Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. SouthernScot Mar 27, 2017

This forum is seriously bad for your wealth! I am a new member and if you see my introduction on Forum News and Member support you will see that I did not actually buy any of my three watches (I have bought for close family!). Since finding the forum I have tried to get a reservation for a ST and failed, I am on the waiting list but don't believe that will result in a watch, especially after the email from Omega. However I have now ordered the 60th Aniversary Speedmaster from my AD in Winchester. Their allocation is only two and my name is on one of them! No deposit was required, but I have dealt with them in the past, perhaps that makes a difference?

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 27, 2017

@hundredwaters according to moonwatchonly, the company who originally made the dials pinned the browning down to a clear protective coat of varying quality (i.e. in the old days quality control was not so good, and neither was the technology). Those batches of dials that got the poor quality coating are the ones which deteriorated and thus oxidized (and that also varies depending on how bad the bad quality ones were :) ). My speculation would be that Omega would have their tech 'dialed' (pun intended) now days...

Edited Mar 27, 2017
  3. rominvicta Mar 27, 2017

Hi Alex,
    Appreciated!

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 27, 2017

Sacrilege

drhex and sensui like this.
  5. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

Interesting... anyone have an impression of the faux vintage look in person or owned and got tired (or not) of other faux vintage pieces such as from JLC?

6. Richmortrd Mar 27, 2017

I am thinking the high deposit amount required by some is their way to be sure the buyer really wants the set and not to flip for quick profit.

7. Meme-Dweller Mar 27, 2017

I have it on my SM300 MC and I don't really notice it unless I read about it and remember it has it. The photos make it look more noticeable than it actually is IRL.

image.jpeg
    Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. M'Bob Mar 27, 2017

Per your suggestion, I tried these under a strong UV exposure, but they developed only a minor brownish patina.
    image.jpeg

thogi, flw, nixf6 and 2 others like this.
  9. imagwai Mar 27, 2017

Just added my name to the waiting list at a UK OB. No deposits being taken (as they don't know how many they'll be allocated) but people will be called in order of signing up and given a short window to purchase.

10. tony22 Mar 27, 2017

I guess I picked the wrong time to revive my Omega lust. :)

11. demchocholips Mar 27, 2017

Did you get email from the OB or from Omega? I put 100% deposit down on the Speedy on the first day. However, I haven't received any email from Omega. My OB says that I should get confirmation of the reservation and LE number in the next two weeks.

12. Kazyole Mar 27, 2017

Both were from the rep at the OB (NYC, 5th ave), and they're mailing me a physical receipt for the purchase

13. BLAUGRANA Mar 27, 2017

I have three watches. A JLC Thin Tribute to 1931 Reverso (Casa Fagliano strap and syringe hands), steel Geophysic 1958 and a FOIS. I really like the tribute watches (not all mind you) because they look like watches from say the 50s. The majority of modern watches don't do it for me from a design perspective. Take Rolex for example. I think Rolex is great because in a lot of cases they haven't diverged from their original designs a whole lot over the course of say fifty years depending on the model. Still the current iterations keep growing one way or the other with either case design, size or the maxi dials. For me none of them look as appealing as the previous generation. Submariner, GMT, Explorer, Explorer II... In fact in some cases they look pretty bad like the current Explorer II (though the GMT and Sub aren't bad). And I've seen comments online about getting an Explorer I over a Railmaster for example. No way I'd get a 39mm Explorer I. That watch was perfectly sized at 36mm and I have a very average 7" wrist. Back to the point though, I generally prefer the look of tribute pieces to newer models that are being made today.

So in my case I have two watches with faux aged lume in the Reverso and the Geophysic. In both cases the intent was to give the watch a more vintage or aged look. Yet knowing that and looking at them they also look like design elements that work with both watches. The markers on the Reverso to me look more a design choice than a purposeful attempt to make them look aged. While the on the Geophysic it's less so, it's still a very nominal difference. I'd add that it simply looks like they opted for a more yellow colored lume than say a green colored lume. I also swapped out the strap to the Geophysic to a dark navy alligator and so the yellow of the lume matches that much better and again looks like a design element in the end.

While I've read cases for just getting an original vintage piece, that for me has it's issues. For starters, I looked up an orginal Railmaster just the other day and I think I found what was an original reference from a know dealer. If I recall correctly the watch was $26,000. For that price you could get all three anniversary editions and still have money left over for another really nice watch. The other catch with vintage for me would be is the watch 100% original? How does it run? Do I want to wear it around all the time? What is the aesthetic condition? I was recently told by someone that they sold their Geophysic 1958 for an original Geophysic. They also said they were having issues with the original running properly.

I think I read a comment by Robert Jan Broer about how the faux aged lume fits this new release and he said something like "imagine it with white lume?" I think that comment is spot on. I'd even expand on it and say imagine the watch in say thirty years after you lived with it and the watch has taken some knocks but the lume looks like it did from day one. For me it'd probably look like a vintage watch that's been re-lumed looks today, not very good.

I'm not a big fan of lume in general. I understand it on watch, but I don't get excited over seeing a lumed up watch on Instagram and I rarely if ever am in a situation where I need to use it. For me a watch looks it's best in natural daylight.

I also don't get the argument about it being fake aged when how often do you read comments like "I love vintage because it had this life to it before I owned it and if only this watch could tell stories..."? Well at the end of the day in most cases you don't know what those stories are. On top of that though now the watches stories are you wearing it to Starbucks? But hey, it's vintage, right?

At the end of the day it's down to one's personal opinion about faux aged lume. While I do question it myself a bit at times, I tend to look at it as being able to get something you seemingly won't get anymore and so as the watch ages with you it will look better down the road.

Watchmutt, autumnwind and Kazyole like this.
  14. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

Are these organic? They look like too modern and oversized...

KstateSkier and arcadelt like this.
  15. corn18 Mar 27, 2017

redial

KstateSkier likes this.
  16. dax774 Mar 27, 2017

Just got the email from my OB confirming deposit with corporate and I already have the receipt as I went in person. I guess now the waiting game begins. Hopefully we will get an email from corporate confirming our number. Very excited to see this one in the metal.

Edited Mar 27, 2017
  17. LeoneFM Mar 27, 2017

When will they deliver?

18. korneevy Mar 27, 2017

I think partly the reason for the whole "faux" lume discussion is the use of word "faux". It is not faux lume. It was not aged artificially. No one is lying to anybody by calling it "tritium". It simply is a normal modern lume with additional pigment to make it look brown/yellow when uncharged. I really don't get people who get worked up about this stuff. You like your lume white? There are millions of options out there. Fancy blue? There is a watch out there for that, I am sure...Prefer yellow? Buy one of these re-editions, after all if you are after the look of vintage piece and want reliability and modern tech, that's the way to go. I had a Rolex 1680 for a few years, loved the look but man was it a cra..p construction and built quality, rattling cheap bracelet, wonky bezel, hands that at one point simply fell out due to age, waterproof to zero meters, rusty etc etc., sure there is some charm to it but if you hold it next to a modern example, you understand right away how far the tech and manufacturing has gone in past 30-40 years. After spending $2K on all sorts of fixes on that watch, I've moved on and that's probably the last true vintage piece for me, just too much hassle and expense, specially if you live far from any major watchmaking capitals and have only a few options as to independent quality service.

Edited Mar 27, 2017
  19. dax774 Mar 27, 2017

Was quoted estimated June delivery. Hopefully that will be the case.

20. FlyingTiger Mar 27, 2017

Add-On : Dial and bezel are made out of blue ceramic

L1100364-Omega-Booth-Baselworld-2017.jpg

Regards,
    Alexander

Rodmar, hansmaulwurf and rominvicta like this.