Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Bugster987 Apr 5, 2017

This thread is starting to make me want to vomit.

I certainly hope they sell the bracelets separately. Even more after reading the last few pages.

2. speedolex Apr 5, 2017

Good post. I'm sort of the inverse- my Rolexes look smashing on steel Oyster and Jubilee bracelets, completely happy with them. Rolex designs each watch to fit one of its complimentary bracelets, they feel seamless.

But my Omega's, different story, the straps have always been a struggle. After looking forever I found a 1039 for my Ed White, but my '57 reissue came on the modern Speedmaster bracelet [I abhor it] and I had to find an 1171 instead and eventually settled on leather but nothing ever looked right, same for my base Moonwatch it looks too much like my Submariner on the 1171 and loses its NASA vibe on brown leather, very happy now that I just got the black leather Omega Rallye Strap for it.

The '17 Speedmaster LE is the first Omega I'll own where the bracelet feels like it was specifically designed for the watch and not some generic 90's steel thing that neither emotes luxury or utility. That's where Rolex nails it, Omega rarely does, their bracelets don't feel congruent with the heads most times. Like I said, the reproduction 1039 is what sold me on the 60th Anniversary Speedy, wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Cool Breeze and Cad290 like this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Apr 5, 2017

You guys are cracking me up. It's not the brand or price of the products we own that justify our existence. The size of our dongs dictate that!

micampe, pcdubc, munichblue and 4 others like this.
  4. M'Bob Apr 5, 2017

Pics or it didn't happen. On second thought...

5. speedolex Apr 5, 2017

LOL, so it was Bartzini all along.

LOL, does a 7.5" wrist correlate....never mind.

Listen, a few funny tangential posts here and there don't kill anyone and sparks some interesting discussion. Playing the troll card is a low blow, if your views don't align with mine and/or you don't want to hear opposing points of view and/or don't want a few moments of levity in your oh-so serious men's jewelry conversation please use the ignore feature, it won't hurt my feelings.

And, if you're paying attention, I'm giving my honest opinions about on-topic issues (Silver Snoopy demand, 60th Bracelet availability) and it's other posters taking it further. I merely respond to those who ask me questions. Accept my narcissism, my low self-esteem, and my opinions at face value and you'll find I'm just another Omega fan with a different view of life than yours. That should be a good thing, not a bad thing.

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 5, 2017

Point me to the ignore feature. I already looked but couldn't find it.

ps I really don't think low self esteem is your problem...

micampe, Cad290 and Bugster987 like this.
  7. arcadelt Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for bringing this up. As the owner of an Apollo 35th Anniversary Speedy it bloody well bothers me. Moreover, as the owner of the Japan Racing Dial Speedy and on behalf of those owners of original Mitsukoshi Speedmasters, and indeed the entire watch collecting community, it actually worries me.

Let's start with the latter first. The only difference between those two watches and a bog standard 3570.50 Speedmaster is the dial and the hands. As the price rises for those rare models there is always the temptation to those less scrupulous than we obviously are to create Franken watches and pass them off as the real deal to cash in on the premium price - it may not be the original modder either, but owners two or three down the line. Now I know you are thinking that replicas have been created for centuries, so let the buyer beware - but the difference in this case is that they are using OEM parts so the modded watch is indistinguishable from the original, making them very hard to authenticate unless you know how to do that. While I appreciate that makes the hunt for one so much more exciting, I could do without that excitement when thousands of dollars are changing hands.

While it is more difficult to fake the 35th Anniversary model due to the special case back, markings and documentation, this allows me to mention the lesser but more annoying issue (in my opinion) about these modded watches. I do not buy my watches so that I can attract any special attention, either on the forums or in real life (very difficult anyway given where I live), but it bothers me that those who mod these watches come onto forums showing off there new creations and strutting around like peacocks getting complements and likes, admittedly mostly by the newby fan boys. Most forums don't allow the discussions of replica or fakes, but in this case we not only allow it, but it is encouraged by the praise of other members.

Let's not kid ourselves about this, these modified watches are fakes. If you put the special hands and dial of a Mitsukoshi on an everyday Speedmaster Professional, Reference 3570.50, you have created a fake Mitsukoshi, not a Reference 3570.31. Go and frequent any of the vintage forums and watch the discussions over minute details of authenticity, provenance and value when the watch has had a redial, was over polished or had an incorrect crown fitted. Then project your mind forward another thirty years and consider how that discussion will go over one of these modded watches. I wonder how much value has been lost in the past by collectors buying faked watches when the parts were obviously not made in the same factory as the original watch - I wonder how much more value will lost when the parts were.

True collectors understand that provenance is everything.

Edited Apr 5, 2017
  8. arcadelt Apr 5, 2017

Who says? Omega didn't think so, otherwise they would have made this or a similar bracelet and put it in the box.

speedolex likes this.
  9. abrod520 Apr 5, 2017

Fair enough, and yes a Mitsukoshi or JR04 can be faked because of the standard caseback. But most of the people I've seen and met who mod their Speedmasters have been completely open about it.

10. Davidt Apr 5, 2017

This is tongue in cheek right?

Made me literally laugh out loud.

speedolex likes this.
  11. abrod520 Apr 5, 2017

That must have been pretty difficult! Not too many 1039s out there that'll fit a straight-lug case

oddboy and gemini4 like this.
  12. speedolex Apr 5, 2017

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huh? My 105.003 on a 1039 looks great. Or you're saying it doesn't?

Mach likes this.
  13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 5, 2017

It looks fine but it's not quite "correct" for the 105.003 watch case. The reason is that a 1039 measures a bit less than 19mm at its ends. Same measurement as your 19mm end links and that is considered too tight for the 19mm lugs.

The 1039 is correct for a 20mm lug such as the professional cased 105.012, 145.012 and 145.022. Does your bracket strike the inside of your watch lugs? There isn't much clearance for it to swing cleanly and not scratch the insides of the lugs.

Below are pics of a "correct" 7912 bracelet, 19mm #6 end link and a 19mm 105.003-65 lug. Notice the difference with the extra mm of clearance afforded by the more narrow bracelet.. The 7912 also is more tapered in appearance as it meets the 19mm end link.

Most purists prefer the 19mm 7912 or 1035 bracelets with the 105.003.

IMG_3462.JPG IMG_3463.JPG IMG_3464.JPG

Cool Breeze, oddboy, pcdubc and 3 others like this.
  14. Meme-Dweller Apr 5, 2017

^ That's what the FOIS reeditition should've looked like, not the bracelet-less alpha-handed sapphire meme we got

Cool Breeze and speedolex like this.
  15. Kazyole Apr 5, 2017

With the (presumably) overwhelming success of the 60th anniversary re-issues, hopefully omega learns that lesson for future re-issues.

Took them a few tries to nail the '57 speedy. Maybe they'll take another shot at the FOIS

Meme-Dweller likes this.
  16. M'Bob Apr 5, 2017

Have a watchmaker re-finish the bracelet to original spec.; it will look better.

17. Ree Apr 5, 2017

By the way. Before buying any of those limited editions (Japan LE, Mitsukoshi, etc), I strongly suggest taking note of the serial number and asking it to Omega; to see whether it corresponds to the correct reference number. Despite having papers whatsoever, I've always done this with purchases.

arcadelt likes this.
  18. arcadelt Apr 5, 2017

100% agree. Unfortunately, some sellers refuse to give out the serial number citing concerns that scammers or fakers are attempting to get those for nefarious reasons. Also, the delay in getting a response can sometimes make the difference between losing or securing a hard-to-source watch.

19. speedolex Apr 5, 2017

[​IMG]

Thanks, but I'm so focused on the 60th Speedmaster right now I have no patience for the 321.

The anticipation of a new watch is always the best part. I want to enjoy this.

rominvicta and Mach like this.
  20. speedolex Apr 5, 2017

[​IMG]

Speedy '57, nailed.

KstateSkier, Kazyole and Mach like this.