Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Screw down crown not closing

1. Wez1 Dec 28, 2020

Hi guys, I have a ceramic seamaster Which I’ve owned since July, an amazing watch which I love and cherish, but today after winding and setting the time I tried to screw down the crown which isn’t screwing in at all. I even tried cleaning around the crown with a clean brush but the crown isn’t screwing in. Please can you advise me on what I can do to resolve this. Many thanks

2. abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

Take it to your authorized dealer or Omega Boutique before doing anything else. This could potentially be a sign of a very bad situation - the threads on the screw-down crown could be stripped.

Wez1 likes this.
  3. Huus Dec 29, 2020

Not uncommon for that to happen.

Wez1 likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2020

When you say ceramic Seamaster, do you mean a steel watch with ceramic bezel, or a model with the ceramic case?

The difference will be in the case tube material, so the steel model will have a steel case tube and crown, where the ceramic model uses titanium for those parts.

It sounds like the case tube is like stripped - the threads are typically on the inside of the tube and when they are stripped, they look like this:

[​IMG]

They should look like this:

[​IMG]

Omega will replace both the case tube and crown - should always replace both when there's thread damage IMO. Is this the first watch you have had with a screw down crown? Typically stripped threads are not a big problem on Omega watches, but it can happen if you are not careful threading the crown back on. If you are just getting used to thread crowns down, you can press down lightly to compress the spring inside the crown, turn the crown backwards until you feel the threads click, then screw the crown down - this can prevent cross threading. You also do not needs to crank the crown down really hard - this does nothing to add water resistance, and only increases the chances of crown damage.

Cheers, Al

phm14, YY77, vadimo and 6 others like this.
  5. Wez1 Dec 29, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I have the all ceramic sea master with titanium. I believe the case tube is stripped as suggested by Archer. I called my local omega ad, however they aren’t open until another two weeks or so because of the lockdown imposed. Fingers crossed

33D67604-BDDA-4218-B077-47F47B51C8D4.jpeg
  6. Wez1 Dec 29, 2020

This is my first Omega that I purchased, prior to this I’ve had a Rolex GMT Master ii which also has a screw down crown, so I’m not sure why this would happen nonetheless it has happened. This is my first time posting on the forum, and I’m really happy to be part of a community that help one another with their queries, thanks again guys for the prompt feedback.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  7. Y.M1619 Dec 30, 2020

So sorry to hear that, Wez1. I also own a ceramic and titanium seamaster(the nato strap variant). Would love to hear more updates. Best of luck!

Wez1 likes this.
  8. Omega D Aug 24, 2021

What happened?

9. Evitzee Aug 24, 2021

He hasn't been seen since Dec 31, 2020, so he's probably got it fixed and moved on.

10. Donn Chambers Aug 24, 2021

or he put it in a drawer, forgot about it, and in 50 years someone else will post in the Vintage Forum, “I was just looking through my father’s things and found this old Omega. Is it real? How much is it worth?”

;)

Bugbait likes this.
  11. Evitzee Aug 24, 2021

I was trying to project a more positive outcome for the OP's watch but, yes, there is a good chance he was not motivated, or didn't want to spend the money, to fix the watch. I think we all know such people.

12. Wez1 Oct 5, 2021

Hi guys,

due to personal circumstances I have been unable to get round to getting the issue sorted. I genuinely just found the watch in my watch roll after months , however I am going to contact my local Omega AD and hopefully get a resolution in the near future. Will keep you guys posted.

vadimo likes this.