Forums Latest Members

Omega Pocket Watch dark grey case material

1. Mosore May 9, 2024

Hello everybody.
    I just bought the pocket watch.
    Can somebody tell me the case material?
    It is dark grey with golden parts like the bezel and the crown.

image.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 9, 2024

Possibly just gunmetal, or possibly Niello, but without more photos of the other parts of the watch it's hard to say.

3. Mosore May 9, 2024

image.jpg image.jpg
    Thanks for replying.
    Here are more photos.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 9, 2024

It appears to be a gun metal cased omega dating to around 1916. It's missing the back cover though and the dial is less than pristine.
    Movement is a variant of the caliber 19''', the famous "Omega" movement and it looks to be in reasonable condition.

5. Canuck May 9, 2024

On cases like this, with gold plating (yellow or rose gold colour), either gun metal (yours, or coin silver), the plating is called gallone. The definitions I have read for gallone describe it as being a braided trim with gold thread as often displayed on ceremonial uniforms.

6. Mosore May 9, 2024

Thank you again for your reply and all the great information.
    I knew of the defects before buying.
    It is ticking but not evenly. Winding is not smooth, and it only goes 8 hours from winding.
    I am looking forward to clean and oil the movement and hopefully make it go better. And maybe change the mainspring.
    The dial has enamel repairs which has skin-like wrinkels. Maybe I can smooth it somehow.
    And the back cover…..I will try to find a replacement, but I suspect it will be difficult.

7. Mosore May 9, 2024

OK thanks thats also great information, I will try to look into it.