Omega Seamaster 351 / 2520 around 1951

Hello,
I just discovered this old watch on my late grandparents attic and it still works. Sadly it is way too small for my wrist so I am thinking about selling it in order to fund a new seamaster diver. Depending on how much I can get I might also refrain from selling it though.
The glas should be replaced and I don't have the paperwork nor box.
Maybe some of you could help me estimate its worth?
Best regards,
Philipp

Your watch has double reference numbers 2577 and 2520.
Because it is powered by a non chronometer 351, it should be considered as a 2577.
The value of a watch like that with personalization on back is about $850 usd.

Strange what people store in their attics.

Considering the fact that you just discovered this watch, you already know a lot about it ... Respect!

If you do a search on Google, you will definitely find out something about the usual prices, at least for watches with a matching dial and intact crown. This watch needs both.

I know it's not exactly an appraisal for the OP but if that was my grandparents watch celebrating their 10th anniversary I would simply have it serviced and hold onto it. aside from it being a gorgeous example it's got all kinds of family history attached to it.

Strange what people store in their attics.

Considering the fact that you just discovered this watch, you already know a lot about it ... Respect!

If you do a search on Google, you will definitely find out something about the usual prices, at least for watches with a matching dial and intact crown. This watch needs both.
It's probably me misunderstanding but, are you saying that the dial is not correct?

Cheers, Chris

It's probably me misunderstanding but, are you saying that the dial is not correct?

Cheers, Chris

I think it is a service dial (likely from the 1960s). Not correct?

It's not the "Seamaster" font, it's the dial design, which is uncommon for an early 1950s watch, but very typical of watches from the 60s or 70s.

For this reference, I would expect a dial at least similar to this:

e7382391-e72e-43f6-90b1-6179f0f1d063.jpg

Could be. There were a lot of dial variations in the fifties but, I take your point that the dial is similar in layout to a 550 series. Difficult to know for sure but, it surprises me that they used some mid fifties fonts with a sixties layout.

I am more surprised that @hoipolloi didn't mention that as he can normally spot that sort of thing before it is this side of the horizon.😁

Cheers, Chris

There are lume dots at the markers and the dial doesn't have the "T" signs, so I believe the dial belongs to the early 1960s (up to 1963 production).

well with the circumstances that the OP owns the watch it probably doesn't "need" a dial or crown. the thing is "as found" and an heirloom so I still think a simple service would make the watch usable part-time and keep it's history intact if that's the road he chooses. chances are the crown wear took place while his grandfather used the watch and if the dial was updated that's also part of it's history. however if he chose to sell it off I still think the dial and crown won't matter that much as well. it's a very good looking authentic example.

I know it's not exactly an appraisal for the OP but if that was my grandparents watch celebrating their 10th anniversary I would simply have it serviced and hold onto it. aside from it being a gorgeous example it's got all kinds of family history attached to it.

Its actually just a watch my grandfather got from a captain he served for ten years. I get what you are talking about, but sadly I am not much of a sentimental guy.

Its actually just a watch my grandfather got from a captain he served for ten years. I get what you are talking about, but sadly I am not much of a sentimental guy.

in that case blow the piece of junk out. i'll give ya a three hunnerd two ninety five for it any day 😁

in that case blow the piece of junk out. i'll give ya a three hunnerd two ninety five for it any day 😁
I just wanted to know its estimate value, not looking for offers. 😉

1950 serial...

1964 engraving...

Non hanger sea master...

A little odd....

That is exactly what the service dials looked like, as I had inquired into such a thing for a 353-based Seamaster.

Tom

My initial impression was/is service dial as well, they just have a certain look. Mainly they have bonded (for lack of a better term) rather than applied indices.

"Zusammenarbeit"? Never heard it called that before! (Might start using that though...)
😁