Forums Latest Members
  1. northwatch99 Jul 3, 2020

Hi, This is my first post here, I’m hoping someone with more experience having their Omega serviced may have some advice.

I recently bought a Seamaster 2254 that it turned out needed a movement service, and a new bezel. The bracelet was also a bit loose and maybe missing pins. I
    sent it to Omega via an AD, they are quoting £450 for the service (as expected), £220 for a new bezel (bit steep but ok) and said the bracelet needs replacing, £550. I wasn’t expecting that, I thought they would be able to fix it or replace any links that were too worn. They won’t refinish it either, it’s pay for the replacement bracelet or nothing.

I suppose my questions are 1. Is this normal or would you expect them to fix your bracelet as part of the service? 2. Does anyone know of a more affordable way to either get hold of another bracelet or get mine fixed somewhere else?

any advice much appreciated.

2. MrHwang Jul 3, 2020

Hi :)

Id say the bracelet isn't that big a cost for a new one. If you take it to a good independent watchmaker they will most probably fix it for you but you'd still be looking at somewhat half that cost. So given you get a new one its ok and I would have gonde for it. Otherwise I guess its ebay/chrono24 and other second hand places.

Awesome watch btw!

Best of luck!

northwatch99 likes this.
  3. northwatch99 Jul 3, 2020

Thanks, I had a look on chrono24 and seems like you’re, right £550 isn’t bad for a new one. I guess I just assumed they would be able to fix it and didn’t budget for it. I really like the watch though so maybe I should just do it.

4. SkunkPrince Jul 3, 2020

If the holes in the links are worn enough, there's no fixing to be done and it won't hold the pins.

northwatch99 likes this.
  5. OmeGez Jul 4, 2020

The watch will look super sharp with a new bracelet and bezel.

you’ll probably find your bezel has been polished and loses the sharp scallop edges.

you’ll have a brand new looking watch.

northwatch99 likes this.
  6. northwatch99 Jul 4, 2020

It will have nearly as much as a new one too
    I do prefer this model to the newer Seamasters though so possibly worth it in the long run.

MikiJ likes this.
  7. OmeGez Jul 4, 2020

You can’t compare the 2254 to any other Seamaster model. It’s a classic already and will continue to appreciate in value, with its short run or production, plus the slim case, the sword hands - the 2254 is the ultimate 1 watch collection, in my opinion.

You’ll have a new bracelet etc which will last another 20+ years before stretching.

MikiJ and northwatch99 like this.
  8. Omegafanman Jul 4, 2020

A few links below - also covers some alternative strap options.
    1503/825 bracelet is the original but rubber 98000085 or leather could work … depending on what you paid your are putting a lot of money into the watch - Maybe look for a second hand bracelet / use an independent strap for now. The watch is a real classic. The bezel is fair enough - hard to polish / repair.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-2254-50-owners-bracelet-question.103660/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/show-off-your-2254-and-2264s.90870/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-all-the-smp-2254-fans-around-here.113180/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/2254-50-time-for-service.112961/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/2264-2254.103500/

northwatch99 likes this.
  9. northwatch99 Jul 4, 2020

I completely agree, it ticks every box for me and the bracelet is a big part of its appeal. It will have to appreciate a lot for me to break even now haha. I don’t plan to sell though.

MikiJ and OmeGez like this.
  10. northwatch99 Jul 4, 2020

Thanks for the links, some great threads. Didn’t know there was a titanium version!

11. SkunkPrince Jul 4, 2020

That depends on where you're from. The 2254.50 was sold on the 1610/930 bracelet in USA and there was a big stink about it here and other forums because of it.

I have both but prefer the 1610 most times because I like it better. Less busy, perhaps?

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2020

Some clarification needed...

The 22545000 only came on the 1610/930 bracelet.

The 20545000 came on the 1503/825.

The 25945091 came on the 98000037 strap with 94521813 buckle.

Cheers, Al

Farmer and Omegafanman like this.
  13. northwatch99 Sep 28, 2020

Thought I would update and share some pics in case anyone reads this.... In the end I went ahead with the whole thing. It took a while but I got it back this weekend. It's looking minty fresh with a new bracelet, crown and bezel (seems they replaced both the inner aluminium one & the steel outer part). Basically looks new!

Very happy overall. Only slight negatives are it didn't come back in a nice Omega watch case, just a cheap looking black unbranded box. Also there was no explanation of what they replaced in the movement. So they could have replaced the whole movement or nothing at all, no idea! It runs better now which is the main thing though, was -40s per day before, now -2s

IMG_3125.jpg IMG_3126.jpg IMG_3139.jpg
    PlainVanilla, MikiJ and ChrisN like this.
  14. YY77 Sep 28, 2020

I would have expected they would include all they replaced parts.

15. northwatch99 Sep 28, 2020

Me too. The only part I got back was the old crown. Makes me wonder if it was a whole movement swap. As well as not keeping time it was grinding horribly when I wound it, so maybe it wasn't worth repairing.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 28, 2020

Did you get Omega branded paperwork back with it? The lack of red service case and replaced parts worries me slightly. Did they return the old bezel, bracelet and crown?

DaveK and Archer like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 28, 2020

Omega always returns the worn parts. Did you send this in to Omega directly, or through a dealer?

I recall one instance with an AD in the Toronto area that told the customer it would go to Omega for service, and instead they sent it to someone local who charged less, and the dealer pocketed the difference. They were found out due to the lack of returned parts, and lack of red travel case. Omega made things right in the end, but this sort of thing does happen...

Eve and DaveK like this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 28, 2020

The old bracelet and bezel have significant value for resale even in tired condition, like maybe £300 total. I would be seriously pissed off if those had not been returned. Like Al above, I have concerns that you didn't receive the service you paid for here. It should have gone to OSC Southampton or possibly Swiss Time Services. I would be on to the dealer to demand to know who exactly they used and where your property now is.

As I mentioned above, did it come with a sheet showing who did the work and confirming the 2 year warranty?

Edited Sep 28, 2020
  19. northwatch99 Sep 28, 2020

It was through an AD. It did come with an Omega service card and paperwork, I checked what the cards look like and it seems legit... I think

20. northwatch99 Sep 28, 2020

I did get my old bracelet back too. The reason the bezel was swapped is that it wasn't an original one (I only realised this after buying), so I understand why they wouldn't return that to me.

The paperwork & service card doesn't say which person did the work, but it's got all the details for their Southampton service centre, service ID, warranty ID, references for my watch.

padders likes this.