Forums Latest Members

Omega have done something weird to my Speedy.

1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 19, 2019

x2. Bezel and case were screwed up. So much for a 'free service'.

mblease and kkt like this.
  2. kkt Dec 20, 2019

This is how Omega service has the reputation it does! Polishing when the customer asked them not to, and marking it up besides. And just hoping the customer won't notice instead of owning up to it voluntarily.

Mac5 and mblease like this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 20, 2019

I think it’s more the aroma of HS ... a subtle difference (that still reeks of S) :D Also...polished case... :whipped::whipped::whipped::whipped: I would want a new one. But that’s just me...

kkt and mblease like this.
  4. mblease Dec 20, 2019

That’s exactly what I’m pushing for. Why polish a case that is six months old? More to the point why polish it badly. I’m hopeful that omega come through on this. In the meantime, it’s been said time and time again but be wary of sending your watches direct to omega for a service. You may get more than you bargained for.

DaveK likes this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 20, 2019

upload_2019-12-21_0-58-38.jpeg

(But fully agreed. Hope it works out for you, and sorry you are having such a hard time with this :thumbsdown:)

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2019

Exactly.

mblease, kkt and Foo2rama like this.
  7. TheDuke1979 Dec 29, 2019

Looking at the before and after shots, they seem to have really gone to town with the polishing between the pushers. I would be pretty angry about that also.

8. mjb Dec 30, 2019

I almost felt like I was reading a post on the Rolex Forum with all of the anti-polishing hysterics. However they phrased the "heat" issue, I'm sure it was caused by polishing and yet they 'fessed up to it and are offering to make it right. So I call that a win.

Yes, it sucks to be without it for so long, but hopefully it will all be right in the end. They'll probably polish it again just to make sure it looks good.

I'm currently waiting for my watch to be returned from the OSC (I received a "shipped" email but haven't see it yet) so stories like this are not helping my stomach lining.

9. Badwolf Dec 30, 2019

Replacement watch is the only solution. The damage has been done.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2019

Some people don't want their watches polished, so if they ask for that, their wishes should be accommodated. There's nothing hysterical about that...it's just good customer service.

flw, noelekal, KingCrouchy and 6 others like this.
  11. mjb Dec 30, 2019

I think, and I could be wrong (it's happened before, often) that the OP said "don't replace the case, leave it as is" and some people are interpreting that to mean "don't polish" whereas - AFAIK - he never told them that. And if I were the repair person, and I saw a case that was dinged and scratched, I would certainly polish it, regardless of how old it is. Plus, they don't know how old it is...

Also, if all of this was being communicated via the AD, then that leaves all kinds of things open to interpretation and miscommunication.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2019

Then I'm very glad you are not a watchmaker. My default is not to polish unless I'm asked to - I don't make that decision on behalf of my customers.

13. Evitzee Dec 30, 2019

OP told them to "leave the case as is". That means no polishing. Instructing the AD should be sufficient and should not lead to reinterpretation by service center.

14. mjb Dec 31, 2019

Well, as usual, I'm not communicating well. My apologies.

I was not trying to defend the tech or Omega, but trying to give my perspective on why this may have happened. I'll also suggest, if I may, that those of us here, enthusiasts, WIS, collectors, etc. are far beyond the average watch owner in our attention to detail and obsession over marks, scratches, etc. and of course, unnecessary polishing.

With that in mind, I'll propose that as a matter of course, standard business practice, that most manufacturer service centers will polish the case and bracelet as a standard procedure with any repair or service, unless instructed otherwise. Because that's what most people expect.

Now, whether or not the OP's request to not polish was understood, translated, communicated and transmitted to the technician at the OSC is something that we'll probably never know.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2019

Did you read the first post?

"This Speedy was bought as a daily wearer in order to keep my vintage pieces safe from daily knocks so I said to go ahead with the glass replacement and service and that I could live with the dings, adds character and all that."

I think it's pretty clear that Omega didn't follow his instructions.

It's also standard practice that if the customer requests that the watch not be polished, they don't polish it. In this case, they didn't do as was requested. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here, but to describe this as "hysteria" when it's a clear case of customer service failure is over the top.

16. mjb Dec 31, 2019

Yes, I read all of the posts, including your replies.

And really, that's what I'm trying to communicate (and obviously failing at) is that the OP told the AD not to polish it, and I'm suggesting that the fault may lie with the AD failing to tell that to the service center.

It seems to me that everyone wants to pile on the service center, and I was trying to propose that maybe it's not entirely their fault?

In hindsight, I'm not sure why I bothered. I'm apparently angering you Al, and that certainly was not my intent.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2019

I'm not angry. As for who's at fault - to the customer that doesn't matter. The AD is the face of Omega to the customers who go through AD's, so no matter who failed, this was a failure of customer service for Omega rather than hysteria.

18. mblease Jan 22, 2020

A little update on this as of a few minutes ago.

I've been speaking to with the head of customer services at Omega UK. They told me that the damage to the bezel was caused by a mistaken new employee using the ultrasonic tank to clean. They are replacing this free of charge.

The polishing to the case which many of you have picked up on is another story. My asking the AD to leave the case as is and just to replace the hesalite seems to not have been relayed to Omega, who took it upon themselves to carry out a FULL service on my watch. Something that they are very keen to stress is above and beyond normal customer service and something I should be thankful for. Which, if it wasn't for the rounding of the corners on my case I would be.

It's all ongoing, they are now speaking with the AD. Just thought worthy of an update.

I sent these images to Omega to show the areas I'm not happy with.

Speedmaster_01.jpg Speedmaster_02.jpg
  19. mblease Jan 22, 2020

Annnnnnnd....

A couple of minutes after posing the above (and sending those shots) I got an email from them. They are replacing the midcase. It will be engraved with the original serial number.

Really happy to have this resolved.

Moral of the story; don't drop your speedy on a bathroom floor. If you do, be REALLY clear about how you want the repair to be carried out.

noelekal, kkt, Sidnos and 7 others like this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 22, 2020

Get them to put a 3861 in it whilst they are at it :whistling: