Forums Latest Members
  1. rexquando65 Apr 28, 2020

Hello OF

I just purchased this 2254.50 and it is running consistent 15 seconds slow per day. Previous owner did not have serviced and does not know history. Do you think it's time for a service? If so any recomendations? I live in Detroit, MI. Should I send into Omega? 20200417_120815_HDR.jpg

2. Donn Chambers Apr 28, 2020

You have a watch that could be more than 20 years old with no service history and it is running slow? Of course it needs a service.

3. RMA Apr 28, 2020

12 plus years old most likely never serviced. Send it to an independent watch maker even. I recommend Archer on this site or TimeCare Inc or better yet Phillip Ridley. Might cost less too.

4. rexquando65 Apr 28, 2020

Thanks for recommendations.

5. Meme-Dweller Apr 28, 2020

Your handset looks like it has rust... definitely not normal wear.

6. moyrules Apr 29, 2020

Best to know if a watch needs a service is to use a timegrapher. With that, amplitude and beat error can tell if the watch needs a service.

Deviation per day can be indicative or not. It can be necessary only an adjustment.

In my experience, I saw:
    -watches with devotion per day of less than 10 seconds, and amplitude of 150-200... they need a service
    -watches with high deviation, like 20-40 seconds, but good amplitude ... usually, they only need an adjustment
    -of course, watches with high deviation and low amplitude (that’s the usual), so a service is neeeded.

A better parameter to know if the watch needs a service is to monitor reserve de marche. If it is far away the time it should be, it sure needs a service. No doubts.

In order to be safe, if you don’t know the history service, you should go to a watchmaker. He will tell if only adjustment or full service.

7. Omegafanman Apr 29, 2020

I made a review video five years ago when I had my 2254.50 serviced. You don't need to send it into Omega but from my experience it will come back like a new watch and polished (not recommended for a vintage piece) - they do have a vintage service as well for those pieces / more complimentary to the aged aesthetic /patina etc. Equally any good watchmaker should be able to clean and service the watch - a polish would be extra. I am not sure how easy it is for independents to get genuine parts these days. If going the Omega route I would say wear it to death to get your monies worth (fixed fee). If going independent regular servicing will reduce the need for parts (even modern lubricants decay over time). It does depend how much wrist time it gets (I wore mine a lot before the service below). This opens another question about when do modern watches become vintage / how will modern lume age etc... I saw a thread on that a while back :0)

2254.50 - Copy.jpg
  8. ZIELSZIEK Apr 29, 2020

Indeed. Op's watch definitely needs a service.
    But monitoring a watch's power reserve isn't that good of an indicator. I have a 50 year old watch that has not been serviced in quite a while but it has good power reserve. (39 hours out of the 42 it should have).
    I had a 15 year old Seiko that had a good reserve and when I sent it in for service the Watchmaker told me it was likely the original mainspring in it, even though it was long overdue for servicing.
    As for watches with acceptable deviation and good amplitude, I have seen cruddy movements getting decent amplitude(mainly vintage watches)
    Only a watchmaker can determine if the watch needs a service as the procedure to determining that consists of a visual inspection as well as an interpretation of the timegrapher values. Therefore, determining if a piece needs servicing or not is best left to the care of a professional.

moyrules and rexquando65 like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

How about just serving as per recommendations every 5-7 years. Pressure test every 1-2 years

For me the above watch is modern enough for a Omega or independent route.
    Just ask for no polishing if going the Omega way.

basicly if you don’t know a watch has had a service for over 5 years get it serviced. More so if it is a dive watch that would be worn around water.

efauser, rexquando65 and padders like this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 29, 2020

Being devil’s advocate for a moment, why no polishing? Its a personal choice of course but It’s a modern watch with mixed finishes which looks pretty crappy when scratched up. The market puts no premium on an SMP with case patina (ie damage), quite the opposite. The lume won’t develop any appreciable patina on any sword hands SMP since they all use Superluminova. The early tritium dial Bond style lume does fade but not in a particularly attractive or even way. I would however caution against a polish at an independent unless you are confident they do a good job but if a watch must be polished, Omega (and a few independents) do great job. There is no discount with Omega for not taking the polish.

efauser and rexquando65 like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

I’m a diver scratched up kind of guy @padders ;)

F238DD20-996A-42E7-A34B-37381FC99ABA.jpeg

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 29, 2020

Fair enough :thumbsup:

STANDY likes this.
  13. rexquando65 Apr 29, 2020

Thanks for all the advice on the matter. I will definitely take it in to my local guy for an evaluation.

14. kpinthebay Apr 29, 2020

As some have mentioned, I'd take it to a reputable indy. Maybe someone that comes recommended on the forums. Check on Yelp too for local watchmakers.

15. rexquando65 Apr 29, 2020

Informative video. Thanks for positing.

16. moyrules Apr 30, 2020

A timegrapher can be one of the best investments for a watch fan. You can find a good example for less than 200 euro on eBay.

@ZIELSZIEK, I don’t believe that to know if a watch needs a service is something like “a dark mystery of sorcery...” (sorry for that joke).

A movement needs a service:
    -because the time. Watch has it’s own oil to lubricate the pieces of the movement. With the use, oil will began to dry off and/or deteriorate
    -because there’s a problem with a piece

Not servicing a watch that needs a service will sure have an impact on the pieces of the movement.

any of those reasons have an impact on the parameters of the watch. Some of them are amplitude, deviation per day, beat error, or reserve de marche

I check every year about 300 to 400 watches. And it is quite easy to know if a watch is working fine or not (with a timegrapher)

A8DBEA3E-95CD-4FF6-A470-73A5ECEF5F52.jpeg

This is an Eterna Kontiki Mark III, a nice vintage piece we will have for sale in a couple of days. It is vintage, but for sure services were done, because the movement is working fine (for a vintage):
    -low deviation
    -acceptable amplitude
    -low beat error
    Check the lines... pararell and very consistent. It is working very well (for a vintage piece)

5E829D09-58BE-4B0F-8ECA-EBE2FD3CAF09.jpeg

This Rolex from the seventies, just received:
    -deviation is not good, 27 seconds.
    -amplitude can’t be measured, so there’s something wrong there
    -look at the “lines”, there are no lines, only points, so that watch has a great problem with a piece of the movement (not necessary a service, but there’s something wrong with the movement, and has to be solved, probably a piece that was broken)

both are two examples.

if you don’t have a timegrapher, I agree no parameter can tel you the truth: deviation can be adjusted (movement needs a service, but offers a good deviation), reserve is not affected, etc

rexquando65 likes this.
  17. ZIELSZIEK Apr 30, 2020

Your post is great and interesting but I only tried to put the emphasis on the visual inspection of the watch. That's why I said it's best left to the professional. It is not a dark mystery but watchmaking requires a lot of knowledge and there are a lot of variables.
    The timegrapher tells you nothing about the state of the watch's lubrication. You can get good amplitude out of dry train jewels, for example.
    Let's take the Caravelle Devil Diver I sent in for a service. It had great amplitude, it got +20s/d a day, and a beat error of 1.5ms which is acceptable for a watch with a fixed stud carrier movement.
    The watchmaker told me that the watch was bone dry. It had dried train jewels and dried keyless works. So, a timegrapher only tells you half the truth.
    I'm sorry to hijack the op's thread like this. Only putting the emphasis on having it checked by a watchmaker.

18. rexquando65 Apr 30, 2020

Dropping it off tonight. I told my guy if he determines it needs a service I would like to have all the gaskets replaced and water tested. He said he usually uses some lubricant on gaskets. I'm thinking I better just send it into Omega. What should I expect Omega to charge for a full service?

19. ZIELSZIEK Apr 30, 2020

I can't comment on what a full service will cost at Omega but if you're doubting your watchmaker only because he said that he lubricates gaskets, don't.
    Gaskets are lubricated with silicone in order to maintain their flexibility and repel the water, it's standard practice.

20. rexquando65 Apr 30, 2020

Thank you. It seemed fishy to not just replace them while I was getting service.