Forums Latest Members

Drop end chrono hand on a modern Speedmaster?

1. Inpw Jun 9, 2019

Ever since buying a 3572.50 I've wondered if it were possible to mod it with a drop end chrono hand as I much prefer the latter's look on vintage models. I know the drop end is available from Omega with Luminova, so it should theoretically be possible. Has anybody tried this conversion on a modern Speedy, and if yes, care to share pictures?

2. nismo Jun 9, 2019

My FOIS has a drop tail second hand in addition to the bent hands seen on vintage Omegas. Here's a photo of my watch. Photo credit to Adam @ LewisWatch.

IMG_4582.jpeg

Seaborg, Risto, djmusicman and 5 others like this.
  3. Inpw Jun 10, 2019

Thanks!

4. DotOverNine Jun 11, 2019

5. djmusicman Jun 11, 2019

Looks like the one from this pic. I guess you have the insert bleached. Did he do anything to age the dial, apart from adding new lume?

speedy lewis watch co fois trio.JPG
  6. Risto Jun 11, 2019

That should be a dial of 3594.50 and it's relumed by Australian company, but they don't do that anymore.

7. nismo Jun 11, 2019

Yes, the one on the far left is my watch. I bought it end of April. Per the certificate he included, it doesn't mention any aging to the dial other than ZnS luminous material. The dial is otherwise a broad arrow 3594.50 as mentioned. All my original parts except hands (throw away items per him 1 time use) I still have. The bezel is "chemically faded" per the certificate as well, but not sure with what if bleach or not.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I will create a new thread on the modded watch sometime July 4th weekend as long as my flight back home isn't canceled (thanks Boeing 737 Max). I haven't seen it in person yet and my family is keeping it for the the time being. My OB has a Trilogy bracelet waiting for me to try on that weekend and my Jean Rousseau custom strap with butterfly deployant arrived this weekend (it's identical to FOIS strap, but in all black).

And to the OP, Adam told me the hands on my watch are 1960s originals. "The hands I used are actually 1960’s originals so yes they are bent down at the ends." So hope that helps with your modding adventure. :)

djmusicman likes this.
  8. ext1 Jun 11, 2019

Modern hands too are bent by the way, it’s not a trait exclusive to vintage hands

9. Inpw Jun 12, 2019

Thanks to everybody who contributed. I'll see what my watchmaker can do (he has an Omega parts account) and give it a go. If I don't like it, I can have it reversed anytime.