Forums Latest Members
  1. Max-pulses Apr 2, 2020

Hi everyone,
    I am Max, a newcomer here since I signed up last night.
    I am a french guy who is looking up for a nice vintage speedmaster. As I do not have a big budget, a chose to focus on the 145 022 reference.

I red many things on Speedmaster101, from which I learned a lot (many thanks to the one who owns this site by the way!)

And here I am ! With a speedy on the net which is a bit rusty in some ways (paintings faded on the dials, many scratches on the case and bezel), but with a pleasing patina I think. The guy asks about 4200 euros (sheeping included) for a 145 022 - 74ST reference with the serial 313xxx which seems to match with each other.

A service was performed in early 2019, but the guy does not have any bill, so no proof of it, but he sent me a photo of the pieces that have been changed by the watchmaker (the spring is part of it). No extract from the Omega archives either.

I need your help to define whether it is a good watch or not. It is a watch I will keep for life, so I do not want to be frustrated in the future if I know I've been tricked...

Thanks a lot for your help ! s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (12).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg
    Max.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 2, 2020

It’s a honest watch, looks original to me. Those hands have been treated bad though :confused:

Do you like it, Max?

Is this the first vintage Speedmaster that matches your budget or do you think this is the opportunity you shouldn’t miss among everything you’ve assessed so far?

3. MTROIS Apr 2, 2020

How much is the asking price, STP?
    - Nevermind... just saw the asking price at €4,200.

I take it you are specifically looking for an older / vintage watch?

I find this one a bit expensive for its condition and no bracelet...

NVWC, Foo2rama and wsfarrell like this.
  4. apsm100 applysome! Apr 2, 2020

It looks all correct but the price is a little high, looking at the Speedmaster101 price chart. You would expect a very good condition -74 for the asking and this one is fair to me given the overpolished case, damaged hands, and unattractive lume.

5. Max-pulses Apr 2, 2020

Thank you everyone ! I did not expect you would answer me so quickly !

@kov this watch looks good to me, the price could match with my budget (4000 maximum)
    @mitrois I am into vintage 100% +++ I do not get attracted by new things :)
    @apsm (and the others) do you think I should negociate this one ? How much lower should I suggest to the seller ?

6. Max-pulses Apr 2, 2020

@kov yes it is the most -in my budget- watch that I have seen so far, but I have not been searching for long, and I can see that many watches are really overpriced (especially ones from the 90's, that cost as much as this one...)

7. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 2, 2020

What if we say no? Will you buy it and feel comfortable as you can simply blame OF for bad advice in case you realize you overpaid, later?

You’ve got a feeling of two members who think it is expensive. Have a try, negotiate and see : best case you’ll get it cheaper. But you won’t get it cheaper because somebody on OF told it’s too expensive :)

Sometimes it’s tricky to apply others’ opinions to what you want. If you ask me, I would rather have a nice watch from the nineties than an average to bad watch from mid seventies. Seventies models have nothing special and aren’t any better than the same Speedmaster from the eighties or very early 90s imo. I personally would never buy that -74 as it doesn’t fit my quality standards but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t if you like it and if you have the feeling you’ve researched enough and to think this is the one :thumbsup:

loniscup, queriver, blubarb and 5 others like this.
  8. apsm100 applysome! Apr 2, 2020

I agree with @kov but given that you have a healthy budget I would wait it out for a better example. Maybe even a nice -71 with step dial. For the watch here I wouldn't want to pay over 3000 euros.

MTROIS likes this.
  9. Max-pulses Apr 2, 2020

I would not blame OF for giving "bad" advices. Paying for a watch or another is my decision, not anyone else of course. I am just looking for a general feeling, because I do not pretend to know everything about Speedmasters, I prefer having some advices from ones who have had experiences about these watches in the past.
    I will think about it, there's no hurry

Observer, OMEGuy, MTROIS and 2 others like this.
  10. Albe100 Apr 2, 2020

I have to agree with some of the comments. For that price, you can find something in better condition, and if it's patina and tritium you are looking for, and not necessarily a 1974 serial number, then buy something from the 80/90's as suggested above.

But this is all personal opinion, and if the watch speaks to you and you feel you want it, and will be happy with it, even after that initial honeymoon phase of the arrival of a new watch, then go for it.

either way, good luck and welcome to the forum and speedmaster family!(almost0

11. khanmu Apr 2, 2020

As others have said, and as I’ve learnt over the years, unless it’s a real true bargain or you desperately need to buy, then it is worth being patient and keep looking. There will always be a nicer watch that eventually appears, a quick look at eBay showed this example, which at initial glance seems nice. A bit higher than your budget but worth making an offer (I have no connection to the seller) as it looks like a nicer one than you are looking at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sp...442845&hash=item2f4038e9ad:g:xN4AAOSwJgxefOtBPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Good luck!

12. apsm100 applysome! Apr 2, 2020

Hmm 90's dial though?

kov likes this.
  13. khanmu Apr 2, 2020

Is it really? I did say initial glance... I suppose it means one could make a bigger discounted offer then!

14. apsm100 applysome! Apr 2, 2020

Very discounted :(

15. cristos71 Apr 2, 2020

This is not a watch that I would buy unless it was very cheap. It looks like it has been ridden pretty hard over the years and the case/case back corrosion is really off putting.

I advise you not to be too believing regarding the claims of service unless you actually know the seller or he comes with a sterling reputation, many a watch noob has been badly burned listening to a sellers claims and it is always wise to at least factor a potential service in when thinking about making a purchase.

I'd keep looking, there are thousands of 70's Speedmasters out there in way better condition than this one, keep your cash in your pocket but be ready when one pops up

rcs914, kov, queriver and 3 others like this.
  16. Purple Art Apr 2, 2020

I would be suspicious of the fact that all the photos show the chrono hand at about the 5 second marker, hiding (or the result of) chrono creep and the need of a service.

17. OMEGuy Apr 2, 2020

Nothing about this watch looks appealing to me.

blubarb likes this.
  18. Caliber561 Apr 2, 2020

Chrono creep doesn't affect the sweep hand, only the hour recorder, ergo, this is not chrono creep.
    I would be more concerned about the pitting and poor condition vs relatively high price as mentioned by other members.

apsm100 likes this.
  19. Purple Art Apr 2, 2020

Good point, I should know that having just sorted it out on one of my watches! Apologies for the mis-information I really must pay more attention.

20. Max-pulses Apr 2, 2020

He put the chrono dial out of the middle so we can check the omega inscription

apsm100 likes this.