Omega Seamaster 60 ref. 166.062 - "Seamaster" font

Posts
30
Likes
11
I come back to this 3d to share the pictures after finally closing the research of the parts for my SM60 Deep Blue and to share the one I bought for my daugher to complete a small set. For the Lady one I already have found the bezel and the hands that I need to replace. The restoration will start very soon. Thak to all of you for the details and precious information I could use to do all my research. I also have two SS bracelets for the 166.062 (1198 and 1125) and one 5725 for the 566.024.. I also have found the correct endlinks for each one.

a small correction the bracelet is not 1198 but 1098 w/t 540 endlinks
 
Posts
30
Likes
11
Hi guys.. Here to give an update.. this thing with SM60 is going out of rail....... now a new one is coming. Burgundy.. So I have the fullset: both blue and burgundy 166.062 and both blue and burgundy 566.024. I brought all of them to my trustworthy watchmaker to check them and this one needs service as it has a problem in the automatic charging mechanism. But I'm very happy. A question for the experts: I have seen a few blacka dialed ones... but as far as I know (also from Omega official website) the model was done only deep blue and burgundy.. Is the black an original version or a modfied one?

 
Posts
3,409
Likes
6,590
Hi guys.. Here to give an update.. this thing with SM60 is going out of rail....... now a new one is coming. Burgundy.. So I have the fullset: both blue and burgundy 166.062 and both blue and burgundy 566.024. I brought all of them to my trustworthy watchmaker to check them and this one needs service as it has a problem in the automatic charging mechanism. But I'm very happy. A question for the experts: I have seen a few blacka dialed ones... but as far as I know (also from Omega official website) the model was done only deep blue and burgundy.. Is the black an original version or a modfied one?

There are no black versions, is either a blue that looks black on certain lighting or the dial was repainted
 
Posts
30
Likes
11
Thank you for your reply.. As I thought the black ones are not original or deep blue that seems black. BUT. I've seen more than a few on sale on the last year.. mostly from Eastern Europe (mostly turkish sellers). And in the pictures I've seen that they are really black. They report the watch as "refurbished with aftermarket parts" that means "we did it black as the correct blue was impossible to reproduce".. Then I spoke with an old watchmaker that said that the black dial was not original but also at the time people was repainting the dial black and replacing the bezel inser with a black one from other brands (as this insert was very common). So the question is: Do you think I should have in my collection also a black modified one? Honestly the idea of having a set of five in this box intrigues me...........
 
Posts
30
Likes
11
I forgot to add this other small guy (566.024 blue) to the story that is now part of the story.. so now as I said I have all 4.

 
Posts
30
Likes
11
During my research I had to buy and sell a few sm60 to fund my restoration. I had the luck to find beautiful undervaluated watches like this that I could sell for far more than I paid to get them.This one is possibly the one I liked the most. beautiful bezel and dial.. the glass was original but with few scratches. Only thing the bezel was stuck I preferred to not move it before selling it. what do you think?

 
Posts
3,409
Likes
6,590
Thank you for your reply.. As I thought the black ones are not original or deep blue that seems black. BUT. I've seen more than a few on sale on the last year.. mostly from Eastern Europe (mostly turkish sellers). And in the pictures I've seen that they are really black. They report the watch as "refurbished with aftermarket parts" that means "we did it black as the correct blue was impossible to reproduce".. Then I spoke with an old watchmaker that said that the black dial was not original but also at the time people was repainting the dial black and replacing the bezel inser with a black one from other brands (as this insert was very common). So the question is: Do you think I should have in my collection also a black modified one? Honestly the idea of having a set of five in this box intrigues me...........
If the black is not a genuine color would not buy it in my case. Would like to add the burgundy at some point, for now happy with mine, which happens to have the chronometer movement ( had a non quickset 561 movement when bought it, sourced the 564 version and had it fully serviced and replaced the date wheel. ) 😊