Omega Geneve History Guide

Dear All

I‘m new to the forum, so please forgive me if I‘m doing something wrong… i‘m happy to learn!
I did not find an existing thread on this toppic, so I assume it‘s a beginner‘s question and might be boring… nevertheless, I‘d be very happy to get some answers from all you experts!

I am trying to understand the History behind the Omega Geneve Line, particularly until when they were actually assembled in Geneva and still considered a more „worthy“ watch?
I got as much as that they started placing the name on random watches after 1967 with the same movement like the seamaster but different cases to make an entry line, so is all before that higher quality?

Some Info: I am about to finish my bachelor‘s degree here in Geneva, and as I‘m into vintage watches but have no money (currently i have one very beautiful mido, but that‘s all) my dad would like to gift me an Omega Geneve, as a reminder of my time here in this city. Therefore, I would want one that wasn‘t actually assembled here.

thank you all very much!
Best, Gian
Edited:

Welcome to the forum. I summarized in this way:

The Genève line was introduced in 1952 (some say '53), and, with the exception of the very low production Chronometres, sat at the top of OMEGA's model line of hand-wind watches throughout the 1950s. The cases featured elegantly chamfered lugs, and the indexes were made of gold. The 30mm movements, while no different from those used in other models of the period, had achieved notable success in the Geneva Observatory Trials (along with Neuchâtel, and others). In 1945 an early version won first prize, which was followed by other awards and records set during the 1950s. So, Omega chose to use Genève as a reference to those successes, and obviously applied the name to a high-end model.

They are, to my mind, a quintessentially understated yet elegant model, reflecting both the quality of Omega and ethos of the period very well.

on this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-geneve-and-their-collectibility.105399/

You can view many early examples on this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-old-genéve´s-lets-see-them.59067/

Welcome to the forum. I summarized in this way:

on this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-geneve-and-their-collectibility.105399/

You can view many early examples on this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-old-genéve´s-lets-see-them.59067/

Dear Tony

thank you for the reply and summary! These early models you showcase in the thread are beauties indeed. As my Mido is already a classic and simple shape, I was more looking into the 60‘s models with a black dial and metal straps, to have some balance in my (small, haha) collection.

I found this one online, selling for around 1000 chf. The seller claims it’s from the 60ies, so theoretically still assembled in Geneva. Is this an appropriate price or overpriced?

thank you for the welcome to the forum, i am reading and learning happily here!

You're welcome, Gian.

I tend to focus on the earlier models, so I don't have a very good feel for the prices of the '60s models. In any case, it would be necessary to view good photos of the dial, case (front and back), and movement, in order to assess the price seriously. Condition plays a significant role in the values of vintage watches.

One word of general advice: patience is your friend, when it comes to vintage watch collecting. There will always be opportunities to find good examples of higher production models, such as the one that you are considering, so there is no reason to feel that you (or your father) need to rush into a purchase.

A final note on the watch that you have shown – I am not confident that the bracelet is original (or correct) for that model. That is something to consider as well, as a correct bracelet will add much more value.

Good advice from Tony. With an emphasis on “patience is your friend, when it comes to vintage watch collecting”.

These 60s era Geneves are relatively plentiful and better examples can be had at a much better price. They may not exactly match the criteria you mentioned, but spending some time looking through this forum will help you on your hunt. I’d also look at Geneves that were recommended in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-291 And keep an eye out for ones that are posted there in the future. Good luck!

You're welcome, Gian.

I tend to focus on the earlier models, so I don't have a very good feel for the prices of the '60s models. In any case, it would be necessary to view good photos of the dial, case (front and back), and movement, in order to assess the price seriously. Condition plays a significant role in the values of vintage watches.

One word of general advice: patience is your friend, when it comes to vintage watch collecting. There will always be opportunities to find good examples of higher production models, such as the one that you are considering, so there is no reason to feel that you (or your father) need to rush into a purchase.

A final note on the watch that you have shown – I am not confident that the bracelet is original (or correct) for that model. That is something to consider as well, as a correct bracelet will add much more value.
Dear Tony

thanks again! This is really helpful. It‘s good to know they are not that hard to find.

patience, yes, i‘m trying ;-). I guess it‘s harder when you‘re 25… I will keep looking, learning, and also keep asking questions, I hope that‘s ok. There‘s so much to learn about these numerous models, it‘s exciting.

Good advice from Tony. With an emphasis on “patience is your friend, when it comes to vintage watch collecting”.

These 60s era Geneves are relatively plentiful and better examples can be had at a much better price. They may not exactly match the criteria you mentioned, but spending some time looking through this forum will help you on your hunt. I’d also look at Geneves that were recommended in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-291 And keep an eye out for ones that are posted there in the future. Good luck!

thank you! Yes, i‘m trying the patience thing 😀. And thank you for mentioning this thread, i‘ll look at it thoroughly.

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but since I started this one I felt it makes sense to keep writing here. Please tell me if this is not the case.

looking at those two models I see the difference in „quality of design“ between the seamaster and the geneve. But would you still consider the seamaster more valuable than the geneve today, or was that distinction only made when they first came out and is not so important now that they are both vintage pieces? First two images are a geneve, the three later ones a seamaster. They are almost the same price (1500 chf) , both serviced, that‘s why I wonder if this distionction in quality was something only made when they came out or if the geneve is simply overpriced.

thank you all for the kind feedback, it‘s really fun to learn so much about these beautiful watches!

Gian,

I would delete your Mido post. Not because it is a problem to show a different brand, but because your watch appears to have some "issues", and it would be better to discuss those on a separate, dedicated thread, if you are interested.

The Seamaster that you show likely pre-dates the Geneve models that you are considering, and as such was a higher quality model. "Vintage" cannot be reduced to a single perspective. Watches made in the late '40s through the '50s (or early '60s) are different than most of those made later. There was cost-cutting beginning in some manufacturers, and then, when the quartz crisis hit in the '70s, the quality of many mechanical watches dropped further. These are all "vintage", but not at all the same.

I mentioned in my original post that the early Geneve were of better quality and higher up the Omega model line than the later ones. That is a specific illustration of what I am talking about.

There's nothing wrong with buying a watch that was made in the '60s, or the '70s, but the quality was, in many cases, no longer as high as during the previous decades.
Edited:

Gian,

I would delete your Mido post. Not because it is a problem to show a different brand, but because your watch appears to have some "issues", and it would be better to discuss those on a separate, dedicated thread, if you are interested.

The Seamaster that you show likely pre-dates the Geneve models that you are considering, and as such was a higher quality model. "Vintage" cannot be reduced to a single perspective. Watches made in the late '40s through the '50s (or early '60s) are different than most of those made later. There was cost-cutting beginning in some manufacturers, and then, when the quartz crisis hit in the '70s, the quality of many mechanical watches dropped further. This are all "vintage", but not at all the same.

I mentioned in my original post that the early Geneve were of better quality and higher up the Omega model line than the later ones. That is a specific illustration of what I am talking about.

There's nothing wrong with buying a watch that was made in the '60s, or the '70s, but the quality was, in many cases, no longer as high as during the previous decades.
Dear Tony

i have deleted it, thank you for the heads up.

I see. I slowly begin to understand. Yes, the seamaster appears to be from 1958.
It makes sense that they cut costs and that the quality dropped further with the quarz crisis. Also how that is illustrated in the geneve line. Thank you for the explanation.

Was it also for that reason that they closed the factories in geneva? I don‘t find any specific dates when that happened but it seems to be around that time.

is there any other threads or books you could reccomend to deepen my historical omega-knowledge? I don‘t want to take up all your time asking questions. Thank you!

is there any other threads or books you could reccomend to deepen my historical omega-knowledge?

one side note: to search omegaforums, use google search, then limit the results to those from omegaforums.net

the ‘native’ search function within OF is rather clunky for certain types of searches, such as yours

one side note: to search omegaforums, use google search, then limit the results to those from omegaforums.net

the ‘native’ search function within OF is rather clunky for certain types of searches, such as yours
This is great feedback! That‘s why I didn‘t find anything. Thank you!!!

After using the tip to search through google, I have already learned a ton. Omega geneve‘s with cal. 1012 seem to not be interesting at all to collectors, I understand that.

I‘m still trying to understand pricing and face patina on these. Some seem rather without patina, like the black one I posted above - are such models certain to be re-dialed or could this aswell be original and in good shape? And why are they listed up to 2000.- and seem to sell, whilst people on the forum talk about below 500 max? I can‘t quite get my head around this…

thank you all for the feedback, it‘s fun to learn!
Edited: