Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. ZuluMovement Jun 28, 2017

New to the forums and also new to my admiration for Omega watches. I just contacted the OB in the UK which has me on their waiting list for the 60th SM300 and they have said they have been told it will be the last 2 weeks of July at the earliest however more likely early August and have an allocation of 10 SM300 pieces. This will be my first Omega and this so-called virtue of patience has left me in the knowledge I am far from virtuous.

SouthernScot, bnabod and frazierspa like this.
  2. frazierspa Jun 28, 2017

Great first Omega, ZM! Thanks for the update!

3. w.finkenstaedt Jun 28, 2017

Screw down crown has nothing to do with WR, just FYI.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 28, 2017

Really? Do elaborate, I had always assumed that a screw down was to prevent the crown being inadvertently pulled out under water and the crown gasket's integrity failing. They make sense in an auto winder, much less so in a daily wind manual like a Speedy though.

Edited Jun 28, 2017
  5. w.finkenstaedt Jun 28, 2017

Yes, it's mostly to protect against accidental pulls or knocks. But with modern push-pull from Omega (if you haven't seen it on the Globemaster I highly recommend it), there's very little need for a screw down crown, as there is quite a bit of pulling needed to get the crown out.

In fact, Omega has gone to push-in crowns on all but the new 41mm Aqua Terra; the 38-30mm variants will have a press-in crown.

Longbow and padders like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 28, 2017

No I haven't seen the new version, will check it out, thanks.

7. Df13 Jun 28, 2017

Sure it does. If you bump it open, it opens that seal. I can understand that the Railmaster doesn't have it, but Omega certainly shouldn't leave it off a watch branded "Seamaster."

8. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jun 28, 2017

Yep I can quite see that, that is a beauty indeed and as you suggest should be right at home for any occasion.

Part of the attraction apart from the obvious cost of ownership is whenever I meet people that just have a single really nice watch that is always with them, it really appeals to me that bond you must develop.

Df13 likes this.
  9. w.finkenstaedt Jun 28, 2017

I'd honestly like to know how someone is bumping open a crown while underwater. What do you people do with your watches that you're worried that a crown that requires a pound of two of pressure coming out? [emoji15]

10. Df13 Jun 28, 2017

:):):)
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/opinion-being-one-watch-guy

I don't baby my watches, so I don't mind the extra safeguard, since I basically wear my AT like I would a G-Shock. To quote good ol' lysanderxiii over on watchuseek:

"There are several reasons to place a screw-down crown on a watch:

1) Improved durability of the water resistance due to inadvertent movement - under water dynamic sealing is more difficult than static sealing. If a crown is allowed to move under water, there is a greater chance of water ingression.

2) Improved durability of the water resistance due to wear - the annular sealing of a nonscrew-down crown is subject to wear when the crown is turned as in winding and setting. The crush seal at the top of the crown sees less sliding wear when the crown is screwed down as it is in contact with the case tube for a quarter turn or less. This means it will last much longer.

3) Improved water resistance capacity - The annular seals in a nonscrew-down rely on the elasticity of the gasket material for the sealing compression, this will limit the maximum over-pressure the seal can withstand. A crush seal will be able to deal with higher overpressures.

4) Stronger crown - there are many things that can snag a watch crown, even those with guards the force required to snatch a crown and stem from a movement is less than you think, a screwed in crown will greatly reduce the possibility of crown loss.

It actually is a very good solution for the problem. It meets all of the above criteria and is relatively inexpensive to manufacture. It is not perfect, or fool-proof, but it is a good solution."

BenjaminT and Tet like this.
  11. Agentmeister4 Jun 28, 2017

I got to try on the Speedmaster and Railmaster today at the 5th Ave boutique in NYC. I have to say that in the metal booth watches are amazing. After trying both on I'm confident I made the right choice in the Speedmaster. The Railmaster is great as well and I hope I can get one later on.

McJamesT likes this.
  12. ZuluMovement Jun 29, 2017

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing in the metal. Eventually........

McJamesT likes this.
  13. ZuluMovement Jun 29, 2017

Hi. Did they have the 60th Seamaster available to view and try? I see on their invite that it states the Speedmaster and Railmaster would only be today and yesterday however there is no mention of the SM300.

Thanks.

14. McJamesT Jun 29, 2017

I am looking forward to seeing it in the metal as well, on my wrist, as I head home with it! Lots of positive reviews from people who have seen them live- excited for the call sometime this year

15. Agentmeister4 Jun 29, 2017

Unfortunately they didn't have the 60th Seamaster, just the Speedmaster and Railmaster.

16. Longbow Jun 30, 2017

Finally got all three "Trilogy" watches in my sweaty hands yesterday evening at the Hamburg OB BaselWorld highlights event. The only watch I didn't see was that tasty piece from Venice. IMG_5080.JPG
    Sorry for all the fingerprints but there were so many other sweaty paws on these things it was futile trying to keep them clean.
    I'll post some more pics later...but first off to work.

17. wkimmd Jun 30, 2017

Wow thanks for posting. I am waiting so impatiently here in San Francisco...

18. SouthernScot Jun 30, 2017

Great to see your picture, thanks. I wish there had been something in the UK but I have had to rely on pictures and people's descriptions. Still it keeps up the suspense I suppose!

19. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2017

Just confirmed this set at an AD in the UK.

Only 10 sets will make it here!

frazierspa, sensui and Tet like this.
  20. oysterholic Jun 30, 2017

Nice to see some more pictures of the trio :thumbsup:
    Are there any news regarding the availability of the watches - especially of the speedmaster?