Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 16, 2020

Hi all, in the winter I bought a current Speedmaster and have really been enjoying it. I'm not a fan of the bracelet, and was thinking of putting one of the older variations on.
    I read a lot in the forums and am now more confused...
    The 1479 seems to be less sought after or liked.
    The 1450/808 seems to be the fan favorite but expensive and not as available.
    The 1171/633 is hollow and tinny, but very cool looking. And AVAILABLE from theboutique for only $450 bucks. I also read though, that the endlinks need to be filed down for a good fit?

Any assistance?

2. Tekashi_145.022 Jun 16, 2020

My 145.022 came with a 1171/633 and I wasn’t a fan of it. I am definitely in the minority on that, as they are very beloved - it is not unusual for folks to buy a new Speedy and put the older model bracelet on. In fact, I actually bought a 1998 bracelet for my 145.022 from someone who had a brand new Speedy and wanted to put a 1171/1 on theirs!

Personally, I found the quality of the 1171’s clasp cheap compared to the clasp of the newer bracelet (mine actually came with the adjustable Seamaster clasp). I was on the final micro adjustment of the clasp on my 1171, which fit my wrist well, but the entire clasp would flip up and snag on things from time to time. I could never get it to fit quite right.

That said, I understand the appeal of the vintage bracelets, and there’s a lot of joy to be had in them. The weight and balance is great, and I see why many enjoy the hollow jangly sound.

I did want to share some findings I had in my recent search for a Speedy bracelet. if you wanted to consider non-OEM bracelets, you’re in luck. Until recently, the options for non-OEM Speedy bracelets were fairly sparse. Over the next few months, however, that won’t be that case. Check out these prototypes, both with nods to their vintage roots (and both produced by respected names in the community, for hundreds less than an OEM bracelet):

Forstner Bands: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBRDPfqnxXc/?igshid=9sk7tteck0cc This actually has a few flex links, which is a cool nod to its vintage inspirations.

Uncle Seiko: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA0o4r7HB9F/?igshid=5gnmzm1k7gbr Uncle Seiko also makes a number of great bracelets for OMEGA you may find interesting, like a Mexican Holzer bracelet.

I’m sure others will have good insights to your specific questions - but hopefully the above is fun food for thought if nothing else. :)

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 16, 2020

1175 with 47 (or 640 ends) should do the trick. More common (on eBay), old school flat link look, no stretchy links.

1168 / 633 for the oyster look.

No pics since you didn't post your speedy..

4. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 17, 2020

Haha ok ok here's a pic!
    So 640 or 47 end links will not need and filing down as people have mentioned in other posts about 633's?

And I know 1171/633 can still be purchased through Omega. Can any other references you mentioned? Or am I paying the inflation on eBay?

received_259572418631384~2.jpeg
    Edited Jun 17, 2020
  5. arcadelt Jun 17, 2020

Why not consider getting a hold of the bracelet made for the Apollo XI 50th Anniversary reference. It’s a great approximation of the older flat-link bracelets, but with all the modern conveniences. Besides, it’s will be nice and shiny new to match your shiny new Speedmaster.

E0876BBF-03A4-4E98-839E-4C1B581A8442.jpeg

6. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 17, 2020

That's an option! Reference number? And is it the same speedy case/lug size?

7. arcadelt Jun 17, 2020

I don’t know the reference, as I bought it through a watchmaker because it needs some slight modification to fit, but there are threads on here where the part number is quoted, or you could ask your Boutique or AD. Apart from the modification That involves the removal of a small tab, it fits a standard Speedy perfectly.

Frunkinator likes this.
  8. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 17, 2020

Hey Arca, why would it need to be modified. Isn't it the same Speedy case and lug match?

9. ewand Jun 17, 2020

imageWIS, jB1128 and Frunkinator like this.
  10. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 17, 2020

11. 3rdstringholder Jun 17, 2020

Frunk, I have the 1171/633 on my modern Speedmaster. Like you, I feel the stock bracelet without any adjustability isn't that great. My local Omega Boutique happened to have an 1171 lying around and the watchmaker had experience filing the end links to fit. Yes, it rattles and subjecjectively could be considered cheap, but it has a certain vintage charm. Reminds me of a oyster bracelet on a Datejust I had in college in the early '80s. I like it enough that I don't see putting the original bracelet back on. Hope this helps.

Frunkinator likes this.
  12. RazorFrazer Jun 17, 2020

1171 / 633 is a good option !

13. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 17, 2020

Not wild about the idea of needing to sand down the endlinks though. We're the cases that different back them in comparison to current Speedy?
    No available options that are a correct fit out the box?

RazorFrazer likes this.
  14. RazorFrazer Jun 17, 2020

not that i know. get it done by OB its not hard at all. It will fit great.

15. 3rdstringholder Jun 17, 2020

My understanding is the filing is minimal. I've read elsewhere that sometimes the end links need no modification whatsoever. Maybe manufacturing tolerances? Can't speak to that, but what I do know, is that in my particular case, you can't tell it was modified. There is a lot of information about this on various watch blogs, not just Omega Forums. My first inclination was not to have any filing done, but the more I read, and the fact that my OB was experienced and comfortable with the project made me feel better. No regrets. Guess you gotta do what you feel good about.

looselywound and Frunkinator like this.
  16. arcadelt Jun 18, 2020

17. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 18, 2020