Forums Latest Members

60-70ies Seamaster screw-down crown - understand concept of water proofness

1. jgd Mar 18, 2023

Hi all! Great to be a this wonderful place of watch enthisiasts!
    I'm trying to understand in detail the waterproofness concept of the screw-down crown from the 60-70ies as found on many Seamaster models, e.g. 166.088 or 166.024. (Part number 069ST42062). This is what I'm talking about:
    Beispiel Foto.png

Of course I could tear down this one to see myself... eehm well better not.

So, how many o-rings does the crown have? Are these even o-rings? Do the o-rings go around the shaft of the tube or at the end face or both? Here's a sketch to visualise my thoughts. I hope there's an expert on the forum who can guide me in the right direction!
    Skizze.jpg

Thanks a lot & a great day to you all!
    J

Mark020 and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  2. Omegafanman Mar 19, 2023

3. Omegafanman Mar 19, 2023

4. Omegafanman Mar 19, 2023

A bit more drift but one for luck....
    Perregaux & Perret Patent ....

Perregaux & Perret Patent .jpg
  5. Dan S Mar 19, 2023

As noted above, several systems have been employed over the years, but I don't think that the Proprof or the naiad crown system are the most typical designs you will find on a vintage Omega. If you look inside a crown, you will see that there is typically a seal (o-ring) that fits around the tube, and this is true for both screw-down and non-screw-down crowns. One benefit of the screw-down crown is that it can't be rotated accidentally while underwater, which eliminates one source of water intrusion.

TDBK and Omegafanman like this.
  6. jgd Mar 19, 2023

Thank you all very much for the input! Indeed I have seen a few of the links before, but never found something specific about that typical 60ies Seamaster screw-down crown…

I guess it probably is as @Dan S is proposing: o-ring that goes around the tube.

One question is still, if the o-ring is squeezed in some way when screwed down. And if yes, then how exactly.

Maybe we will still find the answer!

7. jgd Mar 19, 2023

Thanks @Omegafanman for the Ploprof link. This one seems to have two o-rings, and the smaller one supposedly goes on the step and squeezes in there. While the larger one goes around the the diameter.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2023

The O-ring is not compressed any more or less by the crown being screwed down or not.

ChrisN, jgd and Omegafanman like this.
  9. jgd Mar 20, 2023

Thank you very much for the clarification!