Forums Latest Members

I keep threatening to buy a modern watch......Updated

1. McKinley Jul 9, 2018

.....found this in an outlet store and love it. It is $160 and the cheapest I see it offered anywhere on the net is $388.99. Any quick feedback before I pull the trigger would be much appreciated.

McK

20180709_135624.jpg

Spruce likes this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 9, 2018

mine was bought to be that piece you wear when you're likely to damage it, a proper tool watch, disposable.

problem is the damn thing it so nice I can't bring myself to treat it that way.

buy it, enjoy it, just don't let @ulackfocus focus see it or he'll have his squirrel on you!
    P1010263.JPG

Foo2rama and McKinley like this.
  3. rcs914 Jul 9, 2018

Looks like it has LED illumination as well. Seems like a reasonable price if you like it. I personally would go for one of the Citizen Eco-drive chronos that has radio sync to the atomic clock as well, if I were looking for a quartz chrono. Or a Casio Oceanus, but they are really expensive. I paid $200 used each for the two I have, and those are three-hand models.

McKinley likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2018

It's quartz.

5. McKinley Jul 9, 2018

Forgive me, Father......for I have sinned. :whipped:

Vaylalo, Fritz, maanu and 2 others like this.
  6. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2018

Say 5 Hail Perrelets and 5 Our George Daniels.

Rman, Foo2rama, Fritz and 3 others like this.
  7. MPWATCH Watch Lover Jul 9, 2018

There are far better quality vintage watches that can be purchased for the same amount, BUT if it must be a modern watch, I would invite you to look around at Seiko. I've seen some insane automatic divers. Pass on this one!

Edited Jul 9, 2018
    Uniqez likes this.
  8. lustrousaurus Jul 9, 2018

I saw this model at TJ Maxx for $160. While intriguing with the lighting gimmick, I reconsidered it's spot in my collection.

McKinley likes this.
  9. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 9, 2018

If you like it and can afford it get it! IMHO it looks great :)

McKinley likes this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Jul 9, 2018

Sure, why not?

McKinley likes this.
  11. McKinley Jul 9, 2018

That is where I bought it. The tags remain on it, while I ponder it's "quartz-ness". I love the dial and the 42mm case though. Can't a guy have one quartz and still be a member in good standing? I mean, it's not a Kenneth Cole or a Claiborne, dude!

McK

Edited Jul 9, 2018
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 9, 2018

I have had a string of Victorinox Quartz last of which was a Maverick Dual time which the kid has how. (Currently at my watchmaker getting a new battery and service) They make a nice watch for the money. Cases are better than most. This Dive Master Mechanical will always be in my collection. For beater duty. Plus it’s just cool.
    2ABAA3D1-D8A8-46F5-825A-B025554316CC.jpeg

Spruce and McKinley like this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 9, 2018

Oh and by the way ... this is my other beater that lives in my gym bag. I wear it openly and without shame...
    2D36E498-27D3-4DA6-8E6C-8E8700C6B804.jpeg

14. Professor Jul 10, 2018

I've noticed the SEIKO SNN079P2 on sale for just over a C-note on some sites.

15. Wryfox Jul 10, 2018

$135 at Wally World. Looks like a million bucks...
    20160816_132033.jpg

Rowdy, Uniqez, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  16. McKinley Jul 10, 2018

That does look nice, @Wryfox. I have seen that reference before or one very similar. I like how the day and date window are black like the dial and not a different color. If I were on the design team, it would not be at 3 o'clock though. Not that anyone asked me. LOL I know some don't like day and date watches, but for a work or tool watch, I think they are very useful, just prefer the date at 6 o'clock or in a dress watch at 12 o'clock, as I have seen on some dress Longines and I am sure there are others. Just one man's two cents. But, I do like your watch.

McK

17. McKinley Jul 16, 2018

Hello All, I wanted to update this post even though I am probably considered part of the problem that this site is going downhill by @ulackfocus. I wanted to explain what I meant by "modern" watch, I guess and more. When I first created this thread I was just excited that I had found a watch that caught my eye for less than I imagined it could be found. Don't blame me, blame my Scottish Grandmother on my father's side. ;-) I do love the Panda design and I think it caught my eye because I simply miss my vintage Panda, that has been with my watchmaker for 2 months now. By modern, I meant, new. Not vintage and new to me. Every watch I have bought for years has been vintage and mechanical. Maybe by modern I even meant quartz? That would be "more modern" than mechanical in some people's eyes. I don't know, but I do know by modern I meant a watch larger than a 34mm Seamaster from 1963 or a 35mm Constellation from 1958 that I have been wearing and it meant that the dial lume still worked. The only other larger watch I own is a Speedy, sorry again, Dennis and larger has come to mean modern.....or vice versa. LOL There is another personal reason I will keep this watch, besides the fact I do love the dial. I lost one of my best friends in life to cancer 9 years ago. On my daughter's 4th birthday no less. Greg wore a Victorinox Swiss Army watch. This was before I got into watch collecting and wore cheap, plastic quartz watches only. When he told me he had paid a few hundred dollars for the watch, I couldn't fathom doing the same. LOL Oh, how times have changed, no pun intended. For the last week, while I did ponder if I would keep this quartz watch or not, every time I looked at the dial and saw the Victorinox symbol at 12 o'clock, I thought of Greg and smiled. And that alone is worth taking any flak Dennis or anyone else can dish out. Could I go and purchase a mechanical Victorinox or even the exact model Greg owned? I could, but then I wouldn't still be that guy that was amazed Greg had paid a few hundred dollars for a watch. I will make this my beater watch, the one I grab at 3:20 a.m when leaving for work and I won't have to set the time and wind it. It will be my camping watch and the flashlight "gimmick" may even come in handy. And I think I had become a bit of an elitist and only considered mechanical watches from prestigious brands worth my time and money. Any hobby should be about having fun and bring us joy. And I have enjoyed this watch and the memories of my friend it has it has reminded me of. End of introspection.

McK

P.S. My next "modern" watch (whatever that means) will be your Seiko 5, @Wryfox. I do like it.

Edited Jul 16, 2018
    larryganz, Larry S and BenBagbag like this.
  18. McKinley Jul 21, 2018

I found this Victorinox Officer's or Field watch, I believe the reference # is 24695 this afternoon, in the same antique shop as the Hema chronograph was found, nearly 2 weeks ago. It needs a cleaning and shows some wear, but it's an automatic and not a quartz, Dennis. Am I off double secret probation now and a member in good standing again? LOL Best of all, it probably isn't the exact same dial Greg had a dozen years ago, but it is very, very similar. I believe this would be their answer to an older reference he probably wore. I hope you approve @ulackfocus. ;-)

20180721_171851.jpg 20180721_171938.jpg

Foo2rama likes this.