Forums Latest Members
  1. Kevinmck Apr 29, 2018

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum. I'm overwhelmed that it exists and I have been scrolling for hours reading through various threads digesting information like it's candy. It's an incredible resource and I'm grateful for the acceptance.

I'm a recent enthusiast, my collection is small but diverse but always items of substance.
    I'm currently trying to purchase my first vintage omega, a relatively cheap seamaster as things go. But it's still a chunk of change for me. And I would hate to shell out only to be caught out by my lack of experience. I'm hoping that some wise watchers might weigh in on my choice and advice if I'm a fool, and how much an expert would consider shelling out for the same item.
    The item under consideration is :
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Om...?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10&_mwBanner=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

But I am also thinking of picking up this simple beauty:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sample-title/222951301818?pb=0&du=1&ebay-mobile-status=successPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    (For no other reason than its incredibly simple face appeals to me-it would like sit on a shelf peaking out at me)

I would appreciate that if anyone wants to weigh in on the selection that while offering a critique that they also offer the points for which they reject/accept the piece so that going forward I can apply the same methodical thinking to future potential purchases.
    Thanks all,
    Kevin.

2. Edward53 Apr 29, 2018

Welcome Kevin. I can't see anything wrong with that dial on that first watch. Always check out the case ref. number, which here usually seems to be Seamaster 600s or De Villes, so you'd need to do a search for examples with just plain Seamaster on the dial. However this is potentially a good, safe choice. Edited To Add: an image search for this case ref. seems to show only 600s or DVs, so tread warily and seek further advice.

I would incline to give the second one a miss. My gut instinct says it's a redial, a very good one but it looks too clean to be true, 99% of black dials are redials and it's in South America where a lot of dodgy watches come from (or just fail to turn up...). And I don't care for the M in Automatic or the placement of Swiss Made.

Edited Apr 29, 2018
    Dan S likes this.
  3. Kevinmck Apr 29, 2018

Edward,
    Thanks for the response and input. Could you explain why the black dials may more likely be redials. That to me is quite interesting.

4. billythekid Apr 29, 2018

hi, re black dial . it looks to new. it has no patina. also, it looks like the x hair is not central to the dial..

5. Edward53 Apr 29, 2018

It's called the Don Draper Effect. He wore one in the TV series Mad Men and now everybody thinks it's cool to get one. In the 60s black dials were very much in the minority and now people are redialling tired regular dials to meet the demand.

All somewhat ironic considering that the one featured in Mad Men is apparently a redial....:unsure:

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 29, 2018

Black dials were not as popular back in the 1950’s and ‘60’s as they are today.

Uninformed buyers think that 60 year old watches that were used every day should look brand new. Sellers cater to this demand by overpolishing cases to mirror finishes which they never had and repainting dials in colors that never existed.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S Apr 29, 2018

The OVD lists this ref as a Seamaster, so it's probably correct: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-600-st-135-0011

Keep in mind that the cal 601 manual-winding Seamaster watches are not as desirable as the automatic (e.g. cal 56x) and can be readily found for quite a bit less. Even at $600usd the seller would be doing well.

Kevinmck and Edward53 like this.
  8. Kevinmck Apr 29, 2018

Hi guys, everyone who has commented. Thank you all for your input. I'm going to hold off on the purchase and do my darnest to read everything on this forum before I make an educated purchase(years away I'd say) but just to say I'm overwhelmed at the genuine effort all of you have put into responding to a complete stranger. It's a wonderfully welcoming forum and it's amazing to be a part of this. I'll return the kindness in some way shape or form. But genuinely guys thanks for the welcome and advice.

marco and 77deluxe like this.
  9. 77deluxe Apr 29, 2018

Well, set an avatar, grab a cup of coffee and get to it.

10. Shabbaz Apr 29, 2018

Huh. It's a 135.011 right?!? So where is the 600 on the dial? This is a 135.011!

20170428_113952.jpg
  11. Shabbaz Apr 29, 2018

Dont like that t swiss made... seems no good

Screenshot_20180429-214631.png
  12. Shabbaz Apr 29, 2018