Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. korneevy Mar 26, 2017

Prob cause I was calling them to check... pretty sure if I am to turn up in person, Visa on my hand, they could do even less than 30%

2. Kazyole Mar 26, 2017

Oooof, that box is lovely.

3. dethree Mar 26, 2017

I emailed OB Sydney about putting down deposit for one of the Anniversary model, and below was their response. It seems that I need to know the right people to get the watch, or they just copy and paste their response template cause people are waiting for this release since last year. :D

'Thank you for your interest in the Railmaster 60th anniversary edition from OMEGA BASELWORLD 2017 collections.

Due to the high demands and limited availability of this reference, we are still finalising allocation for the reference. Please understand that the waiting list for this watch has already begun as far back as last year and the number of clients on the waiting list already exceeding number of watches we are allocated with.

We have added you on the contact list and we will be constantly updating the list to inform you if a reference becomes available.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.'

4. BLAUGRANA Mar 27, 2017

Can anyone confirm if the deposit is refundable? Also, any idea on how each model is selling? Sounds like the Speedy is selling the best, followed by the Seamaster and then the Railmaster.

I'm really torn. I can afford all three (though I shouldn't by buying all three). I just got a FOIS though, which I LOVE, and so another Speedmaster seems somewhat redundant. Railmaster looks amazing and tops my list. Seamaster would be my first diver. Decisions, decisions.

My collection is a Thin Tribute to 1931 Reverso (Casa Fagliano with syringe hands), Geophysic 1958 tribute in steel and the FOIS. As you can see I like vintage inspired pieces. Also on the want list are a Pepsi GMT, 14060 or 14060m Submariner and a JLC Tribute to Deep Sea chronograph. I'd be open to suggestions which is why I've shared that.

5. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

Quick unrelated question...

Can anyone speculate how the dial of the 60th Speedmaster will look after many years in the sun...? Is it likely to age much the same as the original model or are these different pigments that are either more inert and could become more white or bleached rather than more brown? While I have one purchased, I do wish the aged lume was a bit closer to white. I was contemplating what it would be like to expose this initially to UV for a while so it gets some real patina rather than just fake patina.

6. arcadelt Mar 27, 2017

It would very much depend on the rules of the retailer and the consumer laws in your country.

7. demchocholips Mar 27, 2017

Modern lume does not age like the radium or tritium of yesteryear. The modern stuff will just look the same as new.

8. FlyingTiger Mar 27, 2017

Hi, just found your post and I would like to provide a few more details, since I have been in the Omega Boutique last weekend.

Case : Steel or Yellow Gold
    Size : 42mm
    Waterproof : 50m
    Movement : 1861
    Power reserve : 40 Hours
    Special : Limited in Steel to 1972 pieces and in Yellow Gold to 72
    Cost : Around 5800 Euro for the version in Steel and 18.000 Euro for the version in Yellow Gold

In case you would like to read more (unfortunately only in German available) : https://uhrforum.de/baselworld-2017-omega-t301367

Cheers,
    Alexander

dialstatic likes this.
  9. Meme-Dweller Mar 27, 2017

Only the OBs in the USA are requiring the 100% deposit. Pretty lame if you ask me.

watchme likes this.
  10. waterproofpt Mar 27, 2017

Vancouver (Canada) OB is asking the same. 100%.

11. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Does that include the painted face? Maybe for aesthetic my future 60th Speedmaster would do well to go on a few rounds of Spec-X flights and get exposed to some ionizing radiation...?

12. Davidt Mar 27, 2017

How is patina acquired by putting it under a uv lamp any different to fake patina?

13. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

more effort is involved

14. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

not to be snarky...

oxidation is different from tint and hopefully will look less artificial, which is the issue i have with fake patina and why i don't like faux anything...

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 27, 2017

Wrap it in a tea towel and 25 minutes in a microwave does the same :)

16. Davidt Mar 27, 2017

But that's the point. It is still fake. It's not been acquired over time. It would still be completely artificial.

17. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

oxidation is oxidation and sun damage is sun damage.

watches that are too aged and too worn have diminished value as well, meaning to me that its not specific age that is important but that many things that are too new or have too much luster and not enough "hand" or mark of human manufacturing/interaction tend to have less appeal... its seems to have to do with something looking organic and warm versus synthetic and cold...?

these are aesthetic issues are largely subjective and hard to define, but definitely appear to be shared by many people... perhaps this is the reason the Danish modern designers often used (and still use) undyed leather that quickly ages and develops a patina and why they finish some wood with soap..

18. hundredwaters Mar 27, 2017

i get the same response to old high-quality drawn cartoons versus most examples i know of of computer animation, with the latter often looking less appealing to me

19. dialstatic Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for posting this! Cool - an actually somewhat limited LE with a meaningful number to boot. I'm liking this one more and more.

20. Meanjohnbrown Mar 27, 2017

Has anyone put a deposit down in the U.K?

I have spoken to a couple of OBs who will take down phone numbers but that is it. There is no deposit system or formal acknowledgment of interest. Basically they say they will call u when a watch turns up.

It all seems pretty haphazard and a recipe for disappointment......

Richmortrd likes this.