Forums Latest Members

Omega have done something weird to my Speedy.

1. mblease Dec 18, 2019

Hello OF

Omega have done something weird to my Speedy.

In October I dropped my 2019 Speedy Pro on a tiled bathroom floor. Needless to say damage was done and I shed a tear or two, or three. A big crack on the hesalite, slightly dented bezel and case, and the worry of a damaged movement. I dropped it into my AD where I'd made the original purchase earlier in the year and off it was sent to Omega for a quote to repair.

After a few weeks I had a call to say that Omega would replace the glass and do a movement service for free! However to replace the mid case it would be approx £1500 (from what I can remember) This Speedy was bought as a daily wearer in order to keep my vintage pieces safe from daily knocks so I said to go ahead with the glass replacement and service and that I could live with the dings, adds character and all that.

I was pretty over the moon to get call today to say it was ready for collection. All looked great in the AD watch was presented with plastic film over the hesalite etc, other than the dings it looked good as new, I couldn't believe that they replaced the cracked hesalite and did a service for free, considering it was my fault for dropping it in the first place.

However... I've just noticed that the bezel is now has a weird mark on the Tachymetre insert from 350-250. Almost looks faded/bleached out? It wasn't like this when I sent it (see photo below) so I have no idea what's happened to cause it. I've had a go at giving it a gentle wipe with a lint free cloth but it's not dirt or grime. I'm hoping some of you guys could chip in and suggest what make next move is.

Before and after photos here:

IMG_1752.jpeg IMG_3133.jpeg
  2. Mad Cow Dec 18, 2019

Maybe something has dropped on it to bleach along the way. Bring him back to the shop and see what happens.

mblease likes this.
  3. WatchCor Dec 18, 2019

Indeed , very odd looking. Can't fathom what has caused that. Did they polish the plexi after replacing it? Maybe a polishing wheel ? Why would they use any chemicals on it? I dont know.:thumbsdown:

I second @Mad Cow ,take it in again and see what they say.

mblease likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 18, 2019

Ghost bezel! Some folks pay a premium for that!

mrchen, Meme-Dweller, Uniqez and 12 others like this.
  5. mblease Dec 18, 2019

Ha! I did try and tell myself that for a minute or two.

6. Screwbacks Dec 18, 2019

It's proximate to the damage on the glass. Bezel could have been hit also. That was a strong drop indeed. So the machine should also need some servicing as there could be invisible loose ends. Enjoy.

7. mblease Dec 18, 2019

I’m going to take it in this afternoon and see why they say. Really hope I don’t have to wait another three months if it get sent away again!

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 18, 2019

This is why none of the Apollo missions had tiled bathroom floors

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 18, 2019

Let me guess : carpets ...

:eek::eek:::puke::

spin_transistor, Tony, yande and 2 others like this.
  10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 18, 2019

Eww, there is nothing worse than that

JwRosenthal and mblease like this.
  11. Davidt Dec 18, 2019

The fact that it’s in the exact location as the damage to the hesalite suggests that it’s likely linked to that imo.

connieseamaster likes this.
  12. mblease Dec 18, 2019

Definitely linked, but no idea why it looks like that now where as it looked totally normal after impact. The whole bezel insert appears to have a Matt finish now, very odd.

13. mblease Dec 18, 2019

Here's a very serious technical annotated photo to highlight said ghosting.

Ghosting.jpg
  14. CPRwatch Dec 18, 2019

Very spooky speedy

Meme-Dweller and mblease like this.
  15. Martin_F Dec 18, 2019

You mentioned that the bezel was dented, has that been fixed? Maybe the insert in the bezel shifted or somehow came loose?
    Or, if the bezel was bent up a little in that area, when they replaced the crystal, maybe there was some interference in any of the fixtures they used, that rubbed some of the paint off?

mblease likes this.
  16. mblease Dec 18, 2019

The bezel was dented but on the opposite side of the watch to the cracked plexi. They didn't repair this as there would've been a cost and I decided it was something I could live with.

When it was sent to Omega the bezel looked as it did when I bought it ealier in the year, deep black and shiny. Now it's flat matt black with faded bits. ::confused2::

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 18, 2019

It’s what happens if you polish the watch with the bezel on and hit the bezel.

noelekal, Spacefruit, MtnBkr and 7 others like this.
  18. mblease Dec 18, 2019

Sounds like a schoolboy error. Surely they know what they’re doing!?

19. MCC Dec 18, 2019

Looks like it has had an accident with a polishing wheel to me.

20. Evitzee Dec 18, 2019

Why would you assume that? Plenty of people working on these watches who don't have the skill or training to do it correctly. This should have been caught at final inspection, but it wasn't.