (as will the pushers) after a full service, and the case will come up with a light polish - NOT REFINISH. (Polish = cleaning with cloths and fluids, NO metal removal)

I think it is a great usable watch - its had a hard life, but then it is a sports watch and will continue to serve.

For the money, as you asked, its a buy

Time Exposure, JohnSteed and marturx like this.
  6. K-D-A Mar 8, 2014

Thanks, I am very grateful for that. I have always wanted one of these, and I am not bothered about having an immaculate one (which you pay for), just one that I can keep and which looks rugged like this. One thing I didn't take a photo of is that there is a lot of pitting on the case, including around the pushers and crown. I have not seen pitting like it before, and will go back and have another look. But for 3.5 its probably a good price for what you get, as you say. Again, thanks for taking the time to make some observations. I am more familiar with old rolexes than omegas and dont really know what to look for.

7. richardew Mar 8, 2014

It's a great buy at $3500. The dial and bezel are a bit rough, but keep on the lookout as they do come up for sale from time to time. The case is also a bit rough, but you don't have to worry about picking up a nick wearing it. The movement looks good. The hands are nice. If it was in perfect condition it would cost twice that.
    7.3.13_14321s take 2.jpg

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 8, 2014

I love that it looks honest and not tarted up for resale to the shiny worshipers. Taken individually, yes the parts are fair, but it's a look that is appropriate. The price seems fair for the condition. Yes it would be nice to see the back and sides, but photographed as it sits on your wrist it looks good. If the case back is pitted and cursed with tool scratches, I would not be inclined to part with $3,5m but I'm already in the club :)

Northernman likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 8, 2014

A sensible post. Well one I agree with, so that makes it sensible!

10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 8, 2014

My biggest issue would be the pitting. I cant tell from the pictures, but is there pitting on the internal edge of the gasket seat? If this is extensive enough to compromise the integrity of the case I would pass. If o.k. I think this is a good buy. I would also figure in a service and finding a replacement bezel.

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 8, 2014

This is true. While you are not inclined to wear something like this in volatile areas (with potential for water intrusion, etc.), one should still be concerned with exposure to perspiration, humidity, etc.
    Bezel could look nice with a proper DON replacement, but it matches the whole watch as-is.

12. K-D-A Mar 8, 2014

Thanks everyone. I might have another look tomorrow and take some more pics of the pitting. I guess its the very fact that its a little rough and lived-in looking that attracts me to it, as long as it is original and the price that is being asked for it is fair for the condition - it would be easy to find a better example, but for better money. How does the movement look to people in particular? If I buy it, I would take it to omega for a movement/gasket only service.

13. K-D-A Mar 8, 2014

By the way, I didnt think the dial looked too bad, or the hands, no cracking on the edges of the dial by the indices.

14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 8, 2014

Don't take it to Omega. Find an independent and reliable watchmaker in your area and get it done at a fraction of the cost.
    If you let us know where you are located I am sure someone could recommend a watchmaker.

15. flame Speedmaster Neil Mar 8, 2014

Hi

These straight lugger Speedy's are on the move price wise....and that looks a nice honest example....Personally , I would have left the Jeweller's wearing it !

Best - Neil

richardew likes this.
  16. initialjh Mar 8, 2014

If you have doubts I'll take it off ya!

It's a nice 105003.

Bezel - faded and worn but it's the original. I'll keep it.

Hands - tritium, correct to the watch, keep

Dial - I'll accept it for the age of watch. keep it. replacement dials are just not the same

putting on the case? looks ok from your photos. Issue with these speedies, or vintage SS, is the humidity! doesn't look too bad.

Movement - pretty good nick. likely serviced. 24 mil serial number (1966-67) - this is a late 105003. I have seen 105003 with number as late as 26 mil and verified by Omega Vintage so i think that's ok.

Main thing is to have the watch serviced (by an independent watchmaker) and have gaskets replaced if required. Otherwise, at that price, it's a buy for me.

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 8, 2014

The watch seller's shop is open Sunday? That's a sign to buy it.
    Not really a sign, but I hope to see incoming photos soon!

18. g-boac Mar 8, 2014

I'd concur with everything, but also tell you that you would not be out of line offering $3000 - $3100, and buying for $3,200. Not $3,500. Because the watch will need a service (about $500), and it does have the wrong crown, pushers, and is missing it's original bracelet and end links (about $1,000).

Here's the thing: you wouldn't be ripped off at $3,500. . .but given the condition, need for a service, and crown/pushers. . .the closer you get the price to $3,000, the fairer the buy is for you (while still appropriate for the seller).

Finally, $2,800 would not be out of line given potential pitting in the seal area. Pitting will permanently zap the water resistance of a watch.

So, I think where you are is if the price is very fair to you, that would make a compelling case to buy. If it is not fair to you, remember, NOTHING says you need to buy THIS watch. There are plenty more 105.003s out there, and at some point, you'll find that price and condition meet to get you the watch you're supposed to own.

Good luck - with this, or the next one!!

19. K-D-A Mar 9, 2014

Here are the pics of the pitting I was talking about for your interest and advice.... What do you think? Looks like only on one side...

IMG_8365.jpg IMG_8361.jpg IMG_8380.jpg IMG_8372.jpg IMG_8373.jpg IMG_8370.jpg IMG_8369.jpg
  20. initialjh Mar 9, 2014

oh...

now that I've seen the pitting I think I will walk away. I thought it was slight pitting that we see inside the case under the case cover.

mmm... those putting can be filled in by a competent jeweller. I have seen laser welding to fill in those holes and the result pretty good. That case cover is quite worn isn't it?

A lot of money needs to be spent here - ie new crown, pusher, laser welding, movement service... if you send to Bienne I'm sure they can do all that and you'll be looking at 1/2 to 2/3 of your original cost of watch.

Given the current condition I would walk about unless you can get the price down. Pity as I do like the dial, hands and the bezel.

Any one else with input?

PS this is just my opinion. I am a junior member here...

luzer likes this.