Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Meme-Dweller Mar 27, 2017

Kind of odd to have a racing-themed chapter ring and then some Greek or Roman dude lookin' all emo on the 9 o'clock subdial.

LouS, Traveler and rominvicta like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2017

But it is pretending to be something it is not: old.

Beige lume (let's face it it's beige) isn't used on strikingly modern pieces for funky colour contest purposes, it's used exclusively so at first glance your shallow co worker thinks you dropped £20k on an antique 60s piece. Would you prefer the more accurate description 'faux aged lume' because that is what it is. It is homage, which from one POV is the first baby step on the slippery slope to fakery.

3. korneevy Mar 28, 2017

I don't read "beige" as "forgery". I read it as a design choice with a nod to vintage. And let's face it - no one CARES about the lume colour of your dial in outside world. The only people who care are here, and they know perfectly well that this ain't vintage. Anyway, that's just my opinion, so may be we can agree to disagree on this one. Still, a hell of the watch this Speedy is...

drhex, BLAUGRANA, munichblue and 4 others like this.
  4. arcadelt Mar 28, 2017

Can modern lume materials age (develop a patina if you peter) like the old stuff did, or have they developed them to the point that they now last and will always be the colour when originally applied? Same goes for other elements like the dial paint?

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2017

Why did they stop with the lume? If they really wanted to reference the 50s pieces as they are now perhaps banged up bezels, flaking dials and scratched crystals should have been recreated too. If you think about it, the lume is the only faux aged part, everything else nods towards how the pieces looked in 1957 when brand new. That inconsistency jars with me and maybe many others hence the comments.

6. korneevy Mar 28, 2017

Siperluminova doesn't age, so it will look as new in 20-30-40 years down the track. The dial making tech is MUCH better now so in theory there should be no cracking or discolouring but I am sure some pieces will develop that, either due to manufacturing defects or because of damage (micro scratches on dial surface, removing protective coating in some places, etc).

7. rominvicta Mar 28, 2017

The Dude you are talking about had his step on the Moon itself, so why not be on a ceramic subdial?

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2017

Apollo the bringer of light and god of the sun? Or did you think it was a bad likeness of Gene Cernan?

ConElPueblo and Traveler like this.
  9. demchocholips Mar 28, 2017

The watch commemorates the Apollo 17 mission, the last of the Apollo missions, hence Apollo's mug on the dial. Gene Cernan was an astronaut on the mission, and the last man to set foot on the moon, but he doesn't have his face on any watches.

rominvicta likes this.
  10. arcadelt Mar 28, 2017

Thanks for that information.

So I suppose that means the choice of a coloured lume and slightly off-black dial is actually the only way that anyone could get that vintage look on any watch because it isn't going to happen on its own. I guess I'm happy with that choice.

Reminds me a lot of the so-called "dirty lume" that was introduced on Panerai watches a few years back.

11. FlyingTiger Mar 28, 2017

12. micampe Mar 28, 2017

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thogi, munichblue, sensui and 7 others like this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2017

Yes truly very nice, though you don't see Speedmasters and Seamster 300s in quite that good condition in the main, the bezels are often damaged. I wasn't being completely serious, I don't really expect them to remake damaged parts but it is an inconsistency, discordancy even in my mind with the new releases. The pink/brown lume on the new ones is in effect fake damage/patina.

14. Davidt Mar 28, 2017

I don't buy the whole 'superluminova doesn't age, and will look bright white in 50 years' line.

100 year old ceramic tiles, antique glass, everything ages to a degree. It might not turn a dark orange colour, but I can't see it being a smooth, consistent bright white in 50 years time.

The late 90's Seamasters already have a slight tinge to their markers.

15. nixf6 Mar 28, 2017

Lucky they left out the Tees on each side of SWISS MADE.
    The aged loom looks great.It puts a warmth to all three watches.

arcadelt likes this.
  16. LeoneFM Mar 28, 2017

Thank you :)

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2017

The Seamaster Pro models such as the Bond SMP made from 1993-1997 used tritium so of course will age and lose luminosity. Those produced from 1997 onwards show very little if any change whatsoever over brand new so I am not persuaded that S-L changes in any meaningful way over the short to medium term, perhaps a very slight shift from green to grey on a few examples I have seen. It is not widely realised that there are many skeleton hands SMPs out there with fading tritium dials, only problem is the hands never seem to change colour as much so many look mismatched when in fact perfectly straight. The early dials don't have the T's which can make people think they all have S-L. They don't.

Edited Mar 28, 2017
    ConElPueblo and Cad290 like this.
  18. dialstatic Mar 28, 2017

Exactly this. Thank you. No one has ever called my curtains faux vintage, even though they're the exact same shade. In the end, it's just a color that you either like or not. Sure, it is reminiscent of patinated tritium, and they make it that way because people seem to enjoy that color. Nothing fake or faux about it, IMO.

19. Baz9614 Mar 28, 2017

What a beautiful example ! :thumbsup:

20. Davidt Mar 28, 2017

Yes I believe the SL and tritium dials can be distinguished by some if the fonts. The SL dials having the longer F on ft.

I guess we'll just have to wait another 30 or so years to see how SL changes over time ;)

speedydownunder and padders like this.