Forums Latest Members

New to the forum in need of some advice (Speedmaster Reduced)

1. The Champ Jun 11, 2020

Hi all, been lurking for a while and used various threads for information when researching pieces but only just now joined as I wanted some advice from the forum on an issue I have.

Apologies if this is not the correct forum to post in or protocol when needing help, but I couldn't see anything in the sticky threads to say otherwise. If this shouldn't be here then by all means please move to the relevant area thanks.

I'm relatively new to watch collecting, and tend to only buy watches I like as opposed to for any investment opportunity.

I've bought a few older Omegas and love each of them but have recently acquired a Speedmaster Reduced from a seller on Ebay/Internet (I wont mention them just in case, but I had found a thread on here about them previously)

I've had the watch since mid April but due to the lockdown have only really worn it a couple of times. This week I've noticed that the watch is not 'holding a charge' for want of a better expression, once taken off, the watch stops after a couple of minutes, I've hand wound it to get it re-started, worn on the wrist for a full day and also used a Wolf watch winder at other time, but the problem still persists.

The strange bit for me though is that if I start the chronograph running then the watch works perfectly (has been running fine all day), if I stop it then the watch stops after a couple of minutes, obviously this cant be right and I don't want to have to run the chronograph permanently as I hear this isn't great for the watch. I'm awaiting a response from the vendor as it was claimed to have been serviced prior to selling, but I wanted to see what the good people on this forum had to say about this issue. Is it a common fault or am I doing something wrong? I am new to this game and apologies if I have used some wrong terminology, I just to ensure that I've not got a dud on my hands

Many thanks

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 11, 2020

Unless proof of service is supplied at sale, always assume it isn't. Do you know what movement is in it?

3. The Champ Jun 11, 2020

The listing stated
    MPN 3510.50.00
    Caliber 1143

Sorry I'm not au fait with these things

4. MRC Jun 11, 2020

The Dubois-Dépraz 2020 chronograph module is fully jewelled, so should be no problem leaving the chrono running (provided it actually has been properly checked and lubed). However you still need to get the base movement checked over. It's based on the ETA 2890-A2 and is well known and normally reliable. Make sure you're sitting down when you phone for a quote on a full service :eek:

That's the way to do it!

Welcome.

P9080309m.JPG

Edited Jun 11, 2020
    Manny1979, apsm100 and The Champ like this.
  5. The Champ Jun 11, 2020

Many thanks for the response, that's good to know, would still like to get the vendor to sort it as none of my other Chronographs have this issue.

I'm assuming it's around the £500-600 mark?

6. MRC Jun 11, 2020

Getting mine done cost £379 in 2016 -- no issues or replacement parts needed. Mark Lovik, that watchmaker, doesn't do servicing any longer it seems, preferring to concentrate on his training courses & videos. But there's a goodly number of recommendations for UK watchmakers with solid Omega credentials to be found in these threads.

The Champ likes this.
  7. The Champ Jun 11, 2020

I contacted one listed on here in Hockley and was quoted £475 for full service

8. MRC Jun 11, 2020

So that's STS, yes? I have never used them but a good number of people here have and reported very favourably. Or are you in Brummagem? If so that would be Michael Allen of whom I know nothing apart from his website.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 11, 2020

I am sure he means STS. A quick search On M Allen threw up this rather old but still worrying thread:

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/legal-position-over-watch-scam.131645/

10. The Champ Jun 12, 2020

Yes looking at the email it was STS