Forums Latest Members

Omega Constellation Case Ref. 2887 - A Very Uncommon Case Reference

1. TNTwatch Nov 22, 2014

Why would you laugh at the lume dots? They appear consistent with the lume on the hands. Are these known to be replacement hands or is there a rule that forbids lume on pie pan dial?

2. TNTwatch Nov 22, 2014

Are there any known replacement on the dial and furniture that makes you uncertain about its originality? Of all the 5 pie pan dials on this reference, all have the same RE ending. That makes it uniformly consistent for all the pie pan dials while the same can't be said for the dome dials. Also, I don't think the originality of Hoi's dial has been proven yet in spite of his belief so. If there's any doubt, it should be placed on the low quality "funniness" of his dial's printing. Prove me wrong please.

Regards,
    Tony

Edited Nov 22, 2014
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 22, 2014

I think your dial is the real deal for this reference lume dots and all.

cristos71 likes this.
  4. Buck2466 Nov 22, 2014

No chance......the nice ones have already been dibbed to death. :(

5. cristos71 Nov 22, 2014

I'm sure Hoi has forgotten more than I know about Constellations, but nice that you think it all original.

Judging from the colour of the lume dots and hands I had no reason to believe them to be later additions, but sometimes it is wise to only enter into a debate when 100% sure of ones facts.

6. TNTwatch Nov 22, 2014

I think you were very reserved in posting just the pictures and without saying much about it, but it contributed a lot to the discussion on dials for this reference. To me, if there is no reasonable doubt, it's close enough to facts.

Edited Nov 23, 2014
    JohnSteed likes this.
  7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 23, 2014

You haven't seen enough Toni and I am sorry that I don't have time to dig out things to show you....

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 23, 2014

I also have an old pie pan dial with wrong hands here, now should I put some lume dots on it to turn it into a real thing hah ha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. TNTwatch Nov 23, 2014

No, I haven't seen enough of what you have, but I've seen all your postings claiming that your funny script was original. All I've seen is your comparing it to that on Spencer's watch which appeared in Desmond's article and your removing the dial to make sure it wasn't refinished. Sorry to say that if that's all you've done it's not enough to say it wasn't a service dial. First, Desmond did not say a word about dial originality in that article. Second, there are variations of scripting on the dome dials while it's very consistent on all piepan dials that have appeared so far. Third, your claiming that only your funny script is original is outrageous upon the fact that dial variation has always been the norm with vintage Omegas. Well, even the dome dials on this ref 2887 have shown variations in scripting.

I really respect and admire your experience and knowledge in collecting Omega watches, but on this subject, I have not seen enough of your evidence and/or analysis to prove your claim of exclusivity here. What I've seen is not only contrary to your claim, not only there are many types of scripting, but also there are more variances on the dome dial like yours than on the piepan dial that you've tried to dismiss. Here, I'm not saying your dial is not original or all the piepan dials are original, just saying your claim is a non proven. Your posting of another piepan dial does not prove anything one way or another either.

Regards,
    Tony

10. cristos71 Nov 23, 2014

Don't get your point, can you explain it?

11. John R Smith Nov 23, 2014

I think Hoi is saying that in his experience, dome dials and early pie-pan dials with the arrow-head markers are never lumed, and so lumed hands should never be found on these watches either. The correct hands for these are faceted gold dauphine hands with no lume.

12. TNTwatch Nov 23, 2014

Two points here. First, you may have seen and owned a lot of pie pan dials, but that is only anecdotal and does not make a rule out of it that no pie pan dial should have lume plots or lume hands going with it. Unless, of course, you can cite an authoritative source saying so.

Second, incandescent lighting does not render well all the details, but it's apparent that the lumes on the hands here seem newer than the dial's condition. You cannot say the same about Cristo's dial.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 23, 2014

Collectively in this forum we know more about vintage omegas than omega does but nobody has a monopoly on knowledge about a particular vintage omega model. While some members here know a lot about specific models, no one knows everything about any specific one.

14. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 16, 2016

Thought I would repost this thread, for no other reason that to my very pleasant surprise I am now the proud owner of one of these rare connies.

I saw it on fleabay USA about six weeks ago, bid not expecting to win and won! Seller was reticent to ship to the UK so I had it shipped to my great friend George in California.

George came to the UK this week and dropped this off for me at STS whilst he was here! I only had two very poor pics to go on in the original auction but thankfully my endeavours paid off

I've agreed with Simon that it's a 'sympathetic' service:

Movement
    Seals
    Crown
    Crystal
    No case work other than a good clean

Other than the grime the case looks near perfect and untouched. The dial is a peach and I will let you be the judge of the movement

Not often great barn finds come up of late but I think this qualifies, this is it totally farm fresh today at STS

IMG_3755.JPG IMG_3756.JPG IMG_3757.JPG IMG_3758.JPG IMG_3759.JPG IMG_3763.JPG

More pics to follow post service

Edited Dec 16, 2016
    Zapatta, Rman, BenBagbag and 11 others like this.
  15. BenBagbag Apr 18, 2018

My 2887 roll call failed, so I'll just take an opportunity to settle a 5 year old dispute in this thread by sharing my watch in the exact same configuration as @MSNWatch and with a similar story & family history (an uncle watch).

dial good.jpg Medallion 2.jpg caseback cropped.jpg movement blurred.jpg

Zapatta, Rman, TexOmega and 3 others like this.
  16. Francispost Mar 1, 2019

Really nice example and looks just as good as the original post. What would be the ball park figure in the valuation of the 2887? Only I have one that is currently not functioning and nothing like the condition that your example is in?

Thanks

Francis

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 1, 2019

I don't think there is any premium over an equivalent Ref. 2852 or bumper Ref. 2782 with a similar dial.

Anywhere from $500 to $1,500+, depending on condition.
    gatorcpa

18. Francispost Mar 1, 2019

Thank you for the prompt reply, I really appreciate your help in this regard. Although I was under the impression that it was a rare ref so I am a little disappointed but thank you.

Francis

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 1, 2019

Rare doesn't necessarily mean "worth a premium", unless there are two or more collectors bidding at auction.

Or you are reading a dealer's description.
    gatorcpa

ConElPueblo, DaveK and Peemacgee like this.
  20. sliceoftime_ Aug 8, 2019

Adding my contribution to this thread. Lucky enough to find another Pie Pan 2887.
    IMG_20190808_184630_476.jpg

Rudi99, iamvr, Zapatta and 13 others like this.