Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. mikechi22 Sep 1, 2017

Chicago had availability a while ago too! Easy flight!
    I want one now too, damn it! RM not enough! My demand exceeding supply of cash, however!

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  2. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Sep 1, 2017

3. LeonDeBayonne Sep 1, 2017

I sometimes really have a hard time trying to understand what's going on in the sellers' mind. And this is one of these times.

Trying not to be opinionated, I will not criticize this guy's decision. But we are talking of a watch that has been discussed and shown in length in the press and forums before being available for sale. And even though you missed it, it is a very, very close replica of the original model. So why the hell would you sell this watch now and furthermore at a discount to current price? Was he intoxicated when he placed the order? This is absurd.

4. arcadelt Sep 1, 2017

Perhaps his financial circumstances have changed, or he bought it for a boyfriend but the relationship has ended, or he is a VIP that got it at a discount unlike the rest of us and he is still making a profit...or perhaps he just was drunk when he order it as you have suggested [emoji51]. People make all sort of decisions based on factors that are never known by outsiders.

5. blokk Sep 1, 2017

Buyers remorse and he cannot return it for a refund?

6. LeonDeBayonne Sep 1, 2017

You're both right @arcadelt and @blokk. Nevertheless, we already saw with the speedytuesday that flipping for profit was a cause of concern for watch aficionados. Now, I can imagine what Omega would say if people start flipping at a discount. ::screwloose:: At the end, the brand image will pay for it.

7. mikechi22 Sep 1, 2017

From American eyes, he's selling it exactly at retail price. Maybe he got it and just really doesn't like it?

8. jfmiii Sep 1, 2017

He could have bought it in the UK for less than that. When I inquired with a UK dealer in the Spring on the 300 it was a full $2k less than the US MSRP after tax. If he paid in full then (and GBP/EUR was weaker at that point), he is making a profit at EUR 5900. That being said, the 300 and the RM will trade at a discount in the next 6 months.

mikechi22 likes this.
  9. mikechi22 Sep 1, 2017

We'll see...

10. Longbow Sep 1, 2017

The price drop seems to be due to the light scratches on the rear of the lugs and case back.

As for all the on-line photos and reviews giving enough info to make an informed choice, the most are (I suspect) paid for, i.e. biased. So however great the watch is things will be "overlooked". I did a "warts and all" review of my Globemaster a few days ago. With such a review you can find out what a particular watch is really like ....I still love it by the way. I have yet to see such a full and frank review of any of the Trilogy watches. Perhaps I should do one for my Railmaster?

For the sake of balance I'll throw in the following -ve observations:-

1) the bracelet seems to me to be a bit too heavy and as with most other Omega bracelets was probably finished by Gillette or Wilkinson Sword...it is sharp.

2) the leather strap does not have rear cut-outs like on my GM which makes removal a pain in the butt if you are not practiced/skilled in this task (the scratched lugs on that SM doesn't surprise me in the slightest).

3) The polished outer links are picking up scratches real fast....this will be an issue on each and every Trilogy watch. Interestingly the watch head is pretty much scratch free.

4) the clasp is showing more desk diver swirls than I had expected so soon after purchase.

5) I have stopped using the micro-adjustment extension clasp because it hardly adds any er extension. Nice idea, could do better.

But you know what, I don't give a stuff about any of those points, because the Railmaster is a sublime watch. I don't care if it drops to just 10% of it's purchase price, it's a keeper for a watch lover, not a speculator/flipper. Mine has already been mistaken for the '57 original and I suspect after a few more years (ab)use it will look identical.

So, in summary it's not all fair weather with the Trilogies, but the flaws are minimal and they will all be great additions to most WIS's collections.

Kmart, Pibbow, solesman and 9 others like this.
  11. blokk Sep 1, 2017

Excellent points there. Is there a link to the GM review? Look forward for the RM review if there is one coming as well.

12. SWSC Sep 1, 2017

Great comments, thanks

13. solesman Sep 2, 2017

2 weeks of ownership with this one. No desire to put it on the bracelet. Loving how understated it looks [emoji16]

IMG_0473.JPG

Miklange, Pibbow, Kmart and 13 others like this.
  14. Longbow Sep 2, 2017

I forgot to mention; because the case back is so highly polished (it's beautiful by the way) it will also pick up scratches really easily. If you are going to use the NATO mostly I strongly recommend that you put one of those thin transparent plastic protectors on the case back, it will stop the surface getting scuffed.

15. Longbow Sep 2, 2017

16. solesman Sep 2, 2017

The sticker that came on the case back is still in place [emoji6]

watchme and Longbow like this.
  17. DIV Sep 2, 2017

Yes, agreed...I got my first couple of light scratches there on the caseback...the clasp of the bracelet scuffed the caseback within hours of my removing the sticker. I thought about replacing the sticker, but too late...the scratches are already there, plus I intend to make this a daily wearer and a friend for life, so we'll both collect scuffs and scratches as we venture through life together.

fskywalker, Kmart, wkimmd and 5 others like this.
  18. Df13 Sep 2, 2017

One would hate to scratch the official Omega caseback sticker, anyways. I recommend a sticker to protect the Omega sticker, which protects the caseback, which protects the movement. :p:)

Kmart, bremontspy, wkimmd and 5 others like this.
  19. jfmiii Sep 2, 2017

looks great on a black NATO!

20. solesman Sep 2, 2017

The NATO is the chocolate brown one that ships with the watch. Bloody lighting haha.