Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. micampe Mar 31, 2017

it’s not unheard of for grey market dealers to accept orders for limited editions and then cancel them months later when they can’t get them. It’s a gamble.

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 1, 2017

Ok guys, so I return from a (as usual) nice and friendly visit with the Omega folks at the flagship store (Zurich) and the only news is that : demand for the Trilogy reeditions is crazy high. These guys are still getting calls from all over the world. Chances of getting a reservation for any of the three now are close to zero. Sure, final allocations are yet to be done, but the waiting lists are loooooooooooooong. They will put your name on said waiting list, but they will not take your money, as, and I quote 'hope is small'. So it would appear that unless one was an early bird last week...that's pretty much it. I am not saying it's impossible, but it would appear so.

3. zinzan8 Apr 1, 2017

I don't doubt they told you that, but I doubt chances of getting a reservation worldwide is "close to zero". I heard that exact phrase from my Omega Boutique last summer in regards to the CK2998.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 1, 2017

...but that was the ck2998 (navy and white) reinterpretation, not reissue. Saw one of those today in the Omega store (not 'for sale' at AuthenticWatches). Anyhoo...

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 1, 2017

What else would they say?

" of course you can reserve one. We only have 3446 left unallocated. "

:D

6. demchocholips Apr 1, 2017

Why would the store willingly turn away customers ready to put down money if it knew it could fulfill the orders? The Zurich store has no incentive to mislead customers this way. It could be that corporate is instructing stores to stop taking orders.

7. Meme-Dweller Apr 1, 2017

It's a common method to hype up the demand. Apple used to let hundreds of people line up at a store even though they didn't have the iPhones to meet demand.

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 1, 2017

Omega themselves use Aqua Terra in the name on the web page for it.

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 1, 2017

Omega's business model is selling watches, so it would be surprising if they turned people away unnecessarily. Nowday's everyone is connected via the www (including them) and using sophisticated tools (for the '57 reissues they scanned the original watches generating 3D CAD models for the new ones PLUS their METAS setup is pretty darned neat (https://monochrome-watches.com/inside-omega-master-chronometer-facilities-video-documentary/ ) -> its conceivable that they have software in house that, across all dealers/boutiques e a s i l y allows for the allocation/virtual distribution of non-existant-but-known-amount-of-stock-to-be, in real-time, up until the point where its all gone. If its all gone, and they want to shift the 'instantaneous demand distribution' so to speak because of 'X special clients (like kingofdhaka) that now suddenly want a watch' or they want to even things out across the globe once they hype is done, and thus leave it up to people to decide who to make happy on which boutiques list, then it might take a while until 'allocation is known'...and I think that friends, is where we are at.

But I might be wrong :) Just rattling out some logic...

Edited Apr 1, 2017
  10. blokk Apr 1, 2017

I was at the Zurich store and got the same message. It was long enough that they didn't offer to put my name on the list. Probably they know their allocation already?

11. zinzan8 Apr 1, 2017

Don't get me wrong--I think Omega will sell plenty of these watches. But controlling the release flow and hyping pre sales is something they do. They will sell less of some watches than they can just as Rolex sells less of some watches than they can, because of other long-term profit and image goals, etc.

But for members on this forum, with cash on hand and a desire to purchase, I think they will have a greater than near zero chance of success at obtaining one of these from Boutique or AD.

12. alam Apr 1, 2017

ah! there's hope for my $avings to grow without investing on these watches...:D

eugeneandresson likes this.
  13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 1, 2017

...until the next massive electromagnetic event that penetrates the earths magnetic field and corrupts all hard drives (coz all our 'money' does not actually exist) ... in which case some people will have no savings, and others will have these watches :D

14. MCG555 Apr 1, 2017

There will be a next one. Latest next year, but probably before! ;)

15. Mach Apr 1, 2017

Update - Once again, I called my AD on Wednesday, March 22nd, immediately after I saw the announcement for the 1957 LE Speedmaster. I visited the AD the following Saturday. As stated by others on this forum, they wanted 100% deposit. I asked if this was their policy or if this was Omega's policy. They stated it was their policy. When I asked why, they stated that they were only getting 2 of the individual pieces and wanted to guarantee me the watch. I responded by asked why can't I leave 20%, 30%, or even 50%. Needless to say, I left without giving them the full deposit.

I walked over to another AD a few miles down the road. The sales associate I spoke with knew nothing about the watch, which I expect. Not all sale associates are truly passionate about their products. After providing him with my contact info, he stated that he would get back to me on the following Monday. Monday came and went with no call. I called on Tuesday and all I got was, "You're who? We spoke on Saturday? This is in regards to an Omega?" I hung up in disgust. I lost hope . . .

Then, I forgot there was an AD in my "backyard" that carried Omega. Not having much hope, I stopped by on Tuesday evening and spoke with a lady who was not their watch expert. She really didn't know what I was talking about. She took my info and said that she would have him call on Wednesday. I left with not much hope. But, to my surprise, he called me on Wednesday. I drove over there and had a pleasant conversation. He was surprised that I knew it was $7,250 with a June delivery. He wanted to confirm with the Omega rep, who was in Basel, before he took my deposit. He stated that he would require 50% deposit, which I thought was reasonable in the big scheme of things - this is my first time acquiring a LE watch.

He called me last Thursday to confirm the price and I made my deposit! He stated that this AD is getting 1 Trilogy Set and 5 Speedmasters. This is my first watch acquisition since 2007. So, I'm pretty excited. My advise - don't worry about what you're reading about on the internet about the demand. Be persistent and keep calling ADs. You may just have one or two or three pieces for your wrist this summer!

Good hunting!

Mark

adam78, niko4891, jcs2000 and 8 others like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 1, 2017

When was the last one ::confused2::

17. M'Bob Apr 1, 2017

If you have to ask...

18. speedolex Apr 1, 2017

My Omega Boutique in the NYC area took a 30% deposit for a first-week delivery, even offered me the option to choose my own serial number.

It seems it all depends on which AD you speak to.

19. rominvicta Apr 1, 2017

Exactly, what @oddboy said. They don't have them in stock. Once they get 100% deposit will start trying to provide and in case of failure will return deposit. Mean while allocation will be complete and one will get his deposit bare-handed. Good luck.

20. rominvicta Apr 1, 2017

Cause they create hype by just doing so. They are sure that in a couple of months sales would be complete.