Forums Latest Members

Anyone see the Seamaster Aqua Terra Ultra Light in the wild yet?

1. elliptic Apr 7, 2020

Dear friends on the forum,

When the Seamaster Aqua Terra Ultra Light was announced, I was very excited. I thought it was a cool watch with quite a few impressive advances (or at least changes).

Of course I will not be able to afford the watch. That applies to many watches, and at this stage of my life, I am very happy to appreciate something from afar.

So my question is: has anyone got the chance to see or try on the Ultra Light yet? How does it actually wear? Is it as impressive in person as in photos?
    8C97A1ED-8F1D-4E09-9A36-0BEEC88218C6.jpeg

Edited by a mod Sep 25, 2020
    ama98 likes this.
  2. lillatroll Apr 7, 2020

At 48k I would imagine that there are a lot of watches that would jump the queue over this one. Even If you had so much money that it would not be an issue, I still think most people would opt for something else. I know the aqua terre is marketed as a sports watch but a chicken marketing itself as a penguin is still a chicken. This watch is a chicken. I don't think there would be many sold to be seen in the wild.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  3. elliptic Apr 7, 2020

Yeah...I agree...That's really a pity...But I was hoping maybe at least someone would go to the boutique and try it on...Just to see how it feels...

4. Amg786s Apr 12, 2020

It's a gorgeous looking watch, but the price tag is astronomical. Would you consider it if you had the cash?

5. MTROIS Apr 12, 2020

Not seen one in the flesh yet.
    I was just perusing Chrono24 a few minutes ago and it seemed that a German retailer had them for 39k...

6. elliptic Apr 12, 2020

For sure I would consider it. In my humble opinion, it is much more interesting then many other models in the same price range. Of course, I do not expect this watch to hold the re-sale value very well. But so far all my watches have been keepers.

If I had the cash, I would definitely consider this watch.

jyles_baldemor likes this.
  7. elliptic Apr 12, 2020

Haha yeah. I just took a look. Actually quite a few of them from Germany. This is a stereotype, but maybe the engineering-minded appreciate this watch more than the art-minded do :p

8. orlis Apr 12, 2020

I bet not even 1 piece has been sold...;)

9. hanky6 Apr 12, 2020

No pictures:(

Syrte likes this.
  10. MTROIS Apr 12, 2020

Yeah... would not be surprised... but I don't think the intent was to sell a gazillion of these. More a "concept watch" for Omega, I feel.

11. orlis Apr 12, 2020

I agree, but I really like what they did with ultra deep PO, not available for purchase but impressive. Could done the same thing but putting this ridiculous price tag on it makes it....ridiculous :)

12. T3F May 3, 2020

I think it's an interesting watch and a cool concept. The Swiss watch industry is pretty light (pun not intended) on lightweight, thin watches that can take a beating. It surprises me that more haven't gone in this direction given those attributes are part of why RM is popular despite the watches being pretty uncomplicated -- people are willing to pay tourbillon money for time-only watches, but in return, they're lightweight, use interesting materials, and are quite robust.

I would definitely buy one for $10k and I'd consider it up to $20k, but close to $50k for these is a bit crazy, IMO. If they're going to price them that high, I think they maybe should've framed them as concept watches that they've decided to release in extremely limited quantities -- if they'd done this, I think a few really serious collectors might've been convinced to pull the trigger. Conversely, they could've made these more unique and done more with the design. Given they went through all of the trouble to develop so much new technology for this watch, it's a bit underwhelming that they ultimately decided to case it in a way such that it is nearly indiscernible from the rest of the Aqua Terra line that costs 1/10th as much. As it stands, I wouldn't be shocked if they haven't sold a single one, and I'd be absolutely stunned if they've sold more than 10.

I"m sure they'll do more with the technology and movement they developed for this watch at a more reasonable price point, and I'm looking forward to those versions. As much as I like the current iteration, the $50k I'd need to fork over for this could get me a lot more watch elsewhere.

13. Dan S May 3, 2020

Trust me, you don't want to see a photo. ::puke::

Just picture a gray washboard.

hanky6 likes this.
  14. Pun May 3, 2020

Or you'd look at a gold Patek Philippe Annual Calendar watch?

WatchCor likes this.
  15. omar10213245 May 3, 2020

i'm not really all that impressed. and of course, the price tag is absurd.

16. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 3, 2020

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2020

From that article...

"the new Master Chronometer calibre 8928 features titanium bridges and main plate, which means that, in addition to the reduced weight, there’s less friction between the components and it gives the movement this special dark grey colour."

Less friction? If the pivots of the wheels are riding in jewels that are mounted in titanium, brass, German silver, etc., the amount of friction stays the same.

hanky6 and Eve like this.
  18. WatchCor May 4, 2020

For a moment there I was slightly vexed at the lack of photos in this thread but I did open that monochrome link and now I fully support @Dan S in saying: ::puke::. This thread does not get better with photos.

My jolly gosh what a watch ::facepalm2:: and only for 48k €

19. Dan S May 4, 2020

My only thought is that perhaps this is a reference to Amonton's law, which seems misplaced, since I doubt that the normal force has very much to do with the weight of the wheels in this case.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2020

But the wheels are the same, at least it only indicates that the plates and bridges are Ti...