Omega collection down to one: How are your watch tastes changing (or not)?

I realized that, after sending off my most recent sale, my Omega collection now stands at one watch.
IMG_1787.jpeg
That top row was recently filled with Omegas. If I separate out the financial reasons for this shift, the very slim remaining explanation would be something like: I spent several weeks away from home with just one Chronostop Seamaster, the biggest, chunkiest watch I’ve ever owned, came back and managed (thanks to @Scarecrow Boat) to obtain a bracelet for the Seamaster 145.016-68 chronograph in the top left corner and found myself wearing these big tool watches much more than the 1960s166.010s and earlier designs that used to be my sweet spot.

I am still a big fan of the watches I no longer have, especially the 166.010 family, which I’m sure I’ll one day have to own again, but looking at the state of the collection now, I seem to have settled on mostly black-dialed tool watches as my style. Is your collection right now an accurate picture of your taste in watches? How much turnover are you seeing?
Edited:

Like 13
It’s a two drink err I mean watch minimum here. What’ll ya have?

Like 4
Nice that you have managed to downsize your Omega collection...
Lots of my friends wonder often why I need more than one watch??
And my children don't even use watches...:(

MUST..
NOT..
BUY..
ANOTHER..
SPEEDY..

;)

Have a nice weekend!

Like 7
My issue is that I love buying watches. The process, anticipation and excitement of waiting for it to arrive, opening the parcel to (hopefully) reveal the diamond in the rough sealed with years of dirt and grime, an hour or so for a crystal polish and clean of the case, movement inspection, then strapping it onto my wrist. That’s the bit I love. I constantly find that after this part is done with, the watch then sits in my box for a few months, perhaps coming out for a periodic look under a loupe or 30 minutes on the wrist.

Realistically I reckon I could reduce my collection to probably 6-8 watches that I wear, but I simply don’t want to pull out of the hunt.

Like 25
My issue is that I love buying watches. The process, anticipation and excitement of waiting for it to arrive, opening the parcel to (hopefully) reveal the diamond in the rough sealed with years of dirt and grime, an hour or so for a crystal polish and clean of the case, movement inspection, then strapping it onto my wrist. That’s the bit I love. I constantly find that after this part is done with, the watch then sits in my box for a few months, perhaps coming out for a periodic look under a loupe or 30 minutes on the wrist.

Realistically I reckon I could reduce my collection to probably 6-8 watches that I wear, but I simply don’t want to pull out of the hunt.
David - that was/is Spot On!

You summed it up in a few sentences!!

Like 5
David - that was/is Spot On!

The best way I can describe it, is it's like Christmas when i was a kid. The excitement of seeing the presents all wrapped up and the anticipation of opening them and seeing if what's inside lives up to your expectations. That was the best bit. Once you've opened them, they simply become another toy. The magic's right at the start!

Like 9

You can sum it up with one word even, ADDICTION :D

Like 10
Well I have sold a modern Globemaster and a 44mm steel Speedmaster …. An added a FOIS and and Alaska …. So I guess that shows a direction of travel…..

Like 1
The search, research and anticipation is a fair bit of the pleasure.
For me, I limit my watches fairly strictly to a fixed number - if something catches my eye, something else has to go, either now or soon after. I find that retains the pleasure of looking, but really focuses my mind whether something is really better and more enjoyable than what I have. It also curates my watches over time.
I also found any purchases takes headspace - I have to store it (and the ever more mahoosive boxes), service, insure, rotate etc. Keeping the number restricted really keeps the ‘maintaining’ side of watches to a mentally okay place for me.
Won’t work for everyone, but so far works for me.

Like 6
The search, research and anticipation is a fair bit of the pleasure.
For me, I limit my watches fairly strictly to a fixed number - if something catches my eye, something else has to go, either now or soon after. I find that retains the pleasure of looking, but really focuses my mind whether something is really better and more enjoyable than what I have. It also curates my watches over time.
I also found any purchases takes headspace - I have to store it (and the ever more mahoosive boxes), service, insure, rotate etc. Keeping the number restricted really keeps the ‘maintaining’ side of watches to a mentally okay place for me.
Won’t work for everyone, but so far works for me.
I should add that even with this approach, Omega holds the number one position of most watches (tied with Grand Seiko). In the pondering of “okay, what has to go” my Omegas are never even on the shortlist.

Like 2
I’m deep into it. Omega (from 40s to 70s & all sorts) dominates. I need to consolidate.

Well my collection has grown wildly but I’m still in my youth (as a collector at least ;)) :
- 2019, the 1st year : I bought 1 Omega Constellation in Jan and started spending time on the web, bought a Croton Casd as my first vintage chrono/diver (« coup double » I thought, as if it was the end of it)

- 2020, my second year I joined OF in Feb : +8 watches including 2 omegas (a 145.018 and a FOIS), the rest were all first, that I could afford, venturing in different areas of the watch world : eterna, lemania, zenith, grand seiko, longines.
- 2021 got crazy : +22 :whipped:. Including 6 omega ( a 145.029, a CCase Connie, 2 seamaster from the 50s and 2 1940s 30T2) The rest was an extension of my first steps of 2021 : more Eterna (50s 60s) more Tissot (60s 70s), more Seikos, more of everything

-2022 : « I should consolidate »… NOT :whipped::whipped:: +18 watches of which 10 omega (166.009, a first speedy and a markII, a 176.007,2 more seamaster from the 50s) and a first IWC and Rolex….

- 2023 : still want to buy but money is not growing on trees… and do I start to be more focus ? +6 including 5 omega (a 165.024, a deluxe constellation, a 145.006…) and first 2 watches sold :thumbsup:

- 2024 : who knows ? But 1 so far and a wonderful 145.012-67…

The vast majority of my Omega collection is from OFers.

So I’m deep into it. Omega (from 40s to 70s & all sorts) dominates. I need to consolidate.
image.jpg

Edit : I realized I did not answer the OPs question. I would say my tastes are evolving of course but mainly leading me to enlarge what I appreciate rather than saying 'nay, not for me'. This is not helping to focus :)

For instance : I thought watches over 40mm would be too big for me or below 34mm would be too small. I know now that for me the up-limits are more related to the lug to lug dimensions and that depending on my mood and apparels I could go from a 44mm 'willard' seiko to a 32mm longines.
Also I learned to love different case forms : I did not like the C shape / Cushions initially but I have learned to appreciate them (from Chronos to Constellation). Looking in OF I am leaning over trying very distinctive shapes to see if I like wearing them or not : like scarab lugs.
Last example but somehow related to the size I already mentioned and the occurence of those : but I feel like exploring more the 30s and 40s that what I've done so far (90% of my collection is from the 50s to 70s).

At the end it is a little bit like food : it's great to explore but you keep having your favorite dishes.
For the moment, I still feel I need to keep exploring before being more selective again.
Edited:

Like 17
I can stop anytime I want to. I just don’t want to.
Besides, I have ONE for sale. :D
IMG_6506.jpeg

Like 19
I'm just going to leave this here. :whistling:

omega_seamasters_four.jpeg
Two dates, two no dates - a main wearer and a backup for each. Don't see anything wrong with that, just good common sense watch buying.... :)

Like 4
Two dates, two no dates - a main wearer and a backup for each. Don't see anything wrong with that, just good common sense watch buying.... :)
Those are actually four different references. A bit of compulsive collecting.

Like 2
Those are actually four different references. A bit of compulsive collecting.
you need cross hair & and black dial ::stirthepot::

Like 3
My collection seems to be different every two years. Turnover rate is exactly that. If I've kept a watch longer than that, then it means I really like it and it's bound to stay. I want less common watches though my modern Rolex isn't that at all. Vintage Rolex is too expensive but I have 2 that I love and that might be enough. Aside from that, vintage omega constellations will always find a place in my collection. Condition is everything. 50's > 60's. No dates > dates (especially non quicksets!). I am buying more of what I like moving forward. After 7ish years of collecting, I know what I like and don't feel like venturing other brands or models. And gold capped pieces are a BIG NO for me.

Like 2
I am at the point now where I need to cut stuff loose. Several "incomplete" restorations and new projects in the works... plus WAAAAAY too much watchmaker gear and me with little time to use it, so that'll be for sale as well. Stuff like an absolutely pristine and complete with every stake and stump made staking set in wooden box, with paperwork. I spent two weeks restoring the stakes and stumps and then replaced the one broken stake and then added the optional stakes that were not included in the original (complete) kit...

Right now, on my desk here is my SKX007J (JDM) with all three bracelet options (two OEM bracelets and rubber strap) and an Uncle Seiko oyster bracelet... too new to sell here and no time to make an eBay listing for it (but I'd rather sell here anyway).

Unlike most people, I will wear the same watch for several weeks/months on end. I don't change daily, or several times a day. So, a big collection does not make sense for me. I will keep a few key/iconic models forever, but others I need to cut loose.

Like 2
:D:D:eek::D
I’m deep into it. Omega (from 40s to 70s & all sorts) dominates. I need to consolidate.

Well my collection has grown wildly but I’m still in my youth (as a collector at least ;)) :
- 2019, the 1st year : I bought 1 Omega Constellation in Jan and started spending time on the web, bought a Croton Casd as my first vintage chrono/diver (« coup double » I thought, as if it was the end of it)

- 2020, my second year I joined OF in Feb : +8 watches including 2 omegas (a 145.018 and a FOIS), the rest were all first, that I could afford, venturing in different areas of the watch world : eterna, lemania, zenith, grand seiko, longines.
- 2021 got crazy : +22 :whipped:. Including 6 omega ( a 145.029, a CCase Connie, 2 seamaster from the 50s and 2 1940s 30T2) The rest was an extension of my first steps of 2021 : more Eterna (50s 60s) more Tissot (60s 70s), more Seikos, more of everything

-2022 : « I should consolidate »… NOT :whipped::whipped:: +18 watches of which 10 omega (166.009, a first speedy and a markII, a 176.007,2 more seamaster from the 50s) and a first IWC and Rolex….

- 2023 : still want to buy but money is not growing on trees… and do I start to be more focus ? +6 including 5 omega (a 165.024, a deluxe constellation, a 145.006…) and first 2 watches sold :thumbsup:

- 2024 : who knows ? But 1 so far and a wonderful 145.012-67…

The vast majority of my Omega collection is from OFers.

So I’m deep into it. Omega (from 40s to 70s & all sorts) dominates. I need to consolidate.
image.jpg
Soon one for every day of the month!!

And nice Speedys!

Like 1
I find my preference have swung toward more advanced complications as my collection grows. While I love all the watches in my current collection, just having the time and date isn't scratching the itch anymore. I mean, how many more divers do I really need?

IMG20240209172200.jpg

I love calendar complications such as triple date moonphase, annual calendars, and perpetuals. The ingenuity of just using wheels and levers is amazing to me. Unfortunately, what I like are expensive and so I'm doing more research before I pull the trigger in another year or two. Some contenders are the JLC perpetual 140.2.80 in rose gold at 37mm and the Patek 5146 annual calendar. Some pictures for reference that I pulled from Chrono24.

Screenshot_2024-02-09-23-25-10-38_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg Screenshot_2024-02-09-23-24-34-36_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Like 7