Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 1948..any in the wild yet?

1. usasuisse Apr 12, 2019

The center seconds 1948 was offered in the St. Louis Boutique yesterday.

UTKSA and Riviera Paradise like this.
  2. Jerseyhammer Apr 12, 2019

Haven’t seen any in GB yet !

3. Riviera Paradise Apr 12, 2019

No, but I have been involved in several discrete manufacturing industries helping improve engineering->planning->production flows and I have been involved in several CAD/CAM projects in the past. I am currently working with PLM. I honestly don't know why you should assume that I (or anyone else) would think it is "easy" to specify, procure, install, test and adjust a production line.

Omega are repeat offenders in not meeting LE estimated target deliveries, that is a fact.

Having such a massive SKU range of product configurations to manufacture is certainly a challenge, However, they are positioning themselves as a luxury brand, so clearly they need to find a solution for their LE launches which have a higher level visibility and customer expectation.

Luckily for them their main "crown" competitor "can't deliver shit" (Ben Clymer quote) at the moment, so I imagine that the overall brand impact is not that significant.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2019

Well, because you keep saying they are serial offenders and appear to be saying it should be solved now...like right now!

As I've tried my best to illustrate, these things take time, but you keep insist on hammering them for missing multiple targets in the past, and appear to be ignoring what they say they are doing...

CAD and CAM are simply tools used to produce things - they are not really a project in and of themselves, unless the company hasn't moved past the 1980's...

Yes indeed - you have said this before...and seem to want to continue hammering this point as I've noted.

As I've already quoted from their annual report, they are addressing it and it should be done by the middle of the current reporting period, but apparently that's not good enough for some. Have fun beating up on Omega...first world problems for sure...

Cheers, Al

5. Riviera Paradise Apr 12, 2019

Really Al, you think I would not be aware that CAD/CAM are just tools/applications (and did you read "in the past"?), especially as someone who has been involved in complex PLM implementation projects spanning requirements management, simulation, conceptual design, production design, complex procurement/VFI management, MPP/MES and post delivery / MRO?

No, to be honest the fun I am having is seeing you defend Omega so vigorously;):)

But I agree with you that it is good to know that they are tacking action to sort things out and thanks for pointing out that specific section in their annual report.

Cheers,

- RP

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2019

I have no idea what you do or do not know. But referring to it as a "project" is odd unless you were buying the software and getting it up and running at a company, which is an IT function typically...

Omega doesn't need me to defend them, but it's clear some won't ever be satisfied.

It does amuse me that there is so much bitching on forums with regards to delivery dates. These are not life saving medications, as I pointed out to one guy who was going on incessantly about the delivery timing of his Hodonkee LE watch. These are luxury toys, and having a delay in getting it isn't going to materially change anyone's life, unless they bought it on credit intending to flip it for a profit, and can't make the payments.
    If you know that "Omega are repeat offenders in not meeting LE estimated target deliveries" as you clearly do, and you still went ahead with a purchase anyway, then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you to be honest.

In this world where people are so anxious to one up each other on Instagram or whatever, delayed gratification is a thing of the past. And we all wonder why kids are spoiled rotten these days...

Eve, sensui and 8100_RPM like this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Apr 12, 2019

Al...oh dear. I did not buy the 1948 LE and I have had no issues with delivery dates for either of my two Speedy LEs. I was just offering my 2Cs as to what might have gone wrong with the 1948. I agree with you that luxury toy delays do not warrant huge amounts of online rage...but Omega clearly have been dropping the ball in the past and it is good to know that they are addressing these problems.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2019

So it's just a pile on. Okay no worries. ;)

9. Riviera Paradise Apr 12, 2019

I would prefer to call it constructive feedback for the boys and gals at Omega:D

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2019

If you actually sent it to them, I would agree with you...:whistling:

11. starcraft Apr 12, 2019

Will they make all AD's or will it be capital cities only? Would love to try one on.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 12, 2019

As a potential purchaser of new releases, I figure delivery for LEs will be a year out, and if they beat it by a few months I will be pleasantly surprised. The #STs and Trilogy followed this pattern, which I had already seen in my brief time in the Omega world (complaints about watches ordered at a Bazel release, which were not delivered until right around the next one). The one exception I have seen was the #PCA, which arrived in only a few short months; but there wasn't much special about that one.

i saw some comments above about Omega missing 'deadlines'. I do not think they actually have deadlines. More like they have target dates. That are never possible for them to meet.

As a buyer, you can choose to get pissed, or accept that it will typically be a year. Noth that either choice is all that great, but it does reflect reality.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  13. Ade29 Apr 13, 2019

14. Ade29 Apr 13, 2019

This is not life saving medicine or that i will be without a watch until this one is delivered. And delay isn’t the issue—Omega is entitled to have something take longer than initially projected. To me its just about saying “there is a delay we expect these watches to be delivered in approximately __ months. If that changes we will update you.” Thats all. Happy customers , happy shareholders.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  15. Riviera Paradise Apr 13, 2019

You are right, target dates is a more appropriate phrase. I was referring to Omega's internal production deadlines, which could be by quarter. I did not mean a specific date, but I agree my choice of words was misleading.

16. Ec1aaa Apr 16, 2019

I heard today that the OB I had been waiting on in London received their first 1948 central seconds on Friday, and whichever lucky person was first on the list has been called and told their watch has arrived. They haven’t been told how many more will be coming their way as yet. So slowly making an appearance!

UTKSA, Ade29 and Goldy like this.
  17. SpeedyD Apr 21, 2019

Whatever you call the delay - Three facts are clear:

- Omega missed ths 70th anniversary.
    - It is over a year since they announced them at BW 2018.
    - Information updates to ADs and therefore paying customers have been poor.

These factors must be an embarrassment and regardless of defending Omega or whatever their annual report. It is not great.

Ultimately the sales figures will tell if they get away with it. In the meantime punters like myself who have actually put money down against a previously set expectation have a right to moan. They are making a watch, one with very little ‘new’ features So it can’t and should not be that hard to get right. They are not making anything overly ground breaking or innovative here. I’m speculating here , but I’d guess that business reality is that fixing those issues is likely not their highest priority. If it was they could have sorted it by now surely. Probably based on the fact that uptakes has no been off the charts and that the community reaction has been mixed (case back controversy).

My deposit will likely go towards another watch if something more interesting comes along soon. Omega won’t care or notice. They won’t learn unless there is a critical mass that leaves them on the shelves. But at the end of the day though these are just watches. So not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

If they do eventually arrive I’m sure they’ll be great.

Edited Apr 21, 2019
    Ec1aaa, UTKSA, Goldy and 3 others like this.
  18. AntonisCy Apr 21, 2019

I have seen someone posting a platinum model in one of the facebook groups a few minutes ago!

19. ioaniro Apr 21, 2019

The platinum I saw it in the OB quite a while ago. I'm betting is still there with the price it has. Is only the steel version that's delayed for some reason.

AntonisCy likes this.
  20. 8100_RPM Apr 24, 2019

I just received an email from Omega saying that the 511.13.38.20.02.001 (central seconds hand) is in stock. Sure enough, it is available for purchase on the U.S. website for $6,400.

llvhhui likes this.