Omega Brand Ambassadors

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuIEuSCN3Rw/?igshid=YzcxN2Q2NzY0OA==

I really don’t want to be nasty, or sound like I am trolling people, and I understand all watch manufacturers need to do what it takes to shift watches

But I feel really conflicted about being an omega customer when I see their obsessive celebrity/influencer marketing

That’s not why I like watches. I don’t want to be any part of that unhealthy celebrity culture.

Am I not their target customer? Are they trying to become more of a fashion brand?

It’s really not for me this scene.

Just a thought.

Then it sounds like most of the major brands, like Rolex and Omega --may not be for you, if you don't like the sort of celebrity advertising culture.

There are a lot of good alternatives for you out there.

I make peace with this by keeping myself so oblivious to pop culture that I don’t even recognize the celebrities they get to shill.

There’s also (for me) a crucial line between the marketing and the product itself. As long as they’re not aligning themselves with a bigoted dictator or something, I don’t pay much attention to their marketing at all. It’s about the watches: are they good?—do I like how they function and look? Obviously there’s a longer lasting and deeper marketing ploy with Omega that’s working on me—the brand and its reputation and the historical relevance it’s both earned and concocted. But no celebrity ambassadorship is likely to move the needle for me or make me like a dud or dislike a winner, I don’t like the Moonswatch; fine, I won’t buy one. I think it’s cheesy that Omega makes costume watches for James Bond fans; fine, I won’t buy one. But most of the watches are excellent, and that’s all I’m interested in.

If there’s a marketing ploy they use that annoys me, it’s their pricing, which usually strikes me as about twice as high as it should be, in terms of (mass produced) quality and fair market value. But that’s what the preowned/gray market is for.

I’m pretty sure no one on this forum wears an Omega because of George Clooney and his talented friends.

Relax, wear what you like, and you’ll be in good company here.

I’m pretty sure no one on this forum wears an Omega because of George Clooney and his talented friends.

But I bet there are a fair few who wear an Omega because Buzz Aldrin wore one 😉

I see your point. I’m dumping my Rolex, omegas, Tudors, brietlings, hublot, Pateks, AP, JLC, VC’s …

I think I can wear Sinn and Seagull.

They're a luxury brand. Those are the types of circles that deal in luxury. Doesn't mean anything to us watch fans. Just ignore it. Other than George Clooney, I don't even know who any of those people are.

Exactly this. It's easy to lose track of this, but the reality is these watches are luxury items, which means that they are priced in a way that specifically limits accessibility. That's going to mean that the total sample of people that own these watches that is also on display is going to be a lot smaller than, say, Timex.

Edit: this is poorly worded. The sample, the people that you can obviously see that on omega, is pretty limited. In my opinion that means you are going to see a lot more people that you may not like because the sample is so small. OP, I would challenge you to assess whether or not you are subject to some sort of sampling bias here versus other brands. Look at a sample of who owns and advertises that they own Rolex, for example. I think you're going to have a similar result.

Luxury items are paraded about by people who have the money for luxury. It's not something you can escape...

They're a luxury brand. Those are the types of circles that deal in luxury. Doesn't mean anything to us watch fans. Just ignore it. Other than George Clooney, I don't even know who any of those people are.
Edited: